MMO for programmers

Guest MrE

I was sent this by a colleague this morning, I thought it was a fun idea and wanted to share in case anyone else thought this could be good fun :)

it will air Nov. 20th!

Source: http://www.screeps.com/

Looks interesting! I hope the tutorial's easy to learn, because I have no idea what the commands at the bottom of the screen are doing xD

EDIT:

Also, thanks for sharing.

Looks interesting! I hope the tutorial's easy to learn, because I have no idea what the commands at the bottom of the screen are doing xD

EDIT:

Also, thanks for sharing.

It says its aimed to be easy to learn, but hard to master. You can always give it a go once it launches :) - and I bet you can post in this programming section for help if need be ;)

EDIT:

This uses Javascript though..

What is the problem with that? JS is a nice language, I admit not my absolute favourite, but I do enjoy coding it in when doing the odd node project here and there.

Looks interesting however I am sure in the long run someone will just write a few common goto scripts and people will end up copy pasting a lot of commands or setting up a bunch of macros.

While I do see the potential I don't think it will get too far.

Javascript is easy to learn.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

No big deal Javascript is a solid language, not to mention extremely fast (most of your web content is powered by Javascript).

Looks like a game with needlessly long commands to do basic things, even as a programmer I find it pointless.

Need more info to form an opinion, but it sure is an interesting idea. Will keep it under my radar.

Want to solve problems? Check this out.

Just in time to get on Codecademy to learn JS :P

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile