Should i use a single ssd or use 2 ssd in raid 0?

str8jks

what is the actual performance difference as im not sure if there is anything major

Nothing that is noticeable in the real world, just synthetic benchmarks. However if you can get 2 120gb drives for cheaper than a 240, than go with raid 0.

RAID 0 will technically give you twice the performance, though given the speed of SSDs it really would be a waste of money if its just browser load times you're worried about. When buying storage media, especially SSDs, always take storage capacity over speed. SSD speeds will blow you away as is, and there is nothing worse than realising you need more space 3 months down the road.

For practical purpose, those times and speeds you will notice, a 240GB SSD will outperform a 120GB, as they are always slightly faster. The RAID0 perofrmance will only benefit the extreme benchmarks... Not anything you will need. So, if you only need 120, go 120. If you think you need more, don't RAID but buy a single, larger SSD...

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

If you're frequently transferring large files, then you'll definitely benefit from RAID 0. But a single drive is safer, though it's hard for an SSD to just up and die...

Really it comes down to cost. If you can get two 128GB SSDs for less than a 256GB SSD, then go for the RAID, and vice-versa. Either way you won't be disappointed.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I would probably stick with one 240 vs 2 120s in raid 0....as long as you dont do extreme editting/ rendering you wont notice a big difference.

PC 1: CPU: i5 12600k     GPU: RTX 4080     MOTHERBOARD: Asus B650M-A D4       RAM: 16x4 DDR4 3200       POWERSUPPLY: EVGA 650 G6  

SSD: WD Black gen 4 x2 + Crucial MX 500 x2           

KEYBOARD: Keychron K4    MOUSE: Logitech G502 SE Hero   MOUSE PAD: Goliathus control XL   MONITOR: Alienware AW3423DW + LG 25UM58 + Dell 24"  Speakers: Edifier R1280T + SVS PB1000

Laptop: M1 MacBook Pro 16                     

Ill do things differently

say you have a mean failure rate of 2years (that is to say after 2 years half your drives fail) per ssd.

if you have 1 drive running for two years then its a simple 50% likelihood of failing however.

if you have two drives in raid 0 then after 2 years the likely hood of one of the two drives is twice as likely i.e. after 2 years you have a 25% change your drives are still working.

X79A GD65 (8D), 3820, 7770, 16GB (1600Mhz cas9), 850watt(ocz zx), storm trooper, h100, xonar xense, sp2500, pc350, asus PA248Q LG 22'' ips, razor black-widow ultimate 2013, 120GB intel 520 series 128GB crucial M4 2*3TB barracuda 2*1TB barracuda 2TB Hitachi 

I was going to buy two Corsair Neutron GTX 120Gb SSD's and put them in RAID0. Now I red somewhere that the 240Gb version is much faster. Should i still buy 2 120Gb's or just the one 240Gb version.

I would defently just go with a single 240gb, its still a 10x performance boost over a regular hard drive

I would defently just go with a single 240gb, its still a 10x performance boost over a regular hard drive
ok thanks, but is the 120gb really slower than the 240gb?

unless you are working with huge files like HD videos or stuff like that or need a fast storage medium for recording high resolution videos with losless quality with a capture card. the the RAID 0 will help you a lot. but other than that for everyday usage and gaming and what not. just get a single high capacity drive. because it have less chance of fail and loss of data.

RAID is most useful when using with HDDs.

unless you are working with huge files like HD videos or stuff like that or need a fast storage medium for recording high resolution videos with losless quality with a capture card. the the RAID 0 will help you a lot. but other than that for everyday usage and gaming and what not. just get a single high capacity drive. because it have less chance of fail and loss of data.

RAID is most useful when using with HDDs.

cheers for that mate

A single SSD will out perform any raid config out there, It's up to you if you want to buy 1 large capacity SSD or buy 2 to get around the same. In my opinion it's not worth buying 2 SSD's if you can afford 1 higher capacity SSD

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

A single SSD will out perform any raid config out there, It's up to you if you want to buy 1 large capacity SSD or buy 2 to get around the same. In my opinion it's not worth buying 2 SSD's if you can afford 1 higher capacity SSD
im gonna get a 512gb ssd and run it with a 750 7200rpm hdd ill be left with a 128gb ssd that i was given dunno if i can fit it in and use it as a cache maybe or spare memory

i think you shouldn't do raid exept if you have a raid card to realy inprove performance. i would get a high end ssd instead of two lower grade ssd's and a raid card #justmyfilosophy