Apple announces new Mac Pro + Thunderbolt 2

Apple just recently announced their new Mac Pro.  The design is quite interesting and surprisingly small looking compared to most cases, and especially their last Mac Pro design.  The case is a cylinder, packing a Xeon CPU, Dual AMD Workstation GPUs, Thunderbolt 2 with 20GBps throughput - supporting up to three 4K displays. All at 1/8 the size of the current Mac Pro!

a.jpg

Read more at Engadget: http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/10/apple-mac-pro-2013-redesign/

And check out the updated website on apple : http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

How are they doing thunderbolt? Doesn't it require Intel HD Graphics?

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

why would you want to buy this? In the end you can't change ram or GPU or something stupid.

Looking at the size of it, I can't imagine that those dual workstation GPUs are desktop parts, I'd be they are laptop parts.

Looking at the size of it, I can't imagine that those dual workstation GPUs are desktop parts, I'd be they are laptop parts.

why not? i can see the 2 FirePro 2270 in there  -.-

But theyre worstation GPUs.. Never heard of a workstation GPU on a laptop

Yes there are workstation laptop GPU's i just haven't seen them for 5+ years. 

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

that because you never looked for it...you can get at least 100 different notebookes with a quadro or firepro

Looks pretty cool! They finally updated it, but I think I'll probably continue building hackintoshes. 

Yes there are workstation laptop GPU's i just haven't seen them for 5+ years. 

Just 2 years ago I had a ThinkPad with quaddro in it for school.

Holy shit that looks dumb. The one thing I could give credit for, the sleek simplistic design of apple products, now looks to turn into a horrible blunder.

Looks pretty cool! They finally updated it, but I think I'll probably continue building hackintoshes. 

Yeah, The thing that striked me most was the case. Its just something new, and in a small formfactor.

Also thunderbolt. Linus has shown interest in thunderbolt and the interesting things it can bring to small form factors. We've seen large amounts of hard drives, and even a movement towards an external PCIe casing to have desktop graphics, but on something like a laptop.

http://www.apple.com/mac-pro/

it is upgradeable with ram and PCIe flash storage 

Damn, that's one fancy webpage. 

That might be the best thing about Apple, their website has always been perfect.

Looking at the internal design, I take back my comment on it needing to be laptop workstation GPUs. They seem to have a custom cooler in the middle so that would cut down quite a bit on the size of the cards. I'm very impressed by the internal design. However, it's clearly not as upgradable as many pros would like I bet.

Holy shit that computer looks well designed ._. 

Case: Fractal Design R4 (x2 Noctua 140mm Fans, x2 Fractal Design Fans)            Processor: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.2GHz (Hyper 212 Evo)             Audioengine A5+ Black Speakers

Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G45 ATX LGA1155 Z77 DDR3                                           Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 1080 SC                                               Corsair K65 RGB Cherry MX Red

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4X4GB DDR3-1600                                                     Power Supply: OCZ Z-Series Semi Modular Gold 850W                 ASUS & LG 21.5 Monitor (Dual monitor arm)

Great for LAN party lol :)

What's the point of going to a LAN party if you can't play games xD.

Holy shit that computer looks well designed ._. 

For them to release a new one every year, aka the only way your going to get any real upgrades. 

For them to make unserviceable by the common user, better buy that applecare llol 

Main Rig: i5 760 @ 4.0GHZ Asus p7p55d-e, 8GB Corsair Vengance @ 1600 Mhz. Samsung BX2231 X 3 (5760x1080)

EVGA GTX 680 Superclocked +150/+500, 128GB Crucial M4, 1TB WD Black

Xonar DX, AudioEngine A2, Astro Mixamp, AudioTechnica ath-m50 & ath-ad700

i hate this design. it may look cool, but for a workstation you don't want cool you want funktionality.

What's the point of going to a LAN party if you can't play games xD.

it called using boot camp

it called using boot camp

you can't game with that. It has firepro cards, and is only 2,5 times as fast as a hd 5770.

~non cogito, ergo non sum?~

I like Apple design, but this looks like a trash can...