Project PS2

Jack.EXE

Try ditching the stock cooler for a better one if you can... The one on my A8 was as loud as a vacuum cleaner when I was gaming using integrated...

I've been thinking....

what if I mount the motherboard up side down? with the bottom facing the top, and the pcb hovering in the middle?

I could cover the backside in electrical tape, and mount the GPU above that?

I'm thinking I'll go with my original list, I just have to find a single slot GPU 6.7 inches or zhorter.

I've been thinking....

what if I mount the motherboard up side down? with the bottom facing the top, and the pcb hovering in the middle?

I could cover the backside in electrical tape, and mount the GPU above that?

That's a unique way to mount something... There's a vent on the lower front side of the PS2 fat so the cooler can suck air through that...

But the backside... Maybe squeeze the GPU into the expansion bay?

This looks interesting would like to see the end result. Followed

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Time for a quick update.

I just took an old IO sheild I had lying around, and an io plate for a GPU I had & stacked them, comparing them to the PS2, and that will not work.

I need a single slot GPU.

Good news is, I found one.

(refurb part, limited quantity, dont want any potential nabbers)

Only a little less powerful than what I intend to use, but a whole lot cheaper.

Maybe I can get a better CPU with the $40 this frees up?

I would get a pico PSU with that extra 40 ,save you so much space in your case . and would help a lot with heat.

I've been thinking about making a ps2 build, already stripped my old one down in preparation for the parts (thinking of getting some on black Friday, although I need to finish my main rig before I make PS2 HTPC.

EDIT: Parts I was planning on using;
Penitum G3258 / AMD A10-6800k (This option is more expensive but has dual graphics mode with my GFX card for higher performance).
Mobo: Depends on processor really but something around £50 mark.
Graphics card: 1gb AMD Radeon 6670 (Was my gpu in my rig before I got a 680).
RAM: 4gb / 8gb (depends on budget).
PSU: I really don't know, maybe BeQuiet 300w TFX Power 2 (But it's 5 mm to long so I'm going to have to work around that).
Storage 1: A 60gb SSD / M.2 SSD (Depends on the motherboard's compatibility with m.2 or not, and the price).
Storage 2: 1tb 5400rpm hdd (this is currently in my main rig but when I replace it will go towards the PS2 build).
Case: PS2 Fat.
Other 1: PCI extender / right angle.
Other 2: Dust filters and mesh.
Other 3: PS2 controller to USB.

And I will be (hopefully using my friends 3d printer for a backplate.

I would get a pico PSU with that extra 40 ,save you so much space in your case . and would help a lot with heat.

I dont have an extra $40 anymore, gotta find a new GPU again (too long)

This is fascinating. The nostalgia is strong in this one. I remember playing on the ps2 ALOT.

You know what would be awkward on this project? Playing PS2 games using an emulator (*ehem* PCSX2 *ehem*) on the system itself...

Anyways... nice project you got going there... Followed.

EDIT: Why go with Linux if you play to play PS2 games on it? Wouldn't Windows be more... ideal?

@ameteurpcguy mainly budget constraints, and I really like fedora.

It's a non issue considering I'll be playing source games locally and offloading most others to my windows PC using steam IHS.

@imthewalrus I'm going to use the original buttons for power & reset, by soldering a couple wires to the terminus of the ribbon cable.

I might pick up a usb to playstation adapter for the ports... we'll see.

• 3 weeks later...

all but two of the parts have finally arrived!

No pictures yet, gotta finish homework.

But I'm excited!

This and @ungreedy's NES make me want to get my old i5 out, buy it a new motherboard and RAM, then begin building it into a original Xbox 360.. Sadly I don't have money. :(

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Gloves? 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

Got a work space set up!

nice gloves

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Gloves? 

Gotta do some cutting, and I dont have the best luck with sharp things...

Gotta do some cutting, and I dont have the best luck with sharp things...

Ah. Well try not to injure yourself! :P

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

is that the slim one ?

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

is that the slim one ?

If your refering to the PS2 case then No, You would be hard pressed to fit a full PC into a PS2 slim. 

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

If your refering to the PS2 case then No, You would be hard pressed to fit a full PC into a PS2 slim. 

Yes sire I was referring to the case, I actually own one a slim PS2 it's a great console, now you shall excuse me sir I'll be watching the IT show and kuroko no basuke quietly.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650