What to do with a dead HD 6950 Directcu ii?

Hello everyone! I finally got around to posting this, but my HD 6950 Directcu ii died a couple months ago and got replaced by an HD 7970 Directcu ii. (Wanted to run 5 monitors before I found 3 matching dead-but-repairable ones in my dad's work's storage)

What to do with the old one? Having Asus repair it is a no go, because the MO-RON who owned it previously took of the serial number, (looked like an air compressor knocked it off without him noticing) and the store I bought it from got shut down. I have a pretty extensive knowledge on electronics, and I am 95% certain what the problem is. The onboard voltage regulators.

If I keep pressing the CMOS CLEAR button on my motherboard, after about 30 tries, I hear a high pitch squeal coming from the graphics card, and after about 10 iterations of squealing, I can get video. I got a GPU-z screenshot of the graphics card showing the wrong specs.

post-128204-0-00116500-1415936521.png

After many more reboots I got it to properly boot and it showed all the proper specs, but as soon as furmark started... furmarking, the card crashes, although with my new card in simultaneously, the computer still functioned on the new card. (Motherboard had no onboard graphics)

I know it isnt my motherboard, power supply, cpu, or ram, because it does the same in my friend's PC. It just started doing this out of nowhere, and it had a past history of always refusing to overvolt or reflash bios no matter what I tried. Is there anyone who would buy this card knowing its history/functionality? Right now, I am using it as a desk ornament just like Linus does.

if its 1hunna percent dead then #gpucoaster :D

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

1. Don't use it

2. Take apart cooler

3. Clean the cooler

4. Use gpu as coaster

5. Sell cooler

6. ???

7. Profit

if its 1hunna percent dead then #gpucoaster :D

lol might as well, the fans would do quite nicely unless someone wants it. If I had a soldering station with a hot air gun and the proper MOSFETS and inductors I could likely revive it.

You could give it to me so I can attempt at repairing it, and if it works then I can use it so I have a GPU to use rather than using my integrated intel hd 4600 graphics for gaming...

(Just got a new multi-purpose soldering gun today :D)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

lol might as well, the fans would do quite nicely unless someone wants it. If I had a soldering station with a hot air gun and the proper MOSFETS and inductors I could likely revive it.

if you can find a good use for it in a different pc then try and fix it :P always worth a try m8.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

You could give it to me so I can attempt at repairing it, and if it works then I can use it so I have a GPU to use rather than using my integrated intel hd 4600 graphics for gaming...

(Just got a new multi-purpose soldering gun today :D)

You lucky turd! I made a desoldering iron from plumbing parts, a 12v air compressor and a pickle jar, posted it on the 'tube. 

You lucky turd! I made a desoldering iron from plumbing parts, a 12v air compressor and a pickle jar, posted it on the 'tube.

Nice xD

The soldering gun I got is 140/100w, heats up fast enough to melt solder in under 5 seconds of holding down the trigger.

Heats up to about 900f :P

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Nice xD

The soldering gun I got is 140/100w, heats up fast enough to melt solder in under 5 seconds of holding down the trigger.

Heats up to about 900f :P

next thing I need to construct is a hot air pen. used for surface mount stuff. I will tell you know, surface mount is impossible even with a pencil soldering iron.

next thing I need to construct is a hot air pen. used for surface mount stuff. I will tell you know, surface mount is impossible even with a pencil soldering iron.

I'll bet it is.

Next thing I have to fix is the monitor I ordered off ebay for parts/repair, waiting for a new fuse to come in the mail....

I'll bet it is.

Next thing I have to fix is the monitor I ordered off ebay for parts/repair, waiting for a new fuse to come in the mail....

By the way, old CRT computer monitors are an absolute GOLD MINE for parts. In one of my other YouTube videos where I made an oscilloscope from junk, 100% of the parts used to make the audio amplifier were from another CRT computer monitor. Also in that video was an ATX computer power supply as a lab supply. They work wonderfully. If you want a tutorial on any of these, I would gladly help!

Throw it in the oven.

Seriously, it's a thing.....

Can revive old dead GPU's (to an extent)

Google-FU/Youtube-FU "Oven Bake GPU" and you'll be surprised if you didn't already know about it.

I've done it many times with multiple older dead 4870/5850 kind of cards.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

By the way, old CRT computer monitors are an absolute GOLD MINE for parts. In one of my other YouTube videos where I made an oscilloscope from junk, 100% of the parts used to make the audio amplifier were from another CRT computer monitor. Also in that video was an ATX computer power supply as a lab supply. They work wonderfully. If you want a tutorial on any of these, I would gladly help!

Yeah, I've got a old CRT outside my room, I checked the fuse and its 120v 4a sadly, for my monitor I need 120/250v 2a.

though I did manage to find it on ebay for about $3 or so, and a holder to match. (The one that was on the PCB already was stuck to the fuse, I tried heating it and that didn't work, so I just removed the entire thing.)

Throw it in the oven.

Seriously, it's a thing.....

Can revive old dead GPU's (to an extent)

Google-FU/Youtube-FU "Oven Bake GPU" and you'll be surprised if you didn't already know about it.

I've done it many times with multiple older dead 4870/5850 kind of cards.

I have seen this plenty of times, but I really do not think that the gpu is the problem. It appears to be the onboard voltage regulators. This technique did fix my old laptop for a while.

Yeah, I've got a old CRT outside my room, I checked the fuse and its 120v 4a sadly, for my monitor I need 120/250v 2a.

though I did manage to find it on ebay for about $3 or so, and a holder to match. (The one that was on the PCB already was stuck to the fuse, I tried heating it and that didn't work, so I just removed the entire thing.)

Get one of these if you are doing any electronics repair. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Small-12864-LCD-Transistor-Tester-Capacitance-ESR-Meter-Diode-Triode-MOS-LCR-NPN-/321404670717?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ad53612fd seriously, i have one of these and it is SO useful. It can identify and measure the specifications of almost any electronic component put into it. This includes testing a capacitor's capacitance and esr!