DAC for beyerdynamic custom one pro under $100usd

applesuxD
Go to solution Solved by creatip123,

I'll be getting a fiio amp

My source is gonna be a xonar DX

If you're planning on keep using xonar DX, then you won't need to get any DAC. You can only use 1 DAC at the time. It's either this or that. 

I need a DAC for the beyerdynamics :))

Someone recommend me more as I have these two in mind

Schiit modi

Mayflower objective dac

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

―  C.S. Lewis  :)

Either one will be fine, they are basically identical in performance.

The modi has a decent warranty if that means anything to you and looks a bit nicer IMO.

Edit: Do you already have an amp?

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

I need a DAC for the beyerdynamics :))

Someone recommend me more as I have these two in mind

Schiit modi

Mayflower objective dac

You're listing options of stand alone DACs. Those won't be useful in your application without an amp. Do you already have an amp?

Whats your source btw? Are you having any issue with noise?

Two revolutionary dance tones

“It would seem that Our Lord finds our desires not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.”

My source is gonna be a xonar DX

If you're planning on keep using xonar DX, then you won't need to get any DAC. You can only use 1 DAC at the time. It's either this or that. 

I think I'll go with DAC and amp

I wouldn't really need an amp right?

Its only 16 ohms

I wouldn't really need an amp right?

Its only 16 ohms

That depends highly on the headphone itself, how sensitive/efficient it is, to be exact. Headphones that are low impedance and low efficiency are the nightmare of amps, because then it'd require a lot of currents to drive it properly. An example of this is the Hifiman HE-6, 50 ohms, 83,5 dB/mW, one of the hardest (maybe it is THE hardest) headphone to drive in the market.

Let's start from the top then. You're already using xonar dx, correct? That is actually an AVR, DAC, ADC, and amp, integrated into one. Now for some reason, you're not satisfied with it, so you're looking for an alternative solution. 

Now in order for a headphone to work properly with a digital device (PC, smartphone, etc), you'd need a DAC and an amp. Now you got 2 choices:

- Keep using the xonar dx as the source, meaning you're using dx's DAC. In that case you'd only need to get an amp. Well, the dx already got an integrated amp, of course, but you're looking for a different solution, right?

- Stop using the xonar dx altogether, meaning you gotta get a new DAC + amp. You can go for separate devices, like the Modi + an amp (like the Magni), or go with a DAC/amp combo, like Fiio E10k. A DAC on its own can't drive a headphone properly, because it only output sound signal at line level (not nearly enough current to properly drive a headphone), and it got high output impedance rating, which in Modi's case, it's 75 ohms. If you 'forcefully' plug your headphone directly to the Modi's output, you'll get all sort of distortions and/or clippings.

That only applies if you're using onboard. You can't run headphone straight from a dac without an amp.

Says who? The guy in the other thread insisted that a Modi is ideal to drive a headphone on its own :D

*read the other thread, it made wizzie laugh a lot....

Says who? The guy in the other thread insisted that a Modi is ideal to drive a headphone on its own :D

*read the other thread, it made wizzie laugh a lot....

We need a repeat of this thread:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/148610-best-headphones-under-125/page-5

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

Kinda envy dat cancer guy though. He's the only person I've heard of that:

- Successfully use an external DAC along with PC's internal amp

- Have an ipod that output line level signal in its headphone jack. Must be a very rare collectible one.

- Have a Shure SE215 that runs properly on line level signal. Must be SE215SPSPSPSP, special special special special edition

- Found an M50X that could run on line level

So many rare stuffs.....

- Have an ipod that output line level signal in its headphone jack. Must be a very rare collectible one.

- Have a Shure SE215 that runs properly on line level signal. Must be SE215SPSPSPSP, special special special special edition

So many rare stuffs.....

Cancer is bad.

Gotta start working towards making LTT history with a thread like that though.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

So many rare stuffs.....

He has a Fiio D3 DAC, same one I'm using right now with my Lyr, I tried plugging in my $2 earbuds from walmart that I'm using temporarily til the HD800's show up, at max volume in windows, they were maybe like 50-60 db tops, nowhere near my normal listening volume lol

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

He has a Fiio D3 DAC, same one I'm using right now with my Lyr, I tried plugging in my $2 earbuds from walmart that I'm using temporarily til the HD800's show up, at max volume in windows, they were maybe like 50-60 db tops, nowhere near my normal listening volume lol

Apparently because you only use the D3 alone, while he's using D3 + PC's internal amp.....

Seriously, I have that bluetooth audio dongle thingy, the one that you plug in a pair of active speaker so your speaker becomes bluetooth speaker. Apparently it's also using line level, and when I try plugging my earpod into it, phew, all kind of distortions + no bass at all. 

Apparently because you only use the D3 alone, while he's using D3 + PC's internal amp.....

Seriously, I have that bluetooth audio dongle thingy, the one that you plug in a pair of active speaker so your speaker becomes bluetooth speaker. Apparently it's also using line level, and when I try plugging my earpod into it, phew, all kind of distortions + no bass at all. 

LOL