Video compression - What could I use?

What software can I use to compress video? If possible, the compression must not reduce the video quality.

What software can I use to compress video? If possible, the compression must not reduce the video quality.

Depending on the source file it might already be compressed to a level that doesn't decrease quality. I use Freemake for encoding and would recommend it(especially if you have a graphics card with Cuda).

Yes Handbrake is good but not the stable build its outdated.

It is not possible to not reduce the image quality when compressing a video. Whether it's a noticable change to us however is another story.

Uncompressed video files are massive. Like so massive its pointless to have them. Like a 1080p video, truly uncompressed as a DCP (which even that is slightly compressed. But I think DCPs are compressed without loss, but I could be wrong) will be about 10GB a minute. Unless you want something that is 10GB per minute, you are going to have to sacrifice quality. The good news though, is that you can lose a lot of quality before it become noticeable. You should try compressing with x265. This what the (rumored?) 4k Blu Rays will use. Use this if you can find software that can do that (I don't think Handbrake can, but I could be wrong) however, the older, x264 is still really really good and Handbrake for sure will be able to do that. Good luck!

I would extremely ultra highly recommend Handbrake. Despite what some of you may think, it's the best utility for this task IMHO. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

You should try compressing with x265. This what the (rumored?) 4k Blu Rays will use. Use this if you can find software that can do that (I don't think Handbrake can, but I could be wrong) however, the older, x264 is still really really good and Handbrake for sure will be able to do that. Good luck!

I'm 75% sure that Handbrake does use some form of x.265. Hence the

reason you can have videos with max video quality with small file size. ;)

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

I am a handbrake user, i find it does great for uncompressed to compressed.

You will lose quality no matter what you do unless you stay uncompressed, i do it to save file size, mostly YT uploads.

i7 5930k . 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666 DDR4 . Gigabyte GA-X99-Gaming G1-WIFI . Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP! 4GB SLi . Crucial M550 1TB SSD . LG BD . Fractal Design Define R2 Black Pearl . SuperFlower Leadex Gold 750w . BenQ GW2765HT 2560x1440 . CM Storm QF TK MX Blue . SteelSeries Rival 
i5 2500k/ EVGA Z68SLi/ FX 8320/ Phenom II B55 x4/ MSI 790FX-GD70/ G.skill Ripjaws X 1600 8GB kit/ Geil Black Dragon 1600 4GB kit/ Sapphire Ref R9 290/ XFX DD GHOST 7770 

Uncompressed video file are massive and can only compressed a little losslessly and will still be huge.

What you can do is transcode to h.265 or h.264 with VBR (variable bitrate vs CBR , constant bitrate)

If you want to keep it locally you can have the bitrates really high.

So

1080p --> 20,000kbps average and 50,000kbps Max

720p --> 12,000kbps average and 30,000kbps Max

(These can be messed with quite a bit and can be changed quite readily depending on the type of content)

For uploading to YouTube unless you have a beast of a connection try

1080p --> 8,000kbps average 20,000kbps max

720p --> 6,000kbps average 16,000kbps max

again if the file is too huge and Still very sharp drop the bitrates and do it again. If its too grainy Up the bit rate until you reach a Quality your happy with.

Don't delete original copies unless your completely satisfied with the compressed, It is impossible to get them back them from the compressed ones.

Happy encoding!

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China