upgrade from gtx 670 to 970?

blaze124
Go to solution Solved by LmeAde2,

Yes, an EVGA GTX 970 SC w/ ACX 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVODXR4 would give you a significant performance boost for that resolution and even just at 1080p. You can probably still get a decent amount if you sell your current 670. You could expect almost double the frame rate.

67884.png

i currently have a msi gtx 670 power edition, i was wondering if the 970 would give me a good performance boost since it has more VRAM. i have a triple monitor setup 3840x1024 thanks in advance for the help.

the 970 gives a performance boost in every way compared to the 670 as its a current gen card. But to answer that question on whether you should upgrade, it depends on what you are doing with the pc and are you happy with the fps on the games you play

How many computer programmers does it take to change a light bulb?

None, that's a hardware problem.  :D

the 970 gives a performance boost in every way compared to the 670 as its a current gen card. But to answer that question on whether you should upgrade, it depends on what you are doing with the pc and are you happy with the fps on the games you play

on most games im ok with my FPS but on more demanding games like metro 2033 i get around 25fps and if alots going on around me it drops to like 19fps was hopeing a 970 could get me to atleast 30fps i come from console games so im not gonna complain if all my games dont run at 60fps i try to keep them atleast above 30fps

Yes, an EVGA GTX 970 SC w/ ACX 2.0 http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NVODXR4 would give you a significant performance boost for that resolution and even just at 1080p. You can probably still get a decent amount if you sell your current 670. You could expect almost double the frame rate.

67884.png

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

67884.png

hmm damn thanks and yeah i was gonna sell my 670 got a few people lined up who want to buy it

EVGA ACX has a defective cooler. Further the answer selected as "Best Answer" is not really telling the full story and kind of misinformation as it depicts the FTW Edition that has a non defective cooler and not the regular ACX which clocks much lower, has a loud cooler and has to compensate for a defective heat pipe arrangement. Avoid ACX 2.0 and get something else.

Screenshot2_zps7ebe92ee.jpg

EVGA ACX has a defective cooler. Further the answer selected as "Best Answer" is not really telling the full story and kind of misinformation as it depicts the FTW Edition that has a non defective cooler and not the regular ACX which clocks much lower, has a loud cooler and has to compensate for a defective heat pipe arrangement. Avoid ACX 2.0 and get something else.

This is old news and is not valid. The ACX 2.0 cooler has no problems. The graph also shows the stock version so you can expect the one linked to be just shy of the FTW performance.

Cooler Master HAF XB EVO, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, i7-4790K @ 4.5GHz, Corsair H100i, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC, Corsair Vengeance Pro 2X8GB 1866Mhz CL9, 2X Crucial M500 960GB, EVGA SuperNOVA 1050 GS, ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q w/ nVidia 3D Vision 2

this is a gtx970 ACX, the ACX 2.0 is fixed and ready to rock.

btw the FTW, superclock and standard acx 2.0 all share the same cooler...the first batch was ACX cooler from the gtx 700 series this is why it miss aligned on the pipes like that, its all fixed now...still i would recommend something else from gigabyte or msi. reason is that the fans on the evga cards are loud and cheap.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

this is a gtx970 ACX, the ACX 2.0 is fixed and ready to rock.

btw the FTW, superclock and standard acx 2.0 all share the same cooler...the first batch was ACX cooler from the gtx 700 series this is why it miss aligned on the pipes like that, its all fixed now...still i would recommend something else from gigabyte or msi. reason is that the fans on the evga cards are loud and cheap.

For the millionth time that is the ACX 2.0 cooler and it is not fixed and never will be cause EVGA needs to get rid of this shit on stupid people so that they can meet their profit margin and appease share holders. EVGA denies that the cooler is a defective POS and refuses to fix it.

Screenshot34_zps5bcc0a65.jpg

This is the EVGA ACX 2.0 used on all EVGA GTX 970 cards except the FTW edition which sports an improved and non defective cooling unit to handle the high OC.

"ACX 2.0 is a new cooling solution from EVGA that comprises a triple heat pipe heatsink and a pair of 85mm fans. The copper, U-shaped heat pipes are nickel plated and are designed to make direct contact with the GPU. However, as you can see from the thermal goo outline, only two actually touch the GPU, which will significantly reduce the effectiveness of the third one."

bit-tech.net review

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/3

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/

For the millionth time that the ACX 2.0 cooler and it is  not fixed and never will be cause EVGA need yo get rid of this shit on stupid people so that can meet their profit margin and appease share holders. EVGA denies that the cooler is a defective POS and will not fix it.

This is the EVGA ACX 2.0 used on all EVGA GTX 970 cards except the FTW edition which sports an improved and non defective cooling unit to handle the high OC.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/graphics/2014/09/19/nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review/3

http://www.eteknix.com/evga-respond-possible-design-flaw-gtx-970-acx/

damn well that sucks for EVGA, glad i know about that now, but i had my sights set on the gigabyte G1