Cooler Master Storm Devastator Review (A Must See)

Cooler Master Storm Devastator

First, I will start off by saying that my main driver is a Logitech G710+ and a G602, so quality is a factor when purchasing products. I purchased this set for a client gaming build, and I was very surprised. Here are the pros and cons for both items

Keyboard:

Pros:

-The keys! They actually feel mechanical, even though they are membrane. They have a sort of tactile feedback without the noise of springs. I would (almost) argue that they have a better feeling then Cherry MX, but are slightly harder to type on. Then again, its practically a 20 dollar keyboard.

-The backlighting is bright, but not too bad. All the space under the keys are lit up, as well as the tops of the caps.

-Full 10 key layout for maximum usage, but in a slightly compact form factor.

-Normal key layout that most people should be familior with.

-Dedicated media keys and volume up/down (no mute)

Cons:

-On or off backlighting, and when off the lettering is near to impossible to see. So basically all black keys.

-No software support for macros (knew this before purchasing)

-Raised keys, which may feel different at first for people used to using flat keys. (Similar to mechanical keycaps)

Mouse:

Pros:

-Fairly comfortable, palm grip feels good and claw grip is possible (more of a palm mouse though).

-Clicky right/left buttons feel normal, nothing exceptional though

-Smooth scroll wheel with clicky increments.

-DPI switch for on the fly changes in games.

-Forward/back keys on the left side.

-Rubber grip on the front side for 2 two outside fingers.

-Awesome looking lighting down the middle, on the scroll wheel, and even on the front like a car grill.

Cons:

-Again, no marcos, which is understandable for a 10 dollar mouse.

-Not much support for the outside fingers.

-Light always stays on.

To wrap it up, these are both exceptional products for 30 dollars (I say about 20 for the keyboard, 10 for the mouse). There is nothing else on the market name brand like this for that price. This is also a good entry keyboard for someone who doesn't know if a mechanical keyboard is good for them since it sort of has the correct feel. I can easily recommend this for any gamer with any system, or even for someone who wants a good looking setup. It has a passive aggressive look that is hard to produce, but Cooler Master hit the ball out of the park on this one.

HD potato pictures:

1EAV62i.jpg

OBoVwSR.jpg

DSN231l.jpg

EBzGj2f.jpg

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Microphone:  Blue Yeti - Webcam: Logitech C920 - Monitors: 3x Dell S2415H 

Almost feel mechanical you say? I might pick one up just because I'm curious, and then give it to one of my friends who haven't used mechanical yet.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Almost feel mechanical you say? I might pick one up just because I'm curious, and then give it to one of my friends who haven't used mechanical yet.

Yes, without the clicky feeling and sound. Like a mix of mechanical and membrane. Feels very good, and the keyboard itself is worth 30 dollars IMO.

The Grey Squirrel

CPU: i7-6700k @ 4.8GHz - CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3 - Motherboard: ASUS Z170-E - GPU:  ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL

Case: Inwin 303 - RAM: 4x8GB Corsair LPX Storage: 2x Samsung 850 EVO 500GB - PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W

Mouse: Logitech G502 Wired / Bungee Keyboard: Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Headphone: Sony MDR- 1R

Yes, without the clicky feeling and sound. Like a mix of mechanical and membrane. Feels very good, and the keyboard itself is worth 30 dollars IMO.

Alright, looks like I'm picking it up! I'll probably use it to take to LANs and such so I don't have to bring my mechanical everywhere. Great review btw! nice and to the point.

I'm that guy with the GPD Win.

Alright, looks like I'm picking it up! I'll probably use it to take to LANs and such so I don't have to bring my mechanical everywhere. Great review btw! nice and to the point.

Thanks! Just trying to spread the word. This is a great keyboard for LAN parties, since its kinda smallish.

The Grey Squirrel

was planning on buying this, thanks for the review!

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit

I've tried it out and the keyboard didn't feel mechanical to me IMO. But they definitely feel really good considering it's a membrane. 

The mouse is super comfortable in my hands however. I wouldn't mind using that mouse at all.

Give me the rice

I've tried it out and the keyboard didn't feel mechanical to me IMO. But they definitely feel really good considering it's a membrane.

The mouse is super comfortable in my hands however. I wouldn't mind using that mouse at all.

Have you tried a mechanical keyboard? No its not perfect, but they fooled me at first and I had to recheck the box.

The Grey Squirrel

Have you tried a mechanical keyboard? No its not perfect, but they fooled me at first and I had to recheck the box.

I have tried a mechanical keyboard. In fact, I actually own and use one on a regular basis. The Devastator keyboard definitely still feels like a membrane, but it's the best membrane keyboard I've ever used. 

Give me the rice

I have been thinking about picking up one for my Mini Hackintosh since the case has blue LED lighting and I think it will match up nicely.

\

Yea I tried these yesterday and the keys do feel and sound almost mechanical, and yea the keys are basically unreadable without the backlight.

Specs are on my profile page

Teach a man to fish and he ends up sticking a screw driver in a turned on power supply seeing if it still works.        #KilledMyWifeWithABomb            Resolution is just a number

I am actually using the (red) devastator keyboard on my gaming computer now, simply because it was on sale on newegg. the mouse was super comfortable, but the scroll wheel started acting up after a few days and causing a page to bounce up and down while scrolling in one direction, and I've gone back to my logitech mouse. keyboard rocks, very responsive. the mouse is cheap though..

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I am actually using the (red) devastator keyboard on my gaming computer now, simply because it was on sale on newegg. the mouse was super comfortable, but the scroll wheel started acting up after a few days and causing a page to bounce up and down while scrolling in one direction, and I've gone back to my logitech mouse. keyboard rocks, very responsive. the mouse is cheap though..

I too have the red version, my scroll wheel is doing exactly what you described, really sucks when playing CS:GO and I go to switch to my pistol and pull out my knife. Mouse scroll wheel also makes a grinding noise randomly. Gonna get a better mouse at some point.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

Almost mechanical? I guess if you consider a mustang almost a Ferrari. It feels nothing like a mechanical keyboard, but it's very nice for 30 dollars.