Quiet PSU

JimmyGrimble

I am putting together a list of components to save up for for my next build. Can anyone recommend any good 650w-750w quiet power supply? It doesn't need to be silent but as quiet as poss would be a plus. Thanks :)

The Seasonic X750 Gold is one of the best in my opinion, it has the Hybrid switch on the back of the PSU. The fan does not come on tell the PSU reaches 20% and even when it kicks on its very very quiet. It also is fully Modular :)

Here is a link to the PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151087

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

Corsair AX750 or AX750I are good. The fan doesn't run until needed. I have a AX 850 in my build.

The Corsair AX series only start their fans at about 20% load so that may be worth looking into. Another option you have is to undervolt the fan as the fans just plug into a 3pin header on the PSU.

I was recommended Seasonic X-series by Brian from NCIX, and you can find it in varying wattages

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I would go with the Corsair AX760i. The manufacturer is Flextronics which makes great PSU's.

AMD Phenom II 955BE 4GHz@1.4v

Corsair H100 w/ Silverstone AP122

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 NB@2600MHz

G.Skill 2x4GB 7-7-7-21

XFX HD5870 Crossfire

128GB OCZ Vertex 4

2TB WD Green Raid 0

Corsair AX850

Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced

+1 for anything Seasonic

Main rig: i7 3770K @ 4.54, Sapphire R9 290, Sabertooth Z77, 16 GB Mushkin Redline 2133, Lian Li PC-P50R, Seasonic 860xp Platinum, Kingston Hyper X 3K 240GB

freeNAS server: AMD Athlon II 170u 20W, 5 x 3TB WD Red in raid-z1 (12 TB)

media centre: AMD A10-5700, crucial M4 (boot), running XBMC,4 x 3TB WD Red, 3 x 3TB WD green + 2TB green in FlexRAID (17 TB)

Can anyone even buy a loud PSU these days? Name brand-wise, not those door stops that come free with cases :P

Thanks everyone :) Seasonic X series or Corsair AX it will be!! :)

Be Quiet!'s Dark Power Pro 10 or E9 models are quiet. It's kind of the point of their company.

Any unit with a high-efficiency should suffice, given you don't run it at too higher of a load level.

As for a specific unit, it depends on what you want from it. Even something like an S12II/HCG/Core Edition would suffice, though you could go for a AX or X-series unit (which are actually the same unit, though there's an older and newer version of each) if you prefer the better reliability and such.

My 5 year old hx1000 seams quiet to me (probably cause it s too big anyway and it doesn t produce enough heat to ramp up the fan at idle)

Anything I write is just a comment, take is as such, there is no guarantees associated with anything I say.

ATX Portable rig (smaller than prodigy(LOL)) :  Nmedia 2800 | Gigabyte Z77x-ud3h  | Corsair HX1000 | Scythe Big Shuriken | i5 3570K  |  XFX R9 290 DoubleD | Corsair Vengeance 32GB