Idiots plugging in power into the wrong spots what will happen

shayned1997

So my friend had an RMA from msi and the board worked fine. My other friend put the computer together for him and put the 6+2 min gpu connector into the cpu plug on the moboard and the 8 pin cpu plug into the gpu. When they turned on the computer the motherboard fried what are the odds that the gpu is dead as well.

The 6+2 pin connector doesn't even fit in the 8-pin CPU connector what the actual fuck did he do with it.

The shapes on the pins don't match.

CPU: i7 - 2600kGPU: GTX 1070Mobo: intel somethingRAM: Corsair XMS3 @1600Mhz (8GB)SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB. HDD: WD Green 1TB . Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Monitors: LG 25UM65-P and Benq 2200HD Keyboard: Corsair vengeance K70 FPS Red switch. Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Core. Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

he wrecked it lol

My Main Build: NZXT S340 - NZXT Kraken X31 - Crucial MX100 256GB - i5 4460 - Gigabyte Z97P D3 - Kingston HyperX Red 8GB - MSI Nvidia GTX 780 3GB - Corsair LL & HD RGB Fans, Corsair Lighting Node Pro. 

on the topic title:

i once had a call from a guy who said power went out after he plugged in tool.
turns out the socket where he plugged into once was a lamp connection converted into a plug/socket whatever it is in english, so it was connected to a dimming unit in the electric case (sorry have no idea what you call it in english :$) so that unit burnt out, i said: i'm disconnect all this, and put the wires behind the wall, close the hole and never use it again for anything else then a lamp. It ended up costing a lot :P because it was a expensive unit xD we had a good laugh after it, so it's ok :P

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

on the topic title:

i once had a call from a guy who said power went out after he plugged in tool.

turns out the socket where he plugged into once was a lamp connection converted into a plug/socket whatever it is in english, so it was connected to a dimming unit in the electric case (sorry have no idea what you call it in english :$) so that unit burnt out, i said: i'm disconnect all this, and put the wires behind the wall, close the hole and never use it again for anything else then a lamp. It ended up costing a lot :P because it was a expensive unit xD we had a good laugh after it, so it's ok :P

wtf lmao

The 6+2 pin connector doesn't even fit in the 8-pin CPU connector what the actual fuck did he do with it.

The shapes on the pins don't match.

Actually it does fit. I always warn people not to do that. The squared pins don't fit in the rounded holes, but it does work the other way round.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

Actually it does fit. I always warn people not to do that. The squared pins don't fit in the rounded holes, but it does work the other way round.

so do you think the gpu is dead?

There is a chance it is dI'd I would plug it in anot her computer to test it if you have another computer to do so

so do you think the gpu is dead?

Most likely the GPU is dead, yes. If you look at the connectors you'll see that on the 6-pin and the 8-pin most of the black and yellow wires are the other way round, and hooking a power supply up backwards is notoriously bad for electronics.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

It's probably dead. They are keyed for a reason, lol. How they managed to screw that up... I just, like... you would've needed a lot of force to bypass the keying on the connectors.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Arthur C. Clarke
Just because it may seem like magic, I'm not a wizard, just a nerd. I am fallible. 

Use the quote button or @<username> to reply to people | Mark solved troubleshooting topics as such, selecting the correct answer, and follow them to get replies!

Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials Troubleshooting Section

...........THE CABLES ARE LABELED ON MOST PSUS TODAY.........
How even??

Try the GPU in another machine, but it's likely dead. If it is, RMA it as DOA and don't even mention that someone plugged it in the wrong place....

Spoiler

I7 4790K @4.5 Ghz 1.294V

VALIDATION, MSI Z97 Gaming 7, 24GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix 1070 8GB OC@ 2.2Ghz, Corsair graphite series 760T (Black), Cooler master V850, NH-D15 w/LNA ,1TB Samsung 850 Evo,  480GB Sandisk Ultra II SSD, 3TB Seagate Barracuda x 3, 1 TB WD Passport (Backup drive), 2 TB WD Passport (Backup Drive 2),  Windows 10 Pro x64 (uhg), Logitech G900 Chaos (Main), Steelseries Rival (FADE) (Courtesy of Edzel Yago, Thanks Ed), Steelsieres Rival 300 Hyperbeast Special Edition, Coolermaster Quickfire TKL (MX Blue), Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition (Greens).  Audio: Sennheiser HD598 SE, Edifier S1000DB, AudioEngine D1 DAC; Yamaha MG06X Mixer & AudioTechnica AT2020.

Phones; Daily drivers: Nexus 6P 64GB/iPhone 6 (Music), Apple Watch, Apple AirPods.

Laptop: 2015 Macbook Pro 13, 8GB of RAM, 2.7Ghz i5, 240GB Apple SSD. 

Spoiler

Plex Server: i7 3770, Gigabyte Board, 16GB DDR3 1600, Asus Strix GTX 1050ti 4GB, 120GB SSD Boot Drive, 8 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda, Rosewill RSV-R4000 With 2 Rosewill Hot Swap 4x Backplane Bays, 1050 Watt Corsair HX Series PSU,Hyper T2, Windows 10 Pro 

I also do Youtube, check me out!