GTX 780 SLI

Gauzl

How well would 2 GTX 780s perform in SLI with a i7 4770k clocked over 4.2ghz compared to GTX 680s? I always found on low demanding games I only get a small percentage of usage and don't get the fps the cards are more then capable of getting.

? Are you finding that you're capped at 30 or 60 frames per second? If so, vertical sync may be enabled somewhere.

Bear in mind that your monitor will only be able to display 60 frames per second unless it is 3D ready anyway, in which case it'll be able to display 120.

<p>On low demanding games, it's usually the CPU that shows the extra performance. 780s will crush a 680 badly. Also, as Smurg said, your display can only display so many images per second. You either have Adaptive Vsync or Vsync enabled.</p>

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

On low demanding games, it's usually the CPU that shows the extra performance. 780s will crush a 680 badly.

Yeah, 780s will definitely crush the 680s, but only in GPU-bound games.

Yes guys I have a 120hz monitor and have v sync set to adaptive so it only activates if my fps is over 120

Yes guys I have a 120hz monitor and have v sync set to adaptive so it only activates if my fps is over 120

What GPUs do you have currently? 680s?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

And in the most demanding games such as crysis 3 and metro do the GPU's work at over 90% each yet anything else and they will go from 60% to 10% each.

And in the most demanding games such as crysis 3 and metro do the GPU's work at over 90% each yet anything else and they will go from 60% to 10% each.

Does your FPS ever dip? From what I see, the 780s in SLI will help maintain a better minimum FPS so the dipping doesn't occur as badly(or at all).

What FPS are you getting in the 'non demanding' games? If the GPU only needs to run at 10% to give you a usable frame rate it would just be wasting electricity to use more.

if you are not happy with how your 680's are performing, wich is weird because i'm happy with mine. Just go with just 1  780 , still not happy 780 sli, they are expensive so don't just buy 2 from the start, if you could be happy with just one. but 2 780's will do a homerun on 2 680's without a doubt

I7 3930K @4.4 GHz  /  Asus rampage 4 formula  / 4x 8gb kingston hyperx blue low profile / gtx 980  / 2x ssd 500gb samsung 840 / 500gb 840evo ssd   /  500 GB WD blue /  windows 7 ultimate
my build: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/133477-750d-finished/

Sounds like a bottleneck somewhere. If you're not getting 99% usage on both 680's now then it's only going to get worse on 780's. What speed is your PCIe lanes for both cards?

Also with 120hz monitors you should turn off VSYNC. You don't need it since there shouldn't be any screen tearing if you go above 120fps.

Sounds like a bottleneck somewhere. If you're not getting 99% usage on both 680's now then it's only going to get worse on 780's. What speed is your PCIe lanes for both cards?

Also with 120hz monitors you should turn off VSYNC. You don't need it since there shouldn't be any screen tearing if you go above 120fps.

Screen tearing occurs when the FPS is more than the display can actually display. It'll happen with all displays if the FPS is above the refresh rate.

Screen tearing occurs when the FPS is more than the display can actually display. It'll happen with all displays if the FPS is above the refresh rate.

I've never had screen tearing on a 120hz monitor no matter if its 60 FPS or 200 FPS. On a 60Hz monitor I'd get screen tearing even with vsync on.

I've never had screen tearing on a 120hz monitor no matter if its 60 FPS or 200 FPS. On a 60Hz monitor I'd get screen tearing even with vsync on.

Sometimes it's also application bound too. In Batman Arkham City, during cutscenes, I get tearing even with Adaptive Vsync on. I have no way of testing your statement, because my monitor is only 60Hz.

Sometimes it's also application bound too. In Batman Arkham City, during cutscenes, I get tearing even with Adaptive Vsync on. I have no way of testing your statement, because my monitor is only 60Hz.

Strangely enough, if I use vsync I get screen tearing and stuttering. Maybe I've had good luck with 120hz monitors because I don't get screen tearing with vsync off.

Strangely enough, if I use vsync I get screen tearing and stuttering. Maybe I've had good luck with 120hz monitors because I don't get screen tearing with vsync off.

Eh, computers are weird sometimes.

Eh, computers are weird sometimes.

They sure are. I've had two 120hz monitors and its been the same for both. That's why I assume its like that for all of them.

Interesting.

I thought Linus said the performance difference between a 680 and 780 was 10% - Don't expect huge differences between both of them but if you are playing games where you see the FPS dip into the 20's .....then yes ... if you were in the 30's the game would be a lot smoother.   Your cpu surely isn't a slow point.  I am running SLI 580's and I wish I had atleast 680's so I wouldn't sometimes run into frame issues at real high res

Home Machine:

Ryzen 5900x Processor - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

ASUS PG348Q Monitor -- Samsung 34" TV -  1080ti Card

NAS:

Ryzen 5600x - 64gb Ram - 10gig Fiber

Hot Swap 3u - Redundant Power

could be the mobo most the mid boards are only 8x +8x pci with u sli that slow it down some. but is should not be stuttering when playing.
downclock the chip and mem  like - 50 and see if that helps that tell u if gpu or is maybe some thing alse
if down clocking works then u got gpu prob . if still doing it try nivida settings if still  after that try your ddr3 ram add little more volt. take it from like 1.5 to 1.53

i also have 2 gtx 780 and they run any thing lol.. 

check some your nivida settings 

I thought Linus said the performance difference between a 680 and 780 was 10% - Don't expect huge differences between both of them but if you are playing games where you see the FPS dip into the 20's .....then yes ... if you were in the 30's the game would be a lot smoother.   Your cpu surely isn't a slow point.  I am running SLI 580's and I wish I had atleast 680's so I wouldn't sometimes run into frame issues at real high res

It's way more than 10%, especially if you're not into manual overclocking since the 780 will use GPU boost 2.0 to effectively OC itself.

could be the mobo most the mid boards are only 8x +8x pci with u sli that slow it down some. but is should not be stuttering when playing.

downclock the chip and mem  like - 50 and see if that helps that tell u if gpu or is maybe some thing alse

if down clocking works then u got gpu prob . if still doing it try nivida settings if still  after that try your ddr3 ram add little more volt. take it from like 1.5 to 1.53

i also have 2 gtx 780 and they run any thing lol.. 

check some your nivida settings 

It could definitely be this. You may actually be better off with a single card (be that 690, Titan, 780 or if you wait for 790).

It's way more than 10%, especially if you're not into manual overclocking since the 780 will use GPU boost 2.0 to effectively OC itself.

It could definitely be this. You may actually be better off with a single card (be that 690, Titan, 780 or if you wait for 790).

Not necessarily. You'll use one 16x slot for two GPUs. It's effectively x8 per GPU.

Not necessarily. You'll use one 16x slot for two GPUs. It's effectively x8 per GPU.

Assuming you're addressing the 690/790 part specifically (this is not true for the 780/Titans), those GPUs are underclocked and adjusted accordingly for the PCIe slot limitation.