Power Supply died

Columbo

A quick question. I have a backup 480 watt power supply while I research a 700+ watt replacement. Does the I5 3570k need more than one of the 4 plug CPU power plugs on the motherboard? I had 2x the 4 pin power connectors on my dead power supply. I had both of them plugged in on my 3570k. I checked on my backup system that has only one 4pin CPU power plug on a Q6600 quad core.

I want to make sure my time is not wasted on an old power supply that I hope will work for up to 1 week.

Has anybody got a 460w power supply to boot up with a 7950 or similar card? I have to ask if I need to take out the Graphics card and run on integrated graphics until I get a new power supply.

No, it doesn't need more than that. The other 4pin is for more oc'ing power. 

A 7950 can run off of a solid 450w but I wouldn't try it on anything like a no-name brand which is what your psu seems to be.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

No, it doesn't need more than that. The other 4pin is for more oc'ing power. 

A 7950 can run off of a solid 450w but I wouldn't try it on anything like a no-name brand which is what your psu seems to be.

It's an old Thermaltake power supply from 2006 era plus or minus a year or two. It's actually 480watts. During it's day it was a high end PSU. The next one is 550w but I didn't bother taking it out of the system I am writing on. This one has a Q6600 running at 3.3ghz with a Thermalright 120mm heatsink. The original Thermalright 120. It has 8GB of ram DD2 1000mhz and an 8800GT. It's a classic in terms of computers. It has an Samsung F1 1TB hard drive.

It's an old Thermaltake power supply from 2006 era plus or minus a year or two. It's actually 480watts. During it's day it was a high end PSU. The next one is 550w but I didn't bother taking it out of the system I am writing on. This one has a Q6600 running at 3.3ghz with a Thermalright 120mm heatsink. The original Thermalright 120. It has 8GB of ram DD2 1000mhz and an 8800GT. It's a classic in terms of computers. It has an Samsung F1 1TB hard drive.

I'd suggest getting a new psu for the 7950. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.