Computer Shuts Off Without Warning

Rohit Jackdaw
Go to solution Solved by Striker579,

I have a possible fix you could try, if it works it is very simple. Enable v-sync for that game and see if you still crash. Just a hunch, and i dont feel like going into explaining why I think it will help if this does not solve your problem.

My Computer has :

AMD FX 8320 at 4.2 Ghz

Cooler Master Hyper 212X

ASRock Fatality Motherboard

MSI GTX 760 Overclocked

8 GB RAM

Corsair VS 650

1 TB HDD

I have a weird issue with my pc. When playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for half an hour the pc shuts off without warning. This happened 4 months ago and I deleted the game(Not because of this).After that I completed playing Sleeping Dogs, Metro series and other high end games for long hours and no issues. Today I tried playing Euro Truck again and it repeated the previous issue of shutdown without warning again. Can I ignore this and not play that junk game or is it something to care ? Temps are GPU 76 C and CPU 65 C max while Prime95 and very intensive games. I know CPU temp is high butnits not that high to cause all these issues and since I can plah high end games fine then I don't know what to do. Thanks.

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

I have a weird issue with my pc. When playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for half an hour the pc shuts off without warning.

If it's an instant shutoff like you pulled the cord, then it's most likely your power supply. Temperatures should be in check with that CM212. Seems to be related to just that game.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

How are the temps in other games?

CPU sometimes around 55-60C and GPU around 70-75C. Other games I meant Grid, Dirt.etc

| CPU: Intel Core i5 8400 | Motherboard: MSI Z370 PC Pro | CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 PLUS | GPU: Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 AMP! Edition | RAM: G.Skill Aegis 16GB DDR4 2400 MHz | PSU: Corsair VS650 | SSD: SanDisk SSD Plus 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Monitor: Dell S2240L | OS: Windows 10 Pro x64 |

If it's an instant shutoff like you pulled the cord, then it's most likely your power supply. Temperatures should be in check with that CM212. Seems to be related to just that game.

Its an instant shutdown. But only in the game I mentioned. Other games work fine.

I think your power supply might be overheating. I had this in summer when playing Sleeping Dogs with my old PC. After ~15 minutes of playing it just turned off. The sad thing is that there is not that much you can do if this really is the case. You could try to get more air into the power supply... But that kinda is all you can do...

My Computer has :

AMD FX 8320 at 4.2 Ghz

Cooler Master Hyper 212X

ASRock Fatality Motherboard

MSI GTX 760 Overclocked

8 GB RAM

Corsair VS 650

1 TB HDD

I have a weird issue with my pc. When playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for half an hour the pc shuts off without warning. This happened 4 months ago and I deleted the game(Not because of this).After that I completed playing Sleeping Dogs, Metro series and other high end games for long hours and no issues. Today I tried playing Euro Truck again and it repeated the previous issue of shutdown without warning again. Can I ignore this and not play that junk game or is it something to care ? Temps are GPU 76 C and CPU 65 C max while Prime95 and very intensive games. I know CPU temp is high butnits not that high to cause all these issues and since I can plah high end games fine then I don't know what to do. Thanks.

Hello there,

Have you done any overclocking on the build (CPU, GPU, RAM)?
That PSU provides 600W at 12V and before OC, your build consumes around 410W. My guess is that your PSU is the cause of the problem. If you can, try a different PSU and see how the game is running. 
Do you see an error screen when your computer crashes (BSOD, other error)? Do you hear any beeping from your system after the shut down? Those beeps are error codes from the motherboard.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hello there,

That PSU provides 600W at 12V and before OC, your build consumes around 410W. My guess is that your PSU is the cause of the problem. If you can, try a different PSU and see how the game is running. 

Do you see an error screen when your computer crashes (BSOD, other error)? Do you hear any beeping from your system after the shut down? Those beeps are error codes from the motherboard.

Captain_WD.

I think your power supply might be overheating. I had this in summer when playing Sleeping Dogs with my old PC. After ~15 minutes of playing it just turned off. The sad thing is that there is not that much you can do if this really is the case. You could try to get more air into the power supply... But that kinda is all you can do...

I have my components overclocked and it runs fine for the past 6 months. But still after that I played the most demading games and only in this F*** games it crashes. It did this 3 months ago and I stopped playing ES2 and today I played it again and it started issues. There are no crssh reports as it is an unexpected sudden shutdown.

I have my components overclocked and it runs fine for the past 6 months. But still after that I played the most demading games and only in this F*** games it crashes. It did this 3 months ago and I stopped playing ES2 and today I played it again and it started issues. There are no crssh reports as it is an unexpected sudden shutdown.

Sooo... I guess there is one way to find out if the power supply is the problem here... If you run Prime95 (with maximum amount of ram used) and Furmark at the same time it should consume the maximum amount of power it can. If the PC shuts down again with both tests running you should probably check your power supply...

EDIT: Run it for ~15 minutes. That should be enough. Or longer if ES2 runs longer before it crashes.

I have a possible fix you could try, if it works it is very simple. Enable v-sync for that game and see if you still crash. Just a hunch, and i dont feel like going into explaining why I think it will help if this does not solve your problem.

Sooo... I guess there is one way to find out if the power supply is the problem here... If you run Prime95 (with maximum amount of ram used) and Furmark at the same time it should consume the maximum amount of power it can. If the PC shuts down again with both tests running you should probably check your power supply...

EDIT: Run it for ~15 minutes. That should be enough. Or longer if ES2 runs longer before it crashes.

Will do both and thanks for the help friends !!!

Will do both and thanks for the help friends !!!

No problem :) Keep us up to date if it helps

For clarification:

Games are normally less demanding for CPUs (more GPU-heavy) While the demand with "normal" games is lower, simulators are often more demanding. This increase plus your OC might have pushed your PSU to/over it's limit. Thats why we suggest testing it with CPU and GPU (i.e. the whole system) under full load for more then a couple of minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

How are the temps in other games?

For clarification:

Games are normally less demanding for CPUs (more GPU-heavy) While the demand with "normal" games is lower, simulators are often more demanding. This increase plus your OC might have pushed your PSU to/over it's limit. Thats why we suggest testing it with CPU and GPU (i.e. the whole system) under full load for more then a couple of minutes.

No problem :) Keep us up to date if it helps

Hello there,

Captain_WD.

First of all sorry for long quotes. I was away from home and today I am running P95 and MSI Kombustor for over 45 minutes now and now shutdowns and test still goes on fine. What next ? Today morning in the same game it froze and I had to reset and next time it completely shutdown. I am irritated. The problem is I can avoid playing it but I want to know why is it like this. The game sometimes goes below 30 fps due to horrible optimisation. Also I haven't tried with VSync on. Will try that soon. But I don't think that could be an issue. Kindle help me out.

First of all sorry for long quotes. I was away from home and today I am running P95 and MSI Kombustor for over 45 minutes now and now shutdowns and test still goes on fine. What next ? Today morning in the same game it froze and I had to reset and next time it completely shutdown. I am irritated. The problem is I can avoid playing it but I want to know why is it like this. The game sometimes goes below 30 fps due to horrible optimisation. Also I haven't tried with VSync on. Will try that soon. But I don't think that could be an issue. Kindle help me out.

Well I guess now we now that it is not the PSU. If the stability test ran for more then 45 minutes overheating is not likely the problem either. 

Does the shutdown happen when you play on very low settings? Also what are the temperatures while running Prime95 + Kombustor and the temps running ETS2?

Next thing would be checking your drivers. I guess they are up to date, but try to install the beta drivers.

I have to say I'm quite confused that the stability test did not forced it shut down when ETS2 does... Have you changed the settings for prime95 to use all of the available ram?

Well I guess now we now that it is not the PSU. If the stability test ran for more then 45 minutes overheating is not likely the problem either. 

Does the shutdown happen when you play on very low settings? Also what are the temperatures while running Prime95 + Kombustor and the temps running ETS2?

Next thing would be checking your drivers. I guess they are up to date, but try to install the beta drivers.

I have to say I'm quite confused that the stability test did not forced it shut down when ETS2 does... Have you changed the settings for prime95 to use all of the available ram?

When stress test whole system CPU at 69C and GPU at 81C. On ETS2 CPU at 59C and GPU at 75C. After turning on VSync it had never crashed. But I am still worried though. It sometimes freezes in menu. But after VSync turned on no crashes.

When stress test whole system CPU at 69C and GPU at 81C. On ETS2 CPU at 59C and GPU at 75C. After turning on VSync it had never crashed. But I am still worried though. It sometimes freezes in menu. But after VSync turned on no crashes.

The temperatures are ok. Well... If it does not crash while VSync is on you are lucky :D I really wonder why this would help but who cares... 

I guess I care... I hate it when things just work without me knowing why...

Well @Striker579 if you know why in the world that could do something against crashes please share your wisdom :D

Hope you have no more problems :)

The temperatures are ok. Well... If it does not crash while VSync is on you are lucky :D I really wonder why this would help but who cares... 

I guess I care... I hate it when things just work without me knowing why...

Well @Striker579 if you know why in the world that could do something against crashes please share your wisdom :D

Hope you have no more problems :)

Me too. Curious like anything.

How intense is your overclock, mate?

It could be that.

CPU at 4.2 Ghz(8320)

1120 Mhz Core and 1675 Mhz(760)