Someone please explain the difference...

Go to solution Solved by Lutkeveld,

Distortions varies with frequency and output power.

It remains fairly stable until a certain output power after which it kinda sky-rockets.

That's why when you turn an amp all the way up it will often distort.

If you measure it at, for example 10% THD+N, you measure it way after the distortion started increasing which gives you a higher value.

Hi, can someone please explain there difference between these three values and why each one is different?

post-4438-0-96255700-1415689219.jpg

I dont understand why the wattage varies so much when all tests are done on the same 8-ohm speaker...

what is the difference?

This is where the rest of the specs are in case you need any more info: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/846128-REG/Sony_STRDH130_STR_DH130_2_Channel_Stereo_Receiver.html

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It remains fairly stable until a certain output power after which it kinda sky-rockets.

If you measure it at, for example 10% THD+N, you measure it way after the distortion started increasing which gives you a higher value.

Ok, so basically it can do up to 135W but it would have more distortion than at 90W?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes, if we can believe the specs.

But I like to point out that you almost can't hear the difference between 90 and 135 watts.

What you CAN hear is the significantly increased distortion.

Err... isn't that just clipping?

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?