Co-Optional vs WAN Show on Dawngate cancellation

tigerclaws12894

Polaris point of view (skip to 1:25:15 or click here):

LTT Point of view (skip to 1:03:43 or click here):

So news of Dawngate (DG) shutting down has been disappointing a lot of people, TB and some Polaris cast included. LTT handled the news from a different perspective saying EA should not waste money on something that would not bring them profit or releasing something broken. Here's the thing, I'm sure neither Linus nor Luke follows DG  but I for one, as a player and a fan of the game, am very disappointed that EA pulled the plug. DG HAS done well to differentiate itself from other Dota-like games and TB praises the game for it a lot. As a fan of the game but also as an individual who is very aware of EA practices, I'm on TB side with this one. EA expected DG to have immediate success on the level of LoL or Dota 2 has in a short time and since they didn't get it, they pulled the plug. That is what we would call a spoiled brat who expected results while sitting in on his bum all day. EA being huge as it is and is infamous for its marketing practices has surprisingly done very little to spread the word around, to market this product like their other titles. As a result, only a handful of people know about the game. What's worse, only recently did DG have servers outside NA, that is huge! The game had potential to gain traction from it but nope. So as a conclusion, I have to disagree with the WAN show on EA not being bad anymore.

So what do you guys think if you try to look at this from both perspectives? Feel free to discuss.

Edit: formatting and added poll.

11/14/14 - 1:00 PST - Dawngate farewell stream (don't know whether VoDs will be available): http://www.twitch.tv/waystonegames

I just think that linus and luke didn't look into in great detail, probably because their main focus is not gaming news whereas the co-optional podcast is from what i have watched all games news, and they have more knowledge on the subject.

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

I just think that linus and luke didn't look into in great detail, probably because their main focus is not gaming news whereas the co-optional podcast is from what i have watched all games news, and they have more knowledge on the subject.

They only occasionally talk about video games, you know.

Case: Meatbag, humanoid - APU: Human Brain version 1.53 (stock clock) - Storage: 100TB SND (Squishy Neuron Drive) - PSU: a combined 500W of Mitochondrial cells - Optical Drives: 2 Oculi, with corrective lenses.

Well they didn't do very much marketing. I didn't even know there was a beta. I heard of it and was kinda interested but then never heard anything else about it till now.

Well they didn't do very much marketing. I didn't even know there was a beta. I heard of it and was kinda interested but then never heard anything else about it till now.

Exactly my main gripe with EA concerning this hub bub. I've seen an ad on DG ONCE during last year's PAX and that's it. Did they forget the fact that you actually have to work hard in order to gain something in return? Very frustrating seeing one of the biggest company in the industry giving zero cares to something that actually had potential.

I had absolutely no clue what Dawngate was until I watched the WAN show this morning but I have to agree with Linus and Luke at this point. I like TB, but too often he acts like an arrogant prick and this is one of those times. The one and only entity that is entitled to decide where a game goes is the developer / publisher, and while this decision is super sucky for the 8 people that played Dawngate the game did not live up to EA's expectations and they shut it down to not haemorrhage more money . The matter in this conversation however is that EA did it the RIGHT way. Servers are up for another 90 days to say goodbye and all money that's been put into it is refunded. This is a good guy EA move.

I'm sure that for those who don't follow MOBAs (or don't follow people who follow MOBAs), Dawngate's cancellation just sounds like the plug getting pulled on yet another me-too LoL clone. While I'm not a MOBA gamer myself, the perspective that I'm hearing from others is that Dawngate did some things fairly uniquely and wasn't simply a clone of another game. Even if it was kinda iterative, my opinion is that there is room for a third big game in any genre.

I do kinda think EA is handling this in an alright way, though. While I think a refund is absolutely the right move, I would not have been surprised to see it go the other way.

I had absolutely no clue what Dawngate was until I watched the WAN show this morning but I have to agree with Linus and Luke at this point. I like TB, but too often he acts like an arrogant prick and this is one of those times. The one and only entity that is entitled to decide where a game goes is the developer / publisher, and while this decision is super sucky for the 8 people that played Dawngate the game did not live up to EA's expectations and they shut it down to not haemorrhage more money . The matter in this conversation however is that EA did it the RIGHT way. Servers are up for another 90 days to say goodbye and all money that's been put into it is refunded. This is a good guy EA move.

Well here's the problem that you stated yourself. You had absolutely no clue what Dawngate is when it is supposed to be something fresh and big coming from a company like EA. Also note that my post was not TB vs. Linus, it's the Co-Optional crew. Jessie and Dodger liked the game and Dodger even said that it's the only Moba she could get into and not having issues that she was having with Dota and LoL.

Like I said in my first post, If you decide to not market the game when you are more than capable of doing, should you expect something in return at all? League spent millions trying to prove itself to be worthy and Valve shoved Dota 2 in your face pretty much every time there's a big tournament or update in your Steam client while DG gets a small banner every now and then in the Origin client. Are you a good guy for sitting on your butt, make peeps work on a project night and day and tell them to scrap it because you've not been going around town spreading the word?

Bump to add Waystone's farewell stream, showing how hard they worked on the game and that EA business decisions sucked. I'll take the warning points to show skeptics that this game had a heart.