I have a Creative sound blaster omni do i need a DAC ?

Hey guys, i have a Creative sound blaster omni together with the Logitech z906 5,1 speakers (connected with and optical cable). Do i need a DAC for better performance? and if i do do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Hey guys, i have a Creative sound blaster omni together with the Logitech z906 5,1 speakers (connected with and optical cable). Do i need a DAC for better performance? and if i do do you have any suggestions? Thank you in advance.

Need? No, unless the current sound card is faulty, like static noises, hiss, etc. Besides, with active speakers set like that, DAC gives minimal differences.

You connected it with the optic cable, meaning your Omni does exactly shit in that setup. You're using the DAC inside the Z906.

Or do you mean interconnected with the PC via optical? I'm not 100% familiar with that device.

EDIT: nvm, yeah it's optical out. You aren't using the Omni.

i am using a USB port for the Omni and then a optical cable to connect my Z906. Is that wrong? (sorry for my broken english). :(

It's not wrong, but the card just translates usb singnal into optical one. A 20 usd card can do that (methinks I saw one that can)

Omni can drive an actual analog 5.1 (iirc) but you're skipping that and just feeding the digital signal through it directly to your 5.1 setup and it translates it into analog (instead of omni) which your speakers can then play. Some mobos have integrated optical outputs, so the point is you just wasted your money pal :(

At least you gave a headphone amp in it.