Which CPU to choose?

From the following three processors, which is the best one to choose for a budget build?

All of them are Haswell i3 processors, but they differ only in the frequency if I'm not mistaking.

The 4130, 4150 and 4160.

I suppose it would be the 4160, beacuse it's the newest, but is it any better (or worse) than the rest?

Also, is the 4330 better with it's 1 MB more l3 cache?

(Please no "what is ur budget" and "amd is better" and "you should pick an i5" "i3 sucks" comments, I would only like to know about these ones)

I'd go with whichever you could get at a good price, they'll all do well for low to mid range gaming. I probably wouldn't throw a 980 in with it but I have the 4130 and am perfectly happy with it's performance in my HTPC.

Seriously what is your budget....

Try again.

I'd go with whichever you could get at a good price, they'll all do well for low to mid range gaming. I probably wouldn't throw a 980 in with it but I have the 4130 and am perfectly happy with it's performance in my HTPC.

GTX 750Ti alongside, modest "gaming". Old games / not resource-hog ones.

GTX 750Ti alongside, modest "gaming". Old games / not resource-hog ones.

oh yeah. go with whichever you can get cheapest, the only difference is a .1 and .2 ghz clock difference.

if I was going to put money into something in that range I'd sooner replace fans with quieter than get a 4160 over a 4130

No need to go "Try again" on him, he's the one trying to help you.

Let me ask the question differently:

What are you planning to do with the computer and what are the other components going to be?

No need to go "Try again" on him, he's the one trying to help you.

Let me ask the question differently:

What are you planning to do with the computer?

I didn't mean to be harsh, but I clearly stated I'm not keen on comments like so. 

Plans are playing games, but as said before not Watch Dogs, BF4 and other ultra setting mlg dlc games. 

oh yeah. go with whichever you can get cheapest, the only difference is a .1 and .2 ghz clock difference.

if I was going to put money into something in that range I'd sooner replace fans with quieter than get a 4160 over a 4130

Thank you very much :)

5960X is the best CPU. No budget, get that.

I personally don't see the point in i3s for gaming since the G3258. Get that, a cooler, and overclock it.

I haven't stated my budget, but it wasn't the point I was making in this post as well. Of course I could enjoy using that processor, but my wallet would cry.

Thank you very much :)

I actually just helped a very close friend of mine build a computer. it was a Intel Pentium K 3258 and it didn't hold back the 760 in the system at all. most of the most recent intel chips can handle a mid range card with no trouble at all.

I haven't stated my budget, but it wasn't the point I was making in this post as well. Of course I could enjoy using that processor, but my wallet would cry.

You were rude so I gave you a stupid answer. You must be working to a budget because you've chosen a price bracket. ThyFeared asked because it's important to gauge what the "best" is as far as you're concerned, along with the purpose you're putting it to. Since you say old games, I'd guess that they probably aren't multithreaded. I'd suggest that you won't get any benefit from hyperthreading at all. If you are doing other things that do benefit from four threads more than they'd benefit from two faster cores then the i3 might have a benefit to you over the Pentium I suggested.

These questions are important because without it we are giving you answers based on our assumptions about you, when you could just tell us and get genuinely good advice.

No, but if a person does ask anyway, it's because he doesn't want you to waste money. Just saying ;)

Anyway, here's a comparison list by Intel themselves:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/80811,77488,77486,77480

You can see that the 4160 is a tiny bit faster, but the difference is negligible. If I were you, I'd just get the cheapest. What components will you be using together with this CPU?

5960X is the best CI personally don't see the point in i3s for gaming since the G3258. Get that, a cooler, and overclock it.

I feel like this is all I talk about anymore when I go around the forums. IMO, The i3 should be a processor reserved for HTPC's for its low power consumption, but modest gaming goes to the g3258 hands down!

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 73.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z97-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card

Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply

You were rude so I gave you a stupid answer. You must be working to a budget because you've chosen a price bracket. ThyFeared asked because it's important to gauge what the "best" is as far as you're concerned, along with the purpose you're putting it to. Since you say old games, I'd guess that they probably aren't multithreaded. I'd suggest that you won't get any benefit from hyperthreading at all. If you are doing other things that do benefit from four threads more than they'd benefit from two faster cores then the i3 might have a benefit to you over the Pentium I suggested.

These questions are important because without it we are giving you answers based on our assumptions about you, when you could just tell us and get genuinely good advice.

I apologise, I didn't meant to be rude, but I've been to countless threads and forums and I've already decided on the rest of the components but the CPU. I was just wondering what was the best from these three.

No, but if a person does ask anyway, it's because he doesn't want you to waste money. Just saying ;)

Anyway, here's a comparison list by Intel themselves:

http://ark.intel.com/compare/80811,77488,77486,77480

You can see that the 4160 is a tiny bit faster, but the difference is negligible. If I were you, I'd just get the cheapest. What components will you be using together with this CPU?

Motherboard: Asus B85-Plus

Graphics card: Asus GTX 750Ti

Memory: Corsair Vengeance 4GB

PSU: Corsair VS Series VS550

Sorry, not the VS Series before I get a shitstorm, I've replaced it with an EVGA 500B.

Hmmm yeah, I guess the 4130 would be fine then. Don't really need aftermarket cooling either, or at least for the time being. In the Netherlands, the difference is €2 though, so if the difference is <$5 you might as well get the quicker one.

I apologise, I didn't meant to be rude, but I've been to countless threads and forums and I've already decided on the rest of the components but the CPU. I was just wondering what was the best from these three.

The one with the biggest number is best, but you worked that out yourself. So you're asking "which is most worth it?" And if that is what you're asking, then your budget and your use-case scenario are vital.

Hmmm yeah, I guess the 4130 would be fine then. Don't really need aftermarket cooling either, or at least for the time being. In the Netherlands, the difference is €2 though, so if the difference is <$5 you might as well get the quicker one.

Thank you very much.

The one with the biggest number is best, but you worked that out yourself. So you're asking "which is most worth it?" And if that is what you're asking, then your budget and your use-case scenario are vital.

Okay, please go on and assemle me a PC for 500 (at most 550) dollars, that has an Intel processor and an Asus motherboard. I don't requre a HDD, I'll keep the current one. No need for OS and peripherials either. Thank you very much.

Okay, please go on and assemle me a PC for 500 (at most 550) dollars, that has an Intel processor and an Asus motherboard. I don't requre a HDD, I'll keep the current one. No need for OS and peripherials either. Thank you very much.

Like this?

Motherboard: Asus H81M-D PLUS Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($44.49 @ Newegg) 
Memory: VisionTek 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($63.00 @ Newegg) 
Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card  ($279.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  ($15.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $548.42

You probably don't need the R9 290, but it's in budget...

Like this?

Thank you very much for your effort, and could you explain to me one more thing please?

I am not into overclocking, never done it before, don't plan to do so. Is the G3258 even worth it WITHOUT overclocking?

Like this?

Is there any benefit of choosing a mATX board than an ATX? My father is not really a fan of the small form factor mATX board, he said he'd like to have an ATX sized one.

Thank you very much for your effort, and could you explain to me one more thing please?

I am not into overclocking, never done it before, don't plan to do so. Is the G3258 even worth it WITHOUT overclocking?

Without overclocking, no. But the performance you can get for under $70 with this CPU is immense, I seriously recommend watching a tutorial on YouTube, it's not difficult by any means.

290 on a 430 watt PSU that probably only has one PCIe 6+2 pin connector is pushing it quite a lot.

Video Card: MSI Radeon R9 290 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card  ($269.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX Power Supply  ($19.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $542.42

better?

Tbh the 290 is a bit ridiculous. I put it in there because it's in budget and to kind of make the point that if your usecase is playing old games that aren't that intensive, you can probably do this for $350 with an R7 260X or an R9 270.

Without overclocking, no. But the performance you can get for under $70 with this CPU is immense, I seriously recommend watching a tutorial on YouTube, it's not difficult by any means.

Well you see that is exactly the reason I'm thinking about the i3 series, beacuse I don't really want to risk on overclocking, and without that the Pentium isn't really worth it.