MSI Raid 0 Problems

Warlock5822

So yeah...

I started building my first PC a few days ago and started the setup with installing Windows on the SSD and downloading a couple steam games, my plan was to set up a raid 0 array with 2 WD caviar drives.

the problem is that after I set up the raid in the bios I tried to boot the computer then it just bluescreens at the Windows start-up, switching back to default SATA mode fixes it.

So does this mean in order to set up a raid 0 I have to do a clean install of Windows? Or is there something bigger I'm missing?

Forgot, I'm using msi gaming 7 motherboard :)

I recall having a similar problem when I first started to experiment with RAID (quite a while ago, so it's all rather vague).

IIRC I solved it by re-installing Windows while the BIOS had RAID enabled.

There's no need to have the RAID disks themselves configured already or even plugged in to the system, just make sure the controller in the BIOS is in RAID mode.

switching back to default SATA mode fixes it.

Do you mean switching back to AHCI or IDE mode? If IDE, then that's the source of the problem. With AHCI it should actually work (if you're not booting from RAID. On my yet current (=old) rig, my BIOS is set to AHCI but I'm still running a RAID5 (again: not as boot drive) perfectly fine. If I wanted to boot from the RAID, I'd have to switch to RAID mode in BIOS.

[Main rig "ToXxXiC":]
CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K | MB: ASUS Maximus VII Formula | RAM: G.Skill TridentX 32GB 2400MHz (DDR-3) | GPU: EVGA GTX980 Hydro Copper | Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD + Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD (+NAS) | Sound: OnBoard | PSU: XFX Black Edition Pro 1050W 80+ Gold | Case: Cooler Master Cosmos II | Cooling: Full Custom Watercooling Loop (CPU+GPU+MB) | OS: Windows 7 Professional (64-Bit)

Do you mean switching back to AHCI or IDE mode? If IDE, then that's the source of the problem. With AHCI it should actually work (if you're not booting from RAID. On my yet current (=old) rig, my BIOS is set to AHCI but I'm still running a RAID5 (again: not as boot drive) perfectly fine. If I wanted to boot from the RAID, I'd have to switch to RAID mode in BIOS.

Sorry I meant to say the problem occured when I switched boot modes from AHCI over to Raid, but when I switch back from Raid to AHCI the computer runs completely fine. Apart from creating a "virtual stripped/raid" drive in windows, I didn't know if there was another solution other than reinstalling windows with raid mode enabled right at the start.

How to remove the AHCI Windows BSOD so you can disable AHCI in BIOS

@Warlock5822

Enable AHCI in Bios & Boot in Windows, so we can remove it :)

I found a way that works for me - admittedly this is on a Win7 64 bit system, but since the information might be applicable, I decided to post.

REGEDIT
There are actually TWO entries in question:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\msahci
  • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\pciide

When using IDE: <------------THIS IS THE ONE YOU WANT

• msahcii's START is set to "3"
  • pciide's START is set to "0"

When using ACHI:

• msahci's START is set to "0"
  • pciide's START is set to "3"

Apparently when you set the msahci START value to "0", the pciide START value gets automagically modified too.

What I did in my case was to set both values to the corresponding value for the interface I want to use - and I was golden.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

Thanks guys, in the end I decided that since I hadn't done much with the computer I woulkd just reinstall windows with the motherboard set up as raid from the start, had to install the SATA driver for the motherboard afterwards but since then everythings been running fine :P Thanks for the help