Ethernet over power help needed.

effectiveduck

Can you just add any kit to an already existing kit?

Looking to add this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25759 to an already existing kit.

I'm pretty sure they're the same but wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any problems before buying, just in case.

CPU: i7-3770k  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB COOLER: Noctua NH-U12S GPU: Gainward GTX570 STORAGE: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Corsair 650D MONITOR: Asus PB278Q + BenQ G2420HD KEYBOARD: Ducky DK9008 Shine MOUSE: Steelseries Sensei SOUND: Beyerdynamic DT880 + Audioengine D1 OS: Windows 7

Can you just add any kit to an already existing kit?

Looking to add this http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=25759 to an already existing kit.

I'm pretty sure they're the same but wanted to make sure there wasn't going to be any problems before buying, just in case.

I know you can add onto an existing network, but I'm not sure if you can mix brands.

Remember to be a good citizen and choose a 'best answer' when your problem has been resolved!

(that way people know when a problem's been resolved)

You generally cannot mix brands, and in many cases, you cannot mix different classes of adapter.

PS, unlike a router, a network made up of many powerline adapters, is a collision domain, so the more adapters you add, the slower every adapter gets. (almost as bad as the ancient Ethernet hubs).

It's the same brand but I'm not sure if it's the same model, would that be fine?

CPU: i7-3770k  Motherboard: MSI Z77A-GD65 RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB COOLER: Noctua NH-U12S GPU: Gainward GTX570 STORAGE: 128GB OCZ Vertex 4 + Seagate Barracuda 2TB PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 850W Case: Corsair 650D MONITOR: Asus PB278Q + BenQ G2420HD KEYBOARD: Ducky DK9008 Shine MOUSE: Steelseries Sensei SOUND: Beyerdynamic DT880 + Audioengine D1 OS: Windows 7

Usually if they are the same speed rating, then they will work within the same brand, but if you are unsure, it is best to contact the companies sales department to confirm the compatibility.

Sometimes 2 of the same speed may not talk to each other, e.g., netgear has 2 different models of 200mbit powerline adapters and they will not talk to each other because they changes the way the newer 200mbit model works (mainly to improve performance at the cost of compatibility).

The best way to be sure is to contact the company, or if possible, search for both models to see if there are any forum posts or anything with someone claiming compatibility with the 2 models.