Is the gtx 980 worth it?

I have just sold my r9 290x, because it was too hot and loud (and the release of the 900 series). Now I am not totally sure which card to buy.

I thought that sli gtx970 would be the best solution, but I have a Amd processor and because my old Gpu also was from Amd it only supports crossfire and not sli. So I could either buy one gtx 970 now and exchange my motherboard (and my CPU*) later on. Or should I just get the 980?

Is it really worth the 550 Euro? I am not planning to play in 4k, but maybe in 1440p (or maybe 1600p).

Or would a single gtx 970 be more than enough?

(*I was anyways planning on buying a new CPU in around 3/4 year.)

My other specs:

Amd fx 8350 (overclocked to around 4,4ghz

Noctua nh-d14

Bitfenix Shinobi

Asus m5a97 r2.0

16gb ram

Samsung 250gb ssd

2000gb hdd

Be quiet 600w 80 plus silver

4 jetflo case fans

I know I have already asked this, but I would like to hear some more opinions. Thank you everybody for answering.

If you have the money and are willing to pay an extra 200 for a card that isn't 1.5x better than the 970 then yes, but if you want bang for your buck go with a 970

Please use http://pcpartpicker.com/ for everybodones sake!

and quote me if you want me to see a reply please :)

pewpewpewphysicslazers!!!

I'd go for the 970 and add a 2nd one for sli in the future. (That is, once you switch to intel or upgrade your board to one that supports SLI.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W