Out of ideas getting my r9 290 to work

CmdrAdrian
Go to solution Solved by SuperPug,

Why would you possibly think its a good idea to put a r9 290 in that pc? Btw your problem is the adaptor 100%... you need to figure out another way to connect your monitor i'd suggest getting a dvi to vga adaptor.

System:

Main board:biostar mcp6p m2+

Cpu: amd athlon II x2 245

PowerSupply: corsair cx750m

gpu: r9 290 msi gaming edition

so i managed to save up some cash and there was a deal on the r9 290 so i grabbed it,

im replacing a nvidia 220 with it, yep ....a 220. i deleted the nvidia drivers, well i think i got all of them.

initially it wasnot being detectd so i fiddeled arround turned on the integrated gpu booted up using the intigrated gpu and managed to install the drivers for the r9, device manager shows it as an Amd radeon r9 200 series, tried booting using the gpu no dice so i used the intigrated gpu again i noticed the r9 290 was putting out substancial heat and realised FAH decided that its working and decided to fold using it so im guessing the gpu is not dead.

now here is where it gets kind of iffy.... my monitor only has a vga connector so i decided to get a hdmi to vga adaptor, an active one, when i plug the adaptor into the hdmi out on the gpu the monitor says not connected, i tried using the adaptor with the hdmi out on my laptop and it worked.

heres a link to the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter/dp/B00879DM56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415259209&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+matters+hdmi+to+vga

any ideas?

atleast it folds =/

Why would you possibly think its a good idea to put a r9 290 in that pc? Btw your problem is the adaptor 100%... you need to figure out another way to connect your monitor i'd suggest getting a dvi to vga adaptor.

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

you are never getting the digital signal from the r9 290 to work on vga im afraid

System:

Main board:biostar mcp6p m2+

Cpu: amd athlon II x2 245

PowerSupply: corsair cx750m

gpu: r9 290 msi gaming edition

so i managed to save up some cash and there was a deal on the r9 290 so i grabbed it,

im replacing a nvidia 220 with it, yep ....a 220. i deleted the nvidia drivers, well i think i got all of them.

initially it wasnot being detectd so i fiddeled arround turned on the integrated gpu booted up using the intigrated gpu and managed to install the drivers for the r9, device manager shows it as an Amd radeon r9 200 series, tried booting using the gpu no dice so i used the intigrated gpu again i noticed the r9 290 was putting out substancial heat and realised FAH decided that its working and decided to fold using it so im guessing the gpu is not dead.

now here is where it gets kind of iffy.... my monitor only has a vga connector so i decided to get a hdmi to vga adaptor, an active one, when i plug the adaptor into the hdmi out on the gpu the monitor says not connected, i tried using the adaptor with the hdmi out on my laptop and it worked.

heres a link to the adaptor:

http://www.amazon.com/Cable-Matters-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter/dp/B00879DM56/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1415259209&sr=8-1&keywords=cable+matters+hdmi+to+vga

any ideas?

atleast it folds =/

Do you have something to try the hdmi port on? Not with an adapter but an actual hdmi connection, also that cpu and motherboard with a r9 290 isnt the best combo by anymeans. And you intend to use an r9 290 on a vga cable?

We are one, we are many, we are, the Enthusiasts.

Cpu: AMD Fx-8350 Motherboard: MSI 970A G46 RAM: 18 GBs GPU: R9 290 w/ Kraken G10

ok thanks guys i thought that was the problem ,also no its not a good idea to put a r9 290 in this but im in the process of upgrading, im going to see if i can borrow a monitor to test it out. will update when i get it sorted.

Yeah next thing to upgrade is that 245 dual core + mobo.

It bottle necked my single 6850 already, so yeah.

ok thanks guys i thought that was the problem ,also no its not a good idea to put a r9 290 in this but im in the process of upgrading, im going to see if i can borrow a monitor to test it out. will update when i get it sorted.

TV's generally have HDMI ports

TV's generally have HDMI ports

this is probarbly going to sound strange but we only have old crt's cus they just wont die.....

Yeah next thing to upgrade is that 245 dual core + mobo.

It bottle necked my single 6850 already, so yeah.

yea im going to a am3+ board next upgrade , then getting a 8350 . kinda broke so improvements are going to happen slowly but surely

Pcie 1.0 may be your problem, or make sure the monitor is plug in the gpu and not the motherboard.

(Some recent cards won't work with pcie 1.0, but it should work)

It's an active adapter though so I'm not convinced that's the problem. HDMI doesn't carry an analog signal, so it has to be active. No passthrough here.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

this is probarbly going to sound strange but we only have old crt's cus they just wont die.....

yea im going to a am3+ board next upgrade , then getting a 8350 . kinda broke so improvements are going to happen slowly but surely

Don't cheap out on a AM3+ board. The fx 8350 runs like shit with 4+1 power phase design or no officiall support.

Pcie 1.0 may be your problem, or make sure the monitor is plug in the gpu and not the motherboard.

(Some recent cards won't work with pcie 1.0, but it should work)

yes im using the intigrated gpu right now , i get no display form the discrete gpu

It's an active adapter though so I'm not convinced that's the problem. HDMI doesn't carry an analog signal, so it has to be active. No passthrough here.

i tested the adaptor with my laptop and it works there, tried hooking up a dvi monitor at the local computer store and it didnot display anything they guy there said he thinks its either dead or not working with my motherboard, didnt have another system to swap it into for testing... im thinking of trying that tomorow,hopw my friend lets me test my gpu in his rig.

Don't cheap out on a AM3+ board. The fx 8350 runs like shit with 4+1 power phase design or no officiall support.

im getting a ASUS M5A99FX PRO R2.0 AM3+ AMD 990FX  i think it has a 6 +2 power phase

well its begining to look like i have a dedicated folding card .....

update guys it seems the problem was the motherboard as i tested the card in a friends system AND it performed remarkably. so it seems i have to let it sit on my shelf until i get enough cash to get a new motherboard. thanks for all the suggestions guys.