Elite: Dangerous, thinking about buying

Zohan2000

so seen a few videos on Elite:Dangerous and thinking of buying into the BETA but was wondering if it was really worth it with the game being in beta and having issues with performance/bugs/etc so if anyone on here is playing it can you give me some of your thoughts please?

It's not just bugs and glitches that you need to be prepared for, it'll also be a lack of content.

You should check the page for the game and see what you can actually do.  You may find it pretty boring after a few hours.

Same with Star Citizen, it looks impressive, but it's extremely limited in what you can actually do then just staring at the impressive visuals.

Bugs aren't that much of a problem at the moment. 

It's a pretty fun experience, most major features are in. 

Braben compares it to building a house, first they did build the foundation, all the walls are up and they are in the process of decorating. 

They are reaching the end of beta (probably around the end of this month).

So you have to realize that you won't have that much beta time left and all the progress you make will be reset by the end. 

If you have no problem with that or are just to eager to wait, go for it. :)

But otherwise I would pre-order at this point in time.

I have been going squirrelly since seeing some gameplay for this, my wife has had to basically tie me down to stop me from going to the store to get a flight stick and possibly a throttle too.

Is it warranted?  What's actually in the game at the moment?

I see you can do courier runs to different places, and there's some kind of combat in the game, but beyond that, what's all there?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

i love this game. but if you dont own it i would wait until the full release because beta is about to end anyway and you'll save $25.

as for what you can do currently (in beta) theres a few major sets of things. trading, pirating, bounty hunting, mining, exploring. theres a bunch of ships and a BUNCH of upgrades to the ships, but many more will be added before release. the playable world is massive. massively massive. 400 BILLION stars massive (or it will be at release) each with planets, some with moons, some with stations. there are factions you can fight for or against, the combat is quite fun IMO, and the game has the ability to play solo where you wont run into other human players (advantageous for both if you dont want to be bothered, or if there are network issues) the scale and graphics are mind blowing. right now after a few weeks it may seem kinda tedious doing the same trade routes or mining the same rocks, but that will be getting better and better for the final release which will include dynamic universe elements (if lots of people start mining, a station might move in. random wars breaking out, giant conflict zones, etc etc.) and as more features get added.

joystick not required but oooooh does it make things fun. also fully oculus compatible fyi.

Mac Pro 2013, 3.5GHz 6-core xeon E5, 32GB 1866 ddr3 ECC, 2x AMD Firepro d700 6GB, 512GB PCIe SSD, 3x Dell u2412m 24", Audio-technica ad-700 with Astro mixamp, Logitech g19s, Steelseries Sensei Wireless, Saitek x-55.

Its a great game they give you everything you need to make ure own story, you need an imagination for this game if u need a story mode wait for star citizen.

Really interested in this. I didn't realize that there were so many games similar to Start Cit. And Elite coming out next year.

i5 3570K (4.5Ghz OC)|4x4GB 1600Mhz Corsair Vengeance pro|Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Extreme Edition|Asus p8Z77M-pro|Raidmax 500 80+Br| 128GB Kingston Now SSD|2x1TB Western Digital Blue| Artic White Define R4|Corsair H60 cooler|CM Storm Quickfire MX BLUE| White Corsair M65