PSU HELP! With r9 280x

Mdude

Hi guys I recently ordered a sapphire r9 280x GPU and I'm now starting to worry about my psu I have a 500w (30A 12v) psu can't remember the brand and wondering wether that will be enough to power my r9 289x I only use 150-200W on max load right now and I'm not planning to OC at the moment and I heard that 750w isn't necessarily needed people run that card with other 500w psu's so do you guys think I will have any issues and what happens if a psu isn't strong enough to power the machine(only bought the power supply last year)

Any response is appreciated many thanks

system:

amd fx4100

12gb ram

1ssd + 1HD

3x120mm fans

Can you look at the brand of the power supply?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Godlygamer23

Can you look at the brand of the power supply?

I'm not able to look at it right now but I know it wasn't a know make like corsair it cost me around £40 last year if that helps

So it's most likely a door stop PSU then. Normally, 500W would be enough, with a decent PSU, but cheap ones have certain risks associated with them if you even go near the max power. (from catching on fire to damaging your components)

If you can, try finding which Maker and Model of PSU it is, this is really important.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

TetraSkytimestamp

So it's most likely a door stop PSU then. Normally, 500W would be enough, with a decent PSU, but cheap ones have certain risks associated with them if you even go near the max power. (from catching on fire to damaging your components)

If you can, try finding which Maker and Model of PSU it is, this is really important.

If I remember right it's something like Alpine wasn't an extremely cheap one when I bought it had all the anti surge and all does features (all so it advertised) and what would be the risk of trying it could I put in the card and try it play some games to see how it goes and what could happen if it's no enough will it just power down?

Many thanks

TetraSkytimestamp

If I remember right it's something like Alpine wasn't an extremely cheap one when I bought it had all the anti surge and all does features (all so it advertised) and what would be the risk of trying it could I put in the card and try it play some games to see how it goes and what could happen if it's no enough will it just power down?

Many thanks

The thing about no-name power supplies is that if it goes over the wattage and its advertised protection doesn't work, the power supply will burn itself out and I believe kill your components along with it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

it's iffy, i had a 500w powering a i5 2500k and a radeon HD 6950, but when i got a 8350 the power supply gave out.

Build: Sister's new build |CPU i5 2500k|MOBO MSI h61m-p23 b3|PSU Rosewill 850w  |RAM 4GB 1333|GPU Radeon HD 6950 2GB OCedition|HDD 500GB 7200|HDD 500GB 7200|CASE Rosewill R5|Status online

Build: Digital Vengeance|CPU i7 4790k 4.8GHz 1.33V|MOBO MSI z97-Gaming 7|PSU Seasonic Xseries 850w|RAM 16GB G.skill sniper 2133|GPU Dual R9 290s|SSD 256GB Neutron|SSD 240GB|HDD 2TB 7200|CASE Fractal Design Define R5|Status online