What if AMD goes bankrupt?

Snickerzz

So what would happen? Would intel be the one and only or would someone like IBM or samsung step ip and start making enthusiast cpus?

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

So what would happen? Would intel be the one and only or would someone like IBM or samsung step ip and start making enthusiast cpus?

They would be bought. 

No one would step into the desktop market and the government would intervene if for some reason they weren't bought. Arm makes processors so does Nvidia, Samsung, and many others. I would be quite horrible but if no on bought AMD and continued in the desktop market I think Intel would be your only option.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

You would need the x86 licence, only VIA, AMD and Intel are the only one left in the x86 business as far as i know. I think ibm has a licence but samsung for sure not.

it would be disastrous for the x86 desktop market.

Intel could stop innovating and bring out a sub-par product and consumers would have no competing product, thus having no choice but to buy said product.

You would need the x86 licence, only VIA, AMD and Intel are the only one left in the x86 business as far as i know. I think ibm has a licence but samsung for sure not.

Doesn't AMD own the x86-64 patent and intel pays them per processor?

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Doesn't AMD own the x86-64 patent and intel pays them per processor?

Yes, they do.

Someone (other than Intel, otherwise it is time to officially panic) will have to buy them out. Samsung or IBM most likely.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Yes, they do.

no they don't intel liked what amd did and did the same, but little bit different..

Someone (other than Intel, otherwise it is time to officially panic) will have to buy them out. Samsung or IBM most likely.

the lisence agreement with intel prevents anybody else to use amds x86 lisence if they go bankrupt. somebody will buy the ATI part, but without the lisence amd is useless.

I would not worry about it, they doing not too badly at the moment.

FX8120 @ 5.0GHz | Sabertooth 990FX | Patriot Viper Xtreme 8GB @ 2133MHz | Powercolor HD7950 @ 1300/1800 | Bitfenix Shinobi XL Modded | Corsair AX850 | Mushkin 120GB & Seagate 2TB | Bitfenix Recon | 5X SP120 PE | 6X Yate Loon 120mm HS

Koolance 200 Res | 2X Koolance 360 Rads | Danger Den CPX Pro | EK 7950 Block | Koolance CPU Block | Bitspower & XSPC Fittings

Green Machine

They would get bought anyway, they won't go bankrupt they the ones putting the cpu's in the xbox one and ps4.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Yes, they do.

That's what I thought

no they don't intel liked what amd did and did the same, but little bit different..

I thought they did because they own the patent of x86 processors able to use 64 bit programs without being just 64 bit processors that can't use 32 bit programs.

They would get bought anyway, they won't go bankrupt they the ones putting the cpu's in the xbox one and ps4.

that means nothing...you don't know how much profit they make with each chip. it could only be 1$ for all we know. or even less.

that means nothing...you don't know how much profit they make with each chip. it could only be 1$ for all we know. or even less.

Since it is the CPU and GPU I would assume around 5-8 dollars per console sold with a guarantee of 50 million sold in it's life time for amd to jump on board.

Both the new console market and a flurishing APU market, well dont see it happening anytime soon!

Although I think they have shifted their aim abit, more into the APU/Opteron market and less on the Desktop/Discrete GPU market, so in my mind Nvidia/intel are already alone atm which is sad, because competion is good. So my hopes are that AMD will through out a competeing GPU and a competeing CPU very soon so that we can see these two compenies go toe to toe again like in the old days :D

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

Both the new console market and a flurishing APU market, well dont see it happening anytime soon!

Although I think they have shifted their aim abit, more into the APU/Opteron market and less on the Desktop/Discrete GPU market, so in my mind Nvidia/intel are already alone atm which is sad, because competion is good. So my hopes are that AMD will through out a competeing GPU and a competeing CPU very soon so that we can see these two compenies go toe to toe again like in the old days :D

E3 man E3!!!

If they can do what they did last year but now with better drivers it's gonna make some people switch.

I have to say though I like PhysX and what it adds go the game Warframe, Planetside 2, Hawken. If Nvidia made those on AMD I would have gotten 2 7970m's instead. 

Even if they break even they still won't go bankrupt as they aren't losing money.

Even if they break even they still won't go bankrupt as they aren't losing money.

aren't losing money? you mean like the 6,4billion dollar they lost the last 6 years. I don't trust the console deal, AMD is desperate. They would take the console deals even if it would mean they lose money the first 1-2 years.

it will be more than $1 per chip, and even if it is the shear amount of consoles sold will bring them lots of money.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

Still you don't make money to pay for the next project and unless the next company is nice and fronts you the money than yes you do technically lose money

aren't losing money? you mean like the 6,4billion dollar they lost the last 6 years. I don't trust the console deal, AMD is desperate. They would take the console deals even if it would mean they lose money the first 1-2 years.

Desperate? no. In the best of times? no. They are surviving and will because they have a lot of sponsors that "need" them and will help them. Console deals yes they will lose money the first year unless both sell i'd assume 30 million each in that time frame. The amount of r&d that went into them is enormous. But they will make their money back. They spend millions a year just on deciding if they should do something. They know what they are doing getting into the console world.

They would be bought. 

No one would step into the desktop market and the government would intervene if for some reason they weren't bought. Arm makes processors so does Nvidia, Samsung, and many others. I would be quite horrible but if no on bought AMD and continued in the desktop market I think Intel would be your only option.

This. Most likely.

And hypothetically if AMD just vanished.

Have Fun with Haswell, it's the best performing chip you will see in the next 500yrs. Intel is already not giving a shit about pumping performance, if AMD is gone and does not pose any thread what so ever, they basically will focus on laptop chips and you may enjoy Haswell with yoiur great grand kids ^^

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

If they went bankrupt I would be sad :( also not much competition for Intel so bad.....

PROFILEYEAH

What do people even put in these things?