SSD Upgrade Questions

Spook_
Go to solution Solved by Enderman,

Why do you need raid? A single SSD is fast enough. Raid will just make your OS have more issues and you have more headaches.

Raid is honestly not worth the trouble unless you are going all-out with 1TB 850 Pros or intel 730s.

You should just buy a new 840 Evo which will give you better performance anyway and good capacities for the price.

I have a 256GB OCZ vector SSD that I'm looking to either raid or replace. I was going to head to microcenter and pick up another for a raid, but after looking at the add further I saw that it was the Vector 150 and not my Vector. (They look extremely similar)

So I know its not recommended but could I raid a Vector 150 and Vector in raid 0?

If not it seems that I will have to pick up a new SSD or SSD's. The 840 Evo seems very good in price to performance ratio, are there any better choices? Also would I be better off raiding two 256 GB SSD's or just pick up a larger single SSD?

Any Input is appreciated and thanks in advance! 

Why do you need raid? A single SSD is fast enough. Raid will just make your OS have more issues and you have more headaches.

Raid is honestly not worth the trouble unless you are going all-out with 1TB 850 Pros or intel 730s.

You should just buy a new 840 Evo which will give you better performance anyway and good capacities for the price.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The only reason I wanted raid was to expand the useful lifespan of my ageing vector as I both needed more space and from what I had understood a single vector wasn't fast enough on its own to saturate a sata 6 GB/s connection.

The only reason I wanted raid was to expand the useful lifespan of my ageing vector as I both needed more space and from what I had understood a single vector wasn't fast enough on its own to saturate a sata 6 GB/s connection.

The fact that its old and close to the end of its life span is the reason you should not use it for raid unless you enjoy loosing all your data and having to reinstall everything.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

The fact that its old and close to the end of its life span is the reason you should not use it for raid unless you enjoy loosing all your data and having to reinstall everything.

So a single larger SSD? If that is the case are the 840 Evo's best when it comes to price to performance?

Do this^ or buy a Crucial MX100

Edit: Here is a link of a Crucial MX100 512GB, it's ~$210

I ran 2x 120GB Vertex 3's in a RAID0 and I noticed no difference in performance between a single 120GB SSD and the striped array.

I'm with the other guy. Just buy a bigger single drive.

The only way you'd EVER see a real-world performance boost by RAID0'ing ssd's if if you were doing file copies from one RAID0-SSD array to another. No "real world" boost, though.

So a single larger SSD? If that is the case are the 840 Evo's best when it comes to price to performance?

YES

Yes, single larger SSD is what you want. The 840 evo is about the best performance you can get at the price point.

Spoiler

Well thank you all for your help. I'm probably going to get an 840 evo but we will see. In any case my questions were answered.