Lan port off (no internet) when hdd is plugged

han_han08

Hi guys,

I know this sounds ridiculous, but as the title says, I have no internet when my almost filled 1tb hdd is plugged. I hope you can help me diagnose this one.

bought only last august

700watt generic psu (about to change this one)

gigabyte Z97m-d3h (has 24+8 slots, but my psu only has 24+4 pins, lol)

i3-4150 (yep, still no K-series processor)

2x2gb ddr3 1600mhz Gskill

320gb bootdrive

1000gb hdd

gainward 2gb gt 630

I still had internet connection when I added the 1tb of storage. I copied some files from a friend and only about 30gb of space remains (now in red color).

still had internet connection for some time, and it just up and went. I am used to our connection coming and going so I let it slide for a day, and still no internet. my mom and dad is using the same over wifi so no problem with my subscription (probably my hardware). 2-3 weeks have passed and still no connection. (yeah, busy guy) was about to buy a new cable but still low on cash.

i was assembling my dad's desktop and I removed that 1tb of storage and voila, my lan port was finally blinking as it used to. tried plugging it back and it still has connection, but none again after a reboot.

sorry for the lengthy read, I hope you can help me with this. I wish to use all my parts with my internet working. tried searching a similar or existing thread to no avail, if you can point me at a similar one, I can try that as well.

Thanks! =)

have you tried turning it off and on again ?

Current Build : 

CASE: Fractal Design R4 w/Window CPU: Intel 4930K,  RAM: 16GB Ripjaws Z 2133Mhz  Cooling: H100i  MotherBoard: Asus P9x79 Pro , PSU: CS750M   Storage: 2x Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb , 1Tb Seagate Barracuda, 500GB WD Black,  Graphics: Gigabyte GTX 780 Windforce 3GB,  Monitors: AOC G2460PG ( G sync monitor), Edge10 24" 1080p , 24" 1680*1020p monitor ( LCD)  Microphone: Blue Yeti  Keyboard: Cougar 700k  Phone: Samsung Note 3  Headphones: Sennheiser HD598

Laptop:

CPU: 
4710MQ  Ram: 8GB 1600MHz Storage:120Gb 840 Evo + 1Tb 5400Rpm HDD  Graphics: GTX 850M 2GB   Screen: 1080p IPS  

my modem? me and my dad have tried. even switched the ends of the cable (not sure if that really matters)

countless reboot as well, just to be sure.lol

my modem? me and my dad have tried. even switched the ends of the cable (not sure if that really matters)

countless reboot as well, just to be sure.lol

I'm not exactly sure how the motherboard circuitry is laid out, but your motherboard is not getting enough voltage from only using a 4pin. I spliced the +4 into a molex and +20pin using the 3.3, 5, 12v pin outs on some shitty PSU in a desperate need for testing purposes. Obviously not recommend. If you're using a generic power supply that doesn't even have a 4+4pin CPU connector, that's a sign it's time to upgrade that unreliable power supply.

What you're trying to do is like running a new motherboard with only using the +20pin power connector, you will run in all kinds of issues.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

isn't the extra 4pins for the cpu? even so, I am already suspecting it's my psu, but wanted to confirm it with you guys, first.

thanks for the comments. will still be waiting for other tips

isn't the extra 4pins for the cpu? even so, I am already suspecting it's my psu, but wanted to confirm it with you guys, first.

thanks for the comments. will still be waiting for other tips

The generic power supply really has to go.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

hmmm I haven't been using the second disk drive and my connection is still all over the place.

I needed to search for something an hour ago, and no internet.

right now, I am able to use it.

really weird...tsk