Should I replace PSU?

WIEZZY

Hey,

A guy on Tom's Hardware told me that I "need to replace that PSU before you overclock. Raidmax PSU's are very bad." That is easy for him to say since it is not his money, and I would like to get a few opinions from this site as to the validity of that claim.

Here is my PSU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817152044

I am planning to OC a 4790k with an H110 cooler and also have a GTX 780ti graphics card and Asrock Extreme 6 MB.

That was a very expensive PSU and I don't want to replace it unless I need to. Is that really something I NEED to replace, or is it something I SHOULD replace, or is he totally wrong and there's no reason to replace it? What would be the potential negative effects of trying to OC with a "bad" PSU?

Thanks for your opinions, and let me know if I didn't provide the necessary information.

Doesn't seem to be anything wrong with it to me

Looks fine and has good ratings

First Build:

Case: Bitfenix Prodigy Black          GPU: MSI R9 270 Gaming@1050/1500         CPU: i5 4570          Motherboard: ASUS H81I Plus          PSU: Corsair CX600          RAM: 8GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT         Cooling: 230mm Bitfenix Spectre Pro Intake; Corsair AF140 Rear Exuast; 2x120mm Stock Case Fans Top Exuast        Storage: WD Blue 1TB          OS: Windows 8.1 Pro 64 Bit

This isn't a bad PSU. It's multi-railed so you need to be careful on not to overload any of them.

I would try it. I did notice quite a few reviews from the Newegg page seem to indicate that this PSU has problems with crashing/failing, so do with that information what you wish. Just keep in mind that if your pc starts having issues, it very well might be the psu. Good luck!

Laptop - Lenovo Y50   Keyboard - Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown   Mouse - Logitech G502 Proteus Core   Mousepad - Razer Firefly

Please read the LTT Code of Conduct before submitting a post

This isn't a bad PSU. It's multi-railed so you need to be careful on not to overload any of them.

+12V1@36A, +12V2@36A, +12V3@36A, +12V4@36A, -12V@0.5A 

vs  71.6A + 12v on a Corsair AX860i

Not sure if I would call it good either.

A guy on Tom's Hardware told me that I "need to replace that PSU before you overclock. Raidmax PSU's are very bad." That is easy for him to say since it is not his money, and I would like to get a few opinions from this site as to the validity of that claim.

It's a decent PSU. That guy doesn't know what he's saying and only judges it because it's made by a brand stereotyped to make bad PSUs in the low end.

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/23/raidmax_rx1000ae_1000w_power_supply_review/9

Desktop: Intel Core i5 2380P (2400 w/o iGPU), MSI H61, 8GB RAM, 256GB SP610, 500GB WD Blue, HIS R9 280, Antec TruePower Classic 550W, Inwin MANA 134, QNIX QX2710, CM QuickFire Rapid, Logitech G402

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite L40D, AMD A6-6310, 6GB RAM, 500GB HDD, Radeon R4 Graphics, 14" 1366x768

Phone: iPhone 6 Space Gray 64GB, T-Mobile $60/mo 3GB plan

From a hardOCP reveiw they pass and say it could be better but it is not a bad unit. There are better ones out there but this one is not worthy of being replaced. You won't streets it out anyway with a little bit of Overclocking.

And got ninja'd with he hardocp reveiw.

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

I'm not sure if I understand the point you are trying to make.

Wow, thanks guys (and ladies). I will keep it then. 

I have no idea what any of that means. I guess if it catches on fire I know I'm doing something wrong.

?

I'm not sure if I understand the point you are trying to make.

Same here^

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

its not bad or good!!!

Huh? You can't really tell a power supply is good or bad just by how much amps 12V rail(s) can use.

Also theoretically, the OP's PSU can consume up to 1728W on the +12V rails (but I highly doubt it can sustain that use for any reasonable amount of time, or if it even can in the first place).

Raidmax is known to make bad psu's, however this particular model is not that bad, so as long as you're not going for serious overclocking, you should be fine =)

read this review, just to make sure:-

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2011/02/23/raidmax_rx1000ae_1000w_power_supply_review/9#.VFlCdPmUdfc

What do you define as "serious"? I wanted to try to get my 4790k to at least 4.7 GHz, but having never OCed anything before, I have no idea what part the PSU plays.