Work Build - 3D Modeling + 3D Printing / CAD / Rendering

Hi Guys,

We had some troubles picking the parts listed below for a good price to performance work PC for the office where we'll do 3D modeling, we'll be using several 3D printers (all with their individual software) so there is a posiblity of having to work with some complex models. Also the PC will be used for CAD, 3D rendering etc.

So the main thing here is to keep it close to our small budget for a work PC.

Please share any thought that could improve our pick before we head on to the shelves.

Also we are looking for a good wokring monitor, if there are some models that will be great for a working environement, please share.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3bBbcf

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus SABERTOOTH Z97 MARK 1 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LP 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Arctic White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer

• 5 months later...

What software will you be using? I've been using inventor pro on some small projects and my build (4670k @4.2, gtx 970 g1, 16gb of ram) has been keeping up just fine. Your power supply is a bit overkill, with a 970, that system won't use much more than 400-500 watts at the wall, so downgrading to a 600-700w power supply wouldn't be a bad idea to increase efficiency and decrease cost a bit.

Depending on what software you use, getting a used quadro might not be a bad idea, but check here http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jspto get an estimate oh how much power the system will use with whatever card you decide to use.

For a monitor, benq has a lot of "pro" monitors that have superior colors and what not, asus is the same. But a general 1080p monitor will get the job done. Since its a workstation, a second one might not be a bad idea for productivity reasons. Maybe an ultra Wide? I've heard a 2560x1080 panel is pretty good for productivity, but I've never used one. Poke around reviews of a products, see what people use them for. This goes for all the other parts, but what you have is a good starting point. Hope this helps!

ASU