CPU Randomly overheating

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering if this has happened to anyone else. A couple of hours ago I was watching some Youtube videos and I heard my cpu fan ramp up to 100% so I felt the air my case fans were pushing out and it was pretty warm (much warmer than usual). It's only happened that one time. I think the CPU could possibly be dying, it's a core2 duo e7400 @2.8ghz with the stock cooler and I've been using it most days for 6 years now with the standard clock. I have noticed it's been running warmer than usual for the last couple of months but not too much higher. Anyway I turned it off and let it cool for a while and it's been performing fine since. anyone know what the cause of this was?

When was the last time you cleaned out the dust from your PC and replaced the CPU thermal paste?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

You might need to change the thermal paste.  And reseat it and that will be that and it will probably run more cooler.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

Try removing the cooler, cleaning off the thermal paste, cleaning out the fins of the cooler, applying new thermal paste, and putting the cooler back on.

Might as well clean out the rest of the dust while you're at it.

From what I have seen, after a few years of use most computers need the thermal paste replaced as it tends to be pretty cheap shitty stuff that dries up over time and becomes useless, though that typically is with pre-built systems.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Thanks for all the replies already, I cleaned the dust out pretty recently maybe a month ago and did the thermal paste in January.

Thanks for all the replies already, I cleaned the dust out pretty recently maybe a month ago and did the thermal paste in January.

Check your temps with RealTempGT.

Main: i7 2600 | ASUS P8Z68-V | 2x4GB Vengeance 1600 | GTX 580 | WD Blue 1TB | Antec TP-650C | NH U12S | W7 x64

Backup: X6 1090T | MSI K9A2 Platinum | 4x2GB XMS2 800 | GTX 550Ti | WD Blue 1TB |  Antec VP-450 | CM TX3 | W7 x64

my temps are alright, idle is around 40c and playing Thief I had 57 max

Do you know how to correctly apply thermal paste?

Do you know how to correctly apply thermal paste?

Yeah put a bit of paste the size of an uncooked grain of rice on the center of the cpu

Like everyone said applying new thermal paste would be good; it's something you should try to do every once in a while.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Like everyone said applying new thermal paste would be good; it's something you should try to do every once in a while.

But I've done it and it has normal temps the rest of the time it's only that one time that it's heated up like that.

That kind of overheating isn't something that can really be called even overheating. Its more likely that some background process started and required that tad much more CPU power that fan needed to boost its rpm. However you should consider continuous temp monitoring. RealTemp is good for that as you can use its task bar icons to check temps while on desktop. If ramping happens again, check highest temp that cores have reached. If thats over 85C then we can talk about overheating.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

That kind of overheating isn't something that can really be called even overheating. Its more likely that some background process started and required that tad much more CPU power that fan needed to boost its rpm. However you should consider continuous temp monitoring. RealTemp is good for that as you can use its task bar icons to check temps while on desktop. If ramping happens again, check highest temp that cores have reached. If thats over 85C then we can talk about overheating.

Ok, I didn't even think about it being a background task I think that was probably it