Can you put a magnet on your screwdriver?

Ok so I was going to do maintenance and I don't have any magnetic screwdriver. Wanted to remove MOBO. Now my dad uses a strong little magnet I could use, for testing jewlery, if it's sterling or not. So yeah, can I stick on the side of my screwdriver while putting it near my MOBO and stuff?

I wouldn't. 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Yes... maybe.... hard to say for sure, the factors are:

• Touching other components due to size
  • Effecting other components due to magnet strength

I think it will be fine but only you can make the final choice, I don't think i would.

You don't need to worry about magnets (unless they're dumbstrong) being near your components--just don't jab your motherboard with a screwdriver. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

You don't need to worry about magnets (unless they're dumbstrong) being near your components--just don't jab your motherboard with a screwdriver. 

Yeah well it is kinda strong.... stick pretty hard and stuff.

Yeah well it is kinda strong.... stick pretty hard and stuff.

I meant like an industrial magnet. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes... maybe.... hard to say for sure, the factors are:

• Touching other components due to size
  • Effecting other components due to magnet strength

I think it will be fine but only you can make the final choice, I don't think i would.

Yeah... but I think if I don't use any magnet I won't be able to pull the screw out lol.

If its SUPER strong, I would avoid it

magnetised screwdrivers are generally not that strong, though it should not be an issue unless your are sticking around your mechanical hard drives

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Instead of attaching the magnet to the screwdriver, try stroking the screwdriver with the magnet a few times. Make all your strokes in the same direction. This has worked for me to temporarily magnetize a screwdriver

well you can try to magnetism the screwdriver.http://www.wikihow.com/Magnetize-Metal

Intel i7 4702MQ| Nvidia GTX 850M| Kingston 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz| Acer VA70_HW (mobo)| 1TB WD Blue| MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8E0|1600x900 display|Win 8.1

Intel i5 4690K @Stock| Sapphire 390 Nitro| Hyper X Fury 2x4GB| MSI SLI Krait z97| Noctua Nh-U12S | 850 EVO 256GB| 2TB WD Black | CM V 850w| Enthoo Luxe

If you want to tag me or any person with periods do: @[Member='Name]

Instead of attaching the magnet to the screwdriver, try stroking the screwdriver with the magnet a few times. Make all your strokes in the same direction. This has worked for me to temporarily magnetize a screwdriver

The magnet is really small. It's like the size of a pea, without the sphere, if you know what I mean.

I'm not an electical engineer or anything, but I think if you are careful not to touch any bits on the mobo, you should be OK.  if you think there is some risk, put some tape (electrical tape if you have any) on top of components near the screw first.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Why would you do that in the first place? almost all screwdrivers are magnetized already and they will keep the screws stuck on them..... it's a really uncomfortable thing to do :/
but no, you would not damage anything as long as it's turned off and the magnet is not made for lifting cars. Magnetic fields are all over your computer anyways when it's powered. Don't worry about that.