Which RGB Keyswitch Do You Prefer?

Zeals

Recently there is a new trend towards RGB mechanical keyboards and there are now a lot more switches on offer than just Cherry MX which could be attributed to Corsairs exclusive deal or just the Cherry patents expiring.

So the options that we have right now are the Cherry MX RGB which we have in the Corsair RGB series. These have 50 million keystroke lifespan with the internal LED which is meant to improve the life of the LEDs.

Kailh which I believe make the switches for Razer Blackwidow Chroma but is also used in Tesoro RGB mechanical keyboards. These are rated for 60 million keystrokes and I'm not sure if it's a placebo but it feels quite different to Cherrys. They also have a single LED, but unlike Cherry isn't built inside the switch itself.

Finally we have the new Logitech RGB which use their new Romer-G switches. According to the Logitech people at the PAX Australia Booth they are made by Omron; who are probably the most popular mouse switch manufacturer and these switches apparently have a 70 million keystroke lifespan. These have LEDs inside the switch itself similar to Cherry, but unlike Cherry they use a hollow square key cap mounting system which is meant to improve brightness. 

If you know of any other RGB keyswitches please mention them in the comments :). Also what's with all the keyboard manufacturers one upping each other with an extra 10 million keystrokes? 

EDIT: Personally from what I've tried I'm leaning towards Cherry RGB. I don't like the feel of the tactile bump on the Kailh switches, they don't feel as prominent as Cherry. As for the Logitech Romer-G's I personally think the actuation is too high. 

This is a very opinionated question.

Cherry or bust.

NCASE M1 i5-9600k  GTX 1080 FE Z370N-WIFI SF600 NH-U9S LPX 32GB 960EVO

I'm a self-identifying Corsair Nvidia Fanboy; Get over it.

Not many of us can comment on Romer-G at least. We haven't had the pleasure to try it. Personally, I do like MX Browns, but would be keen on trying Topre switches, like on the NovaTouch TKL.

I don't like how they (especially Razer) advertise the number of keystrokes their switch can handle before dying. Who can finished 50 million strokes before getting a new keyboard? I've played osu! for four years and my keys are fine.

EDIT: back to topic, don't bother with RGB imo

Too hard for me to say; I'm sure that all of them (even Kailh) are just fine. It's the rest of the keyboard where I begin to have a few nitpicky issues. Overly complicated software/dim backlighting, lack of dedicated media keys, having a hideous wrist rest/unchangeable colors on the media and profile keys...

Topre is the best imo, but since it's not that common I usually side with Cherry MX.

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

For RGB keyboards, I'd w/o hesitation go Cherry RGB, but I'd be willing to try out the Omron Romer-G switch on the Logitech RGB keyboards as well. Razer/Kailh RGB switches.....no way in hell! :P

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

I got home from Pax Aus today, so I've basically tested every keyboard out there. Here's my thoughts:

Kailh vs. Cherry. Prepare for a flame war. See, here's the thing, switches aren't this magical complex thing. They have two functions, register as on, register as off. That's it. You can't re-invent the wheel.

Kailh switches feel no different to Cherry switches. I think there's a big case of placebo effect going on, people saying they feel different based on pre-conceived ideas. My housemate has a Tesoro keyboard, which cost him at least $70 less than a Corsair RGB keyboard. The keys, feel exactly the same as MX Browns. The keys are consistent across different keyboard, and on the keyboard themselves. Durability, well, we'll see. I think Kailh switches are going to be more and more popular in the next year or so. I think the people saying "Cherry MX or go home, because german precision" need to stop being such god damn cry-babies. If you don't like buying things manufactured in Asia, don't buy tech. It's that simple.

So, with that out of the way, here's my stance on everything available on the market right now.

Cherry MX: Going to be the point of reference I suppose.

Kailh: No difference between Kailh and Cherry

G-Romers: To me, feel like shit. Not enough feedback, but they aren't linear either. As far as the "faster actuations" go, the feeling in the key may change, but I doubt anyone alive is going to be any better at their games because of it. I'm not impressed with Logitechs new keyboard, at all. Assuming it gets a release this year, it gets my award for most overhyped and overrated product of the year.

Coolermaster Capacitive: I actually really like these. The feedback is very nice, and the keys themselves are pretty light, but not in a bad MX Red kind of way. 10/10 I think anyone who bought these would be reasonably satisfied. They aren't RGB backlit, but maybe it'll happen.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770k | Mobo: MSI Mpower Max | Cooling: Cryorig R1 Ultimate w/ XT140 front Fan | GPU: EVGA GTX 770 Dual SC SLI | Case: NZXT H440 | Case Fans: Phanteks PH-140SP x5 | PSU: EVGA Supernova P2 1000W | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer | SSD: Kingston HyperX 3k 120GB | HDD: Seagate Barracude

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD438s | Mousepad: Razer Goliathus Control | Monitor 1: Benq XL2430T | Monitor 2: BenQ RL2455HM 

I don't think people are saying that Kailh switch are inferior per se, more like due to their being clones of Cherry MX switches and are made in China (NOT necessarily a bad thing) they are of relatively unknown quantity. How long will they last vis-a-vis Cherry MX? I've tried Kailh Red switch keyboard on an Armeggeddon keyboard (not the one I had bought which had Cherry MX switch) and it felt no different from Cherry Red. Just like how Kailh Green feels like Cherry Blue, Razer fanboys would have you believe they can feel the difference due to a slightly raised activation point on the Kailh Green.....it's in the mind. The real difference is quality, Kailh/Razer Green and Orange are best described as 'iffy' in terms of quality. Also, Razer/Kailh switches are cheaper than Cherry MX switches, this should result in saving which Razer has saw fit NOT to pass on to buyers.

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

Watch the Cherry factory tour and see how dedicated they are about making these switches.

If the alternatives were much cheaper it'd be worth considering but the fact that most manufacturers are charging almost as much if not more than those using Cherry MX switches sort of makes it an easy decision to make for me.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Romer mainly because of the LED sitting in the middle of the switch --> all caps lighted evenly.

All other switches cannot provide this and suffer from unevenly lit caps.

Logitech used their brain here when designing those switches.

Feeling when typing - like MX-Browns with less tactile feedback but slightly stronger but earlier actuation - earlier is what Logitech means with faster.

Will it make a difference when gaming? - Surely not.

They feel comfortable to me.

My favourite would be something like MX-Blue - I am using MX-Blue at work and I like them a lot.

Nothing, because Topre > Cherry MX. 

Do they make a Cherry MX Black board yet? That might be worth my time if it's not Corsair.

I don't think people are saying that Kailh switch are inferior per se, more like due to their being clones of Cherry MX switches and are made in China (NOT necessarily a bad thing) they are of relatively unknown quantity. How long will they last vis-a-vis Cherry MX? I've tried Kailh Red switch keyboard on an Armeggeddon keyboard (not the one I had bought which had Cherry MX switch) and it felt no different from Cherry Red. Just like how Kailh Green feels like Cherry Blue, Razer fanboys would have you believe they can feel the difference due to a slightly raised activation point on the Kailh Green.....it's in the mind. The real difference is quality, Kailh/Razer Green and Orange are best described as 'iffy' in terms of quality. Also, Razer/Kailh switches are cheaper than Cherry MX switches, this should result in saving which Razer has saw fit NOT to pass on to buyers.

Well when it comes to Kailh vs Cherry. The linear (Reds/Blacks) basically feel the same to me. The Kailh (blues) don't have as sharp of a 'click' sound as Cherry. As for Kailh (browns), at least in the keyboards I've sampled, the tactile bump seems higher and less of a 'bump'. But I think I can tell the difference, or Mr Placebo is in full swing.