Whats the difference?

I have had a good look and I though I would ask the community on what the difference is with these 2 motherboards, also which one would you get as I am also going to get an FX-8350 also.

http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/crosshair-v-formula/

http://rog.asus.com/motherboard/formula/crosshair-v-formula-z/

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat Spinthat

Crosshair V Formula Z says this System Bus: Up to 5.2 GT/s HyperTransport 3.0

In the specs for the Crosshair V Formula, it says this: 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode)
1 x PCIe 2.0 x1
1 x PCI

While the Z says this: 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)
2 x PCIe 2.0 x1
Formula Z also features two Asmedia SATA 6Gbps (red) and two eSATA ports(red). While the Crosshair V Formula has one of each.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Crosshair V Formula Z says this "System Bus: Up to 5.2 GT/s HyperTransport™ 3.0"

That's one difference I found.

In the specs for the Crosshair V Formula, it says this: 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)

1 x PCIe 2.0 x1

1 x PCI

While the Z says this: 3 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (dual x16 or x16/x8/x8)

2 x PCIe 2.0 x1

Thanks which one would you recommend for an FX-8350 ?

Asus M5A99X Evo  - AMD FX-8350 - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1866Mhz - Corsair 120mm Quiet Edition Fans BenQ XL2411Z- EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked Fractal Design Define R4 - Corsair H100i - 2 TB 7200rpm HDD - Samsung 840 Evo 120GB - Corsair RM750w PSU - Logitech G502 Proteus Core - Corsair K70 RGB MX Red - Audio Technica M50x + Modmic 4.0 - LG 23EA63V x2

the formula-z has a pci-e 1x where the normal one has a pci lane, it has a post led, an extra sata port, a better audio solution, better memory oc'ing stability and possibly software differences, didn't really see any though

it's pretty much the same but if you can get the z one

unless you need a pci lane i would get the formula-z

Either one should work well. Whatever you really want/need.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks

I'd get the Formula-Z, as it supports the Vishera (2nd Gen Bulldozer) CPUs without having to update your BIOS

The formula-z has completely redesigned vrm and runs 8+2+2 with a phase directly powering your system memory. There are also a lot of other things that were completely changed under the hood of the z model.

I'd always try to see the expansion slots first, plan accordingly to what your system would use - hence I can't really say much.

however, should both of these boards satisfy your needs, then I'd go with the formula-Z as stated above :)

Check out the build: Used to be Obot, now Lilith

Shameless: Me