Intel Next Generation Broadwell CPUs Delayed.

You do realize that the overclocking market is very insignificant in intel's overall sales, it's pretty understandable why they didn't focus on overclocking but instead focused on on more power efficiency which gives them the edge in portable computing. plus the majority (vast majority) of desktop users don't overclock, heck the majority don't even build their computers. 

so from the company's point of view, it makes sense to focus on improving features that will effect the majority of the market. 

plus, intel is in a very comfortable position when it comes to performance due to the lack of competition from AMD, their CPU's are miles ahead of AMD cpu's, this gives them the freedom to work on things other than performance boosts. 

please don't overhype products that you have no idea how they're gonna perform, haven't learned your lesson from bulldozer's launch?

and do you honestly think that a company that's as big as intel who's driving the industry forward and pretty much owns the market is gonna struggle with a new process shrink? they're building new manufacturing fabs just for 14nm cpu's for god sake. 

I completely agree with what you are saying.  The amount of people who are looking to upgrade from sandy or ivy to haswell. I want to see Intel CPU's stock clocked at 4Ghz.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

I want to see Intel CPU's stock clocked at 4Ghz.

That's a large part of why I haven't had many hopes for the CPU market in the last couple of years. I don't see much reason at all why Intel could not have sold a 4GHz sandy bridge under a 125W TDP. Aside from cannibalizing their 2011 platform with their quad cores or possibly alienating AMD. 

I recall there was a while last year where a $180 i5 would outrun any thing you could do with AMD for pretty much any real world use.

My rig: 2600k(4.2 GHz) w/ Cooler Master hyper 212+, Gigabyte Z68-UD3H-B3, Powercolor 7870 xt(1100/1500) w/AIO mod,

8GB DDR3 1600, 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSD, 1TB Seagate, Antec earthwatts 430, NZXT H2

Verified max overclock, just for kicks: http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2609399

I completely agree with what you are saying.  The amount of people who are looking to upgrade from sandy or ivy to haswell. I want to see Intel CPU's stock clocked at 4Ghz.

GHz's mean nothing to performance, look at AMD, they just keep bumping up the frequency and increasing the TDP of their cpu's like a bunch of desperate attention whores. 

where as intel is focusing more increasing the instruction per cycle performance. 

think of it this way, 

you have "generation X" running a stock frequency of 3.5 Ghz, instead of releasing "generation Y" with a 4GHz stock frequency, you release it at 3.5GHz but make it perform like a 4GHz "generation X"

Well then. This makes me want to just skip Haswell as a new PC build because if they are going to refresh it why bother getting it now. Well... Time to go back to Ivy Bridge.

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Well then. This makes me want to just skip Haswell as a new PC build because if they are going to refresh it why bother getting it now. Well... Time to go back to Ivy Bridge.

Get a 3930k. If your upgrading might as-well get more cores.

System: i5-2500k, Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3, Mushkin Enhanced Blackline, R9 290X, CoolerMaster Elite 430, OCZ Vector, Corsair RM650, Dell U2412M, Corsair H60, Sidewinder X6, M6880, Asus Xonar DG      
Steam username: Armorhype          Origin username: Armorhype          Xbox Live Gamertag: Armorhype                   

Get a 3930k. If your upgrading might as-well get more cores.

I was thinking more of a new build scenario. I don't have my own build as of yet and a 3930k is a lot of money for lil' ol' me. :(

Setup: i5 4670k @ 4.2 Ghz, Corsair H100i Cooler, Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB Ram @ 1600 Mhz, MSI Z87-GD65 Motherboard, Corsair GS700 2013 edition PSU, MSI GTX 770 Lightning, Samsung EVO 120 SSD + 2TB&1TB Seagate Barracudas, BenQ XL2411T Monitor, Sennheiser HD 598 Headphones + AntLion ModMic 4.0

Disappointing considering the heat issues with Haswell.

I sense it's AMD's chance to snatch back a % of the market.

Akula  | Dimastech Test Bench | Watercooled | Tri GTX 680's | Build of the Week

Mercury | Caselabs Mercury S3 | Watercooled | GTX Titan | Build of the Week

Armada | Define R4 Titanium | Watercooled | EK Waterblocks | Newest Buildlog

Yay! Another year I won't have to upgrade my computer! I'll stick with my 2700K till 2015. Good thing too because I don't think I will be able to afford to while in college. 

CPU: AMD 3950x Mobo: MSI B550 RAM: 32GB DDR4 GPU: Asus 3080 Strix PSU: Superflower Leadex 3 720w Case: BeQuiet 500DX

Storage: 2TB SSD + 4TB HDD Audio: SMSL 793ii -> HiFiman HE-400 + Mission MS-50 Speakers

So do I hold off a year and go Haswell E and have all that time to save up all my pennies? :D

Is this the real life? Or is this just fantasy?

Interesting! IB-E will be interesting, but most likely not worth an upgrade if you already have a 3930k... Then again, it's been a while since this was released and I'm fairly sure they're not going to simple shrink it. They must do something!

What I'm waiting for, is an increase in performance that rivals the increase from the Pentium to the Core series or like from the Core series to the Core ix series. I'm willing to bet that my first gen core i7 (950) will perform perfectly acceptably compared to Haswell and the Haswell shrink in games and a lot of other general use tests. I certainly doubt that my 3930k beats my 950 in games. The only reason this computer performs better is that it has three 7970s instead of one 6970. However, for things like video rendering and such, this computer blows that one away. Especially since the highest stable OC I can get on the 950 is 3.84GHz whereas the 3930k is at 4.3 and can go higher.

However, we shall see. Maybe AMD will come out with something that surprises everyone. I mean, the haven't outperformed Intel since back in the Pentium days (was it Pentium? I wasn't much of a PC guy back then).