Dual Core vs Quad Core

Yatin

Hey,

I wanted to know if there is a significant difference in performance when doing multitasking or web browsing or all the other basic stuff?

My choices-

Dual Core=Pentium G3258 (No overclocking)

Quad Core=i5 4460

Yes. G3258 can be faster in some applications IF you overclock it. If you don't then i5 will just fly past the pentium in everything.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

i5 4460. If gaming and OC theres more fps when OC'ing G3258 but for your needs I would take i5

bf4-pentium-614x250.jpg

Choosing a dualcore without hyperthreading in 2014 is a bit silly IMO. The only valid scenario would be if you are on a very tight budget or if you don't need to multitask at all. I personally would pick an i3 over the pentium and obviously the i5 as your best bet if the price is fine for you.

What type of a question is this, those CPU's cannot to be compared like this since they're designed for two totally different scenario's and/or budgets.

Without context, this is impossible to properly answer.

i5 4460. If gaming and OC theres more fps when OC'ing G3258 but for your needs I would take i5

bf4-pentium-614x250.jpg

Depends on the game though, if these were arma benchmarks it would be a very different story

CPU: i7 3770k@ 4.6Ghz@ 1.23v - GPU: Palit GTX 660ti - MOBO: Asrock Extreme 4 - RAM: Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600Mhz - PSU: OCZ 650watt - STORAGE: 128Gb corsair force GT SSD/ 1TB seagate barracuda 7200rpm

COOLING: NH-U14s/ 3x Noiseblocker blacksilent pros/ Silverstone Air Penetrator/ 2 corsair AF120s

What did they test this on... 270X @ ultra settings? This is a very stupid benchmark.

the i5-4460 is a vastly superior CPU in every regards, if you can afford it then go for it

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

What did they test this on... 270X @ ultra settings? This is a very stupid benchmark.

Its single-player. Basically any CPU Battlefield 4 test conducted in single-player will be GPU-limited as long as its got at least a basic modern dual-core processor. If they used a high-end GPU, the numbers would just be bigger. The bars would be just as perfectly flat from one CPU to the next.

Its single-player. Basically any CPU Battlefield 4 test conducted in single-player will be GPU-limited as long as its got at least a basic modern dual-core processor. If they used a high-end GPU, the numbers would just be bigger. The bars would be just as perfectly flat from one CPU to the next.

disabling hyper-threading and turning off two CPU cores to test games is something i sure did right away when i got my haswell i7 and let me tell you this: the pentium leaves a lot to be desired if you are running anything higher than R9 270X or GTX 660...or if you play at sub 1080p resolution. A strong quad-core CPU is the least i can recommend for modern gaming and this means core i5-2500 or better...core i3 haswell hummm maybe but GPU should be GTX 770 or R9 280X at max...

Trowing BF4 MULTIPLAYER on 2 CPU cores at 4.4ghz with a GTX 780 at 1080p...you get GPU load in the 70 to 80% tops. And the game stutter and take pauses at times on full servers...not an enjoyable experience at all, CPU is pinned at 100% on both cores...and this is only BF4, you guys know there are much more cpu demanding games out there (watchdogs for example is unplayable on a dual core CPU regardless of the clockspeed...at least the ''driving around town'' is not playable...on foot mission is another story)

Now, problem is: most reviews done at the time that thing (the g3258) launched where kind of made to make that chip looks like a good gaming chip...you know, it was tested with single player games...most of them not very demanding on the CPU, not multi-threaded and while using a low or mid tier GPU...so people went off with it and it is now to me THE MOST overrated CPU of all time, and the problem is that it was very cheap so the yougner people bought it and those not owning anything better have never seen what a ''real'' cpu can do they think this performs fine cause they get playable framerates out of it with their R9 270 or whatever the case may be...(i'll probably get insulted and corrected for saying this by the next comment check it out) but from a more experienced stand point i'm telling you EVEN with 8mb of cache (from the i7) and very high clockspeed: this is not something i recommend for ANY gaming rig in 2014 it's just pointless.

It's perfect for a daily rig to surf the web and do office work type of things...but you don't need an unlocked pentium to do that...so from the most hyped CPU of all time for many persons point of view it went to completely useless POS in the real world.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

...and this is only BF4, you guys know there are much more cpu demanding games out there

Right, and much less demanding ones, too. ;)

The important thing is just to know what you're getting with a Pentium G3258. We are comparing a $75 CPU to a $200+ one and while its outstanding when overclocked we can't really hold it to exactly the same standard. If you can afford a quad-core (and I would count an i3 under that category), there is a tangible framerate return for that investment.

Dual Core=Pentium G3258 (No overclocking)

I would like to add as well that if you're not going to overclock, either get a cheaper, locked Pentium or move up to an i3 or i5. The G3258 is really such a great deal because it allows you to overclock.

Buy Pentium G3258 now; upgrade later.

This also beats all AMD cpu in emulators.

disabling hyper-threading and turning off two CPU cores to test games is something i sure did right away when i got my haswell i7 and let me tell you this: the pentium leaves a lot to be desired if you are running anything higher than R9 270X or GTX 660...or if you play at sub 1080p resolution. A strong quad-core CPU is the least i can recommend for modern gaming and this means core i5-2500 or better...core i3 haswell hummm maybe but GPU should be GTX 770 or R9 280X at max...

Trowing BF4 MULTIPLAYER on 2 CPU cores at 4.4ghz with a GTX 780 at 1080p...you get GPU load in the 70 to 80% tops. 

Not sure what's wrong with your computer.

But this is what BF4 on multiplayer looks like with Pentium G3258 at 4.4ghz:

My experience with G3258 agrees that it mostly hits 60fps even in 64-player multiplayer big maps(it's more like 60-90 in operation locker).

You probably have too much crap running in the background or something.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Buy Pentium G3258 now; upgrade later.

yeah why not, this is a very bright move...waste 70$ now and invest in a good cpu that will last you forever after that...sounds epic!

yeah why not, this is a very bright move...waste 70$ now and invest in a good cpu that will last you forever after that...sounds epic!

Yeah because everyone has unlimited budget...

hint: if someone is considering $55-70 cpu and low end i5, he probably has a limited budget.

Getting Pentium G3258 is still better than getting an i5 and having to spend less on GPU.  It holds its own(or is better) in the vast majority of games.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

What type of a question is this, those CPU's cannot to be compared like this since they're designed for two totally different scenario's and/or budgets.

Without context, this is impossible to properly answer.

Actually, if I buy the i5, I will have to use the integrated graphics. With the G3258, I would have some money left with me to at least buy an entry level gaming GPU.