How well will 770 do SLI with my 680

Scott66

I have a nice MSI 680 GTX video card and wondering since the 770 is basically a 680 architecture with more and faster memory.

Can I get the cheaper 770 and have it work well in SLI with my 680

It wont SLI because its a completely different card in every aspect except for the fact that the "core" is the same die. Its like trying to pair an i7 with a Xeon for a dual CPU system.

Darn, I was hoping since they are both Kepler GK104 cards with same 22 nm architecture and has the same number ofshaders, TMUs and render output units they could get along in SLI

Darn, I was hoping since they are both Kepler GK104 cards with same 22 nm architecture and has the same number ofshaders, TMUs and render output units they could get along in SLI

by that logic you could also sli a gtx 570 and a gtx 480,without modified bios,drivers,or anything else.

what do you need the sli for?

what resolution do you play at?

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

I'm curious. If you flashed one with the others bios whether or not you could make it work.

Theoretically it should be possible.

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

by that logic you could also sli a gtx 570 and a gtx 480,without modified bios,drivers,or anything else.

This isn't the same thing.

The 680 and 770 are essentially the same card same core, same PCB Design, Just clocked higher.

The 680 and 770 are both GK 104

The 480 is a GF 100 and the 570 is a GF 110

One Steam to rule them all, One Sale to find them, One Sale to bring them all and with their wallets, bind them! - r/pcmasterrace 17/01/2014

Spoiler
  • CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
  • CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212+ 
  • RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2400Mhz (2x8GB)
  • GPU: Gigabyte G1 R9 390 
  • Mobo: Asus Z170-AR
  • PSU: Antec High Current Gamer 900W 
  • Storage: 240GB intel 520 SSD (OS), Sandisk 128GB SSD(Other OS) 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 
  • Case: Fractal Design R4

I just got a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and notice a couple games chugging slightly at max settings where I never had that issue with my 1920x1080 display. I was hoping the 680s would have come down in price after the intro of the 780 and 770.

I'm curious. If you flashed one with the others bios whether or not you could make it work.

Theoretically it should be possible.

I have seen some threads discussing bringing some of the 770 features to the 680 with BIOS. I was hoping to avoid that.

I just got a 27" 2560x1440 monitor and notice a couple games chugging slightly at max settings where I never had that issue with my 1920x1080 display. I was hoping the 680s would have come down in price after the intro of the 780 and 770.

then I'd say sell the 680 and go for a 780 instead.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Like Mvitkun said, if upping the res is what your goal is, a 770 or SLI 680 would do you diddly squat, as you need a bigger memory bus and more memory, not more computing power.

A 780 or Radeon 7970 is what you need.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.