i7 4790k vs fx8350

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I'm looking to build my first computer soon and wanted to get everyones opinion on which of these cpus are best for gaming and multitasking? I want to be able to play a lot of games at max settings and I will be doing a lot of video editing/rendering for my youtube channel. I will also be pairing the cpu with a Gtx 970 if I can find it in stock. Thanks in advance!

Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/SkyferGaming

4790K then. :)

Or if you could afford a 5820K X99 with DDR4.

This 6 core 12 Threads cpu will offcourse be allot better in rendering.

Also quad channel ram will be benefitical for rendering.

But yeah X99 is an expensive platform.

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the forum so sorry if this topic has already been discussed. I'm looking to build my first computer soon and wanted to get everyones opinion on which of these cpus are best for gaming and multitasking? I want to be able to play a lot of games at max settings and I will be doing a lot of video editing/rendering for my youtube channel. I will also be pairing the cpu with a Gtx 970 if I can find it in stock. Thanks in advance!

4790k is miles better than the 8350. More pins, less power, and hella more powerful than the 8350.

if you have the money, go with intel. you want to compare 2 cpus with a price difference of 150-200 bucks (if im right xD).

budget: AMD

Not budget: intel. 

ezpz

4790K then. :)

Or if you could afford a 5820K X99 with DDR4

dont see a reason for it. it dont give you any big advantage

~Straw

dont see a reason for it. it dont give you any big advantage

~Straw

you dont see a big benefit for the 5820K 6 core 12 threads and quad channel ram.

For allot of video editing and rendering?

well i definitely do see a big advantage for that cpu ;)

But yeah like i said, the X99 platform is realy expensive.

4790K is offcourse still a good cpu for rendering, but just no where near as good as the 5820k.

So if he could afford X99, wenn he is doing allot of rendering work, then i would definitely go for it.

you dont see a big benefit for the 5820K 6 core 12 threads and quad channel ram.

For allot of video editing and rendering?

well i definitely do see a big advantage for that cpu ;)

But yeah like i said, the X99 platform is realy expensive.

4790K is offcourse still a good cpu for rendering, but just no where near as good as the 5820k

didnt read the full threadpost at the beginning *again*.

but well, its much more expensive. and then you need to ask yourself: is it worth it to spend 3x more for 2x faster rendering speed? IMO its not worth it as an hobby. maybe because i never rendered a video longer than 7 minutes. 

~Straw

but well, its much more expensive. and then you need to ask yourself: is it worth it to spend 3x more for 2x faster rendering speed? IMO its not worth it as an hobby. maybe because i never rendered a video longer than 7 minutes. 

~Straw

well its a bit depending on which X99 parts you buy

The 5820K cpu it self isnt that much more expensive.

Msi X99S Sli plus is also do-able.

Only the DDR4 ram prices are a bit higher.

overall indeed it will be a bit more expensive, especialy if you compair to cheaper lowerend Z97 boards.

But yeah, in the end both ways are good to go. only with X99 he will save allot of time rendering.

well its a bit depending on which X99 parts you buy

The 5820K cpu it self isnt that much more expensive.

Msi X99S Sli plus is also do-able.

Only the DDR4 ram prices are a bit higher.

overall indeed it will be a bit more expensive, especialy if you compair to cheaper lowerend Z97 boards.

But yeah, in the end both ways are good to go. only with X99 he will save allot of time rendering.

Just wondering if he's gonna use Adobe CC. I think(but im not sure, just my own experience with fx-6100 and gt 430) rendering with the gpu is faster than with cpu.

~Straw

4790k, hands down. The 8350 is on a defunct socket.

It's not defunct. It may be older, but it is still a valid socket.  Think before you post.

QUOTE ME OR I PROBABLY WON'T SEE YOUR RESPONSE 

My Setup:

Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 9 3900X  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15  Motherboard: Asus Prime X370-PRO  RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @3200MHz  GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 FTW3 ULTRA (+50 core +400 memory)  Storage: 1050GB Crucial MX300, 1TB Crucial MX500  PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 P2  Chassis: NZXT Noctis 450 White/Blue OS: Windows 10 Professional  Displays: Asus MG279Q FreeSync OC, LG 27GL850-B

Main Laptop:

Spoiler

Laptop: Sager NP 8678-S  CPU: Intel Core i7 6820HK @ 2.7GHz  RAM: 32GB DDR4 @ 2133MHz  GPU: GTX 980m 8GB  Storage: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO M.2 + 1TB Samsung 850 Pro + 1TB 7200RPM HGST HDD  OS: Windows 10 Pro  Chassis: Clevo P670RG  Audio: HyperX Cloud II Gunmetal, Audio Technica ATH-M50s, JBL Creature II

Thinkpad T420:

Spoiler

CPU: i5 2520M  RAM: 8GB DDR3  Storage: 275GB Crucial MX30

5820K: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HfXy8d

4790K: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/KrshFT

Arround $150,- diffrence. with compairable parts.

You could offcourse go cheaper on Z97 on the motherboard.

But i picked a higher quality board, otherwise it wouldnt be a fair compairisson

It rather makes it unfair :P

You have to include whats really needed & the cheapest, cheapest Z97 would just overclock as good as the Hero so no reason to take the hero.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($203.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($199.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $778.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 14:44 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $569.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 14:45 EDT-0400

But if you go with a 200$ board for a 4790K then you're better off going for X99.

It rather makes it unfair :P

You have to include whats really needed & the cheapest, cheapest Z97 would just overclock as good as the Hero so no reason to take the hero.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor  ($374.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock X99 Extreme3 ATX LGA2011-3 Motherboard  ($203.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Crucial 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($199.99 @ Adorama) 
Total: $778.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 14:44 EDT-0400

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($329.98 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($84.99 @ Micro Center) 
Total: $569.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-10-28 14:45 EDT-0400

But if you go with a 200$ board for a 4790K then you're better off going for X99.

well that cheap asrock Z97 will not overclock that good and stable as the Hero.

Vreg designs are totaly diffrent for that matter.

But i agree there are cheaper alternativities for Z97, like the Z97 Mpower.

But still the hero is a true 8 phase board with 60A chokes and what not. will be much more reliable and stable then any 4 powerphase board with or without doublers. or any 6 phase boards with doublers.

offcourse if you dont temp to overclock then it doesnt matter much which Z97 board you grab

But i still stand my statement, if you do allot of rendering work, X99 is the way to go.

If you can afford it. :)

Vreg designs are totaly diffrent for that matter.

But i agree there are cheaper alternativities for Z97, like the Z97 Mpower.

But still the hero is a true 8 phase board with 60A chokes and what not. will be much more reliable and stable then any 4 powerphase board with or without doublers. or any 6 phase boards with doublers.

offcourse if you dont temp to overclock then it doesnt matter much which Z97 board you grab

But i still stand my statement, if you do allot of rendering work, X99 is the way to go.

If you can afford it. :)

haswell cary the power delivery on the CPU itself so a cheap z97 motherboard is just as likely to reach the same frequencies as the most expensive motherboard...99% of the time you are limited by the quality of your chip and voltage caps not by the motherboard itself...only reason for more expensive motherboards on haswell would be for multiple graphics cards you'd wan't a PLX chip...otherwise the cheapest will do.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

Vreg designs are totaly diffrent for that matter. :)

Why not? Most 4790K's hardly go above 4.4GHz, the power they consume is almost as good as nothing. Also to give you an idea, a P9X79 pro, google overclocking results, is a 4 phase with a doubler which was easily doing 5GHz on a 3930K. http://sinhardware.com/images/vrmlist.png - Also that Z97 anniversary uses the same mosfets as the Rampage IV Black -> nextfet things.

What you mean by true phases is the PWM phasecount, a PWM controller regulates the phases by switching on & off, having more phases will reduce ripple (voltage afwijkingen). 4 phases is all you need these days, for high power consumption CPU's like X79/X99 and AMD 8350's etc mosfet quality is far more important than the true pwm phasecount.

haswell cary the power delivery on the CPU itself so a cheap z97 motherboard is just as likely to reach the same frequencies as the most expensive motherboard...99% of the time you are limited by the quality of your chip and voltage caps not by the motherboard itself...only reason for more expensive motherboards on haswell would be for multiple graphics cards you'd wan't a PLX chip...otherwise the cheapest will do.

Lets say your the CPU vreg and I'm the motherboard VRM. I give you current with a ripple of 0.1mVt, you take it and you bring it down to 0.02mVt and giving it to the CPU. The integrated pwm controller in the CPU filters it once more. Yeah you're hitting the wall long before you need exotic VRM.

yes and no, the voltage regulation is indeed inside the chip.

But the power that has to be delivered to it, still depends on the quality of the vreg design of the mobo.

people think that haswell chips are low power chips, but they arent.

overclock a 4790K and look how much power it consumes.

It will be higher then you think.

Haswell chips arent low powered at all.

The thing that they have low TDP, does totaly tell no jackshit about how much power the cpu consumes.

Decent vreg design still matter, for stable and reliable overclocks.

yes and no, the voltage regulation is indeed inside the chip.

But the power that has to be delivered to it, still depends on the quality of the vreg design of the mobo.

people think that haswell chips are low power chips, but they arent.

Haswell chips arent low powered at all.

The thing that they have low TDP, does totaly tell no jackshit about how much power the cpu consumes.

it's a proven fact that they overclock all they can even on lower quality motherboards i don't really get why you bring power consumption into the equation here...a 4 phase motherboard with overclocking options built in the uefi is all you need to rock an haswell CPu.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

it's a proven fact that they overclock all they can even on lower quality motherboards i don't really get why you bring power consumption into the equation here...a 4 phase motherboard with overclocking options built in the uefi is all you need to rock an haswell CPu.

i dont talk about how high you can get, i talk about the stabillity and reliabillity.

more powerphases means more stabillity.

That are just facts.

i dont talk about how high you can get, i talk about the stabillity and reliabillity.

That are just facts.

so what? you could get stable at one notch higher on the multiplier? maybe?...what's 100mhz these days...is it worth spending 200$ on a motherboard? i guess it's not...and i'm pretty sure it's not in fact.

whatever.

just put a 4790K on a $80,- piece of junk, overclock the shit out of it.

and just watch how long it takes to self combust.

If you are an overclocker, a more higherend board, is worth every single penny.

But thats my opinnion.

Sintezza, there is a reason why I have you on ignore and its because you are full of misinformation.

The quality, stability, and power of your overclock is derived from the chip, and not the motherboard from Haswell on.  4 is all you need.  You will get the same overclock on a "low end" Z motherboard as a high end Z motherboard.  It comes down to the chip. 

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Sintezza, there is a reason why I have you on ignore and its because you are full of misinformation.

The quality, stability, and power of your overclock is derived from the chip, and not the motherboard from Haswell on.  4 is all you need.  You will get the same overclock on a "low end" Z motherboard as a high end Z motherboard.  It comes down to the chip. 

i have a diffrent opinnion about that.

But anyway, who cares about it?

All that matters here.

4790K vs FX8350.

And i broaght up the 5820K as an alternative.

its upto topic starter to decide if its worth it or not.

In my opinnion its worth it for him, as he stated to do allot of rendering work.

If he can afford it offcourse!

Otherwise there will be nothing wrong with a Z97 setup.

About vreg design of mobo´s and if its worth it or not to buy a higherend Z97 board.

i just have a diffrent opinnion about it.

There is no right or wrong about that matter.

I just would not recommend to trow such an expensive 4790K cpu on cheapass mobo.

If you are tempting to overclock as far as you could get.

Thats just my opinnion. :)

p.s im very glad that you have me on ignore ♥

~Straw

Well yes, it is worth it.

Mainly if you render a lot.

If you post one video a week it doesn't matter but if you post daily like me, it's a big deal.

Right now I have a Phenom II x4 955 and it takes roughly an hour and a half for 10 minutes of footage in 720p/30 FPS ( the raw file is in 1080p.)

With the 4790k the same video would render in 30-40 minutes.

With the 5820k it would be a lot faster ( I don't have any numbers. I don't know anyone with that CPU ).

This way you can render more videos in shorter time-> you have more time to record more footage.

It is worth the extra money.

It's not defunct. It may be older, but it is still a valid socket.  Think before you post.

Let's say Obsolete then with new, emerging technologies on the horizon.

This is what Sin (who made the vrm list) actually measured awhile ago for a 4770K from the CPU 4+4 socket;

c1411aab_yxx.png

This is what my 3930K at stock pulls; http://i.imgur.com/6E3iHAf.jpg

13A*12V= 160W far more than what the average binned 4770K will ever pull. Look at the P9X79 pro in the vrm list, a simple 4 phase, google the overclocking results everyone gets 5GHz out of that board quite easily.

That are just facts.

More stability? Could you elaborate on this? A CPU can't be more stable than stable. It crashes or its stable, nothing more or less or between it.

Reliability? Since you refered to the true phasecount you are meaning the PWM phases, so mosfet/chokes count or quality has no relationship with the PWM controller. You have a 4 phase PWM controller you can bring on 4 mosfets/chokes and nothing more, you can't go from 4 to 5 or 6, only to 8 with a doubler or to 16 with a quadrupler. A Power phase and pwm phase are different, power phase just has a mosfet/choke, using a doubler doubles the choke/mosfet count, you said first doublers are useless so your claim that more power phases mean more reliability/stability contradicts this. There are more power phases but they are meaningless without the extra PWM phases. It's all about the PWM phases and the quality of the mosfets.

Anyways how exactly is a 8 phase PWM controller more reliable than a 4 phase PWM? Oo. They all are for a reason VDR12.5 certified, Intels spec just like the PSU ATX spec we have. The main difference between PWM controllers is ISL & IR two different brands, ISL only makes analog PWM's where as IR only makes digital PWM's. To explain the difference between analog & digital, ill just quickly explain how analog works. So you have the CPU & PWM, in this loop from CPU to PWM and from PWM back to CPU. When the CPU goes back to the PWM it reports the vcore, the PWM adjusts or lower the vcore by x mV or it just doesnt touch it when its the correct vcore. Digital PWM's have algorithms that predict the vcore fluctuations which makes it far more precise. Benefits of digital is just having better monitoring, higher and adjustable switching frequency, better LLC control, OCP & OTP safety protections that can be tweaked etc etc. Downside is that an error can happen although its way too rare, analog is always fast which is a plus. For servers you should be using analog PWM's and for overclocking Digital is prefered.

Digital PWM's are not more reliable than analog PWM's, more phases don't equal more reliability, it will be essential for high power consumption CPU's trying to get the world record but that doesn't equal lifespan/reliability at all.

Oy45V0I.jpg

Red: PWM controller watch closely you'll see IR3563B with a dot in the corner. (8 phase PWM controller)

Yellow: Mosfets (this is the part that gets cooled by the heatsink)

Green: Chokes (obviously isn't cooled, why would you cool copper wires)

Blue: Doubler. For each pair you have that tiny doubler. This part doubles the PWM phases, allowing you to use twice as much mosfets/chokes giving you a 16 physical count (count chokes up) or in other words the marketingscount. Doublers were useful back in the days when a single PWM phase could only carry one voltage, since there were more voltages you needed a 2nd/3rd/4th phase etc. Also theyre useful to spread the heat load over more mosfets, like in this picture if they didn't use a doubler you'd only have 8 mosfets but we have 16 so heat is better spread. Also halves the maximum switching frequency by two eg the max for the IR3563B is 2MHz so its down to 1MHz. If you use a quadrupler its down to 500MHz.

or world record overclocking, if you are cooling the mosfets with lets say LN2, you're better off without doublers to have that higher switching frequency. 

This board is a true 8 phase using doublers for a marketingscount (sometimes called physical count) of 16 phases. Count the chokes up thats the physicalcount.

CPU's that consume more power automatically require better VRM. Anyways I agree, like I showed above a P9X79 being a true 4 phase easily capping a 3930K at 5GHz for plenty of hours in prime95, the only thing that might annoy you is the mosfets overheating just have some active airflow over it and the CPU shouldn't downclock anymore. Happens although to all high power consumption CPU's.

Tbh just give me a 4 phase pwm with proper LLC control, I'll push any chip to its max.