Tips on IT Shop Job

chriscoolzap

Hey, 

I just wanted to see if you guys know of have any helpful tips, information, words of advice and suggestions in working at an IT Shop. Anything would be amazing! Thanks! :)

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Prepare for excruciating amounts of stupidity...that is all.

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

Buy your own tools, carve your name on them, and chain them to your work space like a pen at a bank

Hey, 

I just wanted to see if you guys know of have any helpful tips, information, words of advice and suggestions in working at an IT Shop. Anything would be amazing! Thanks! :)

I worked at a computer shop for a couple of years, so everything I say is based on first hand experience. I had a blast while doing that job, even though it didn't pay amazingly well.

1. You cannot fix stupid, but you should try.

90% of what you will work on, is old hardware and budget laptops, owned by people who are computer illiterate. People do very stupid stuff with their computers, and you will potentially get blamed alot for their inability to use a computer properly, to take care of their own stuff. You need to be able to talk in a way anyone can understand, make people feel like you care, and don't be a nerd to them. 40% of this type of job is actually being able to fix a computer. The rest is customer service.

2. What you think is best, is not always best. Be careful about recommending hardware upgrades etc to customers. Customers, again, have the final say, are generally computer illiterate, and you need to be able to find the balance between what you know is best for them, and what they will be okay with. You cannot recommend a $200 GPU for most customers you will run into. Most customers only spend $350 on black Friday for their crappy dell, and if you start saying they need $400 in parts to "get it up to date" (which by the way, hardly anyone will care about that as long as it plays youtube videos and facebook - they are happy) you will loose a customer to the local big box store to buy another crappy dell.

3. Don't be annoying to your "boss" and "coworkers" by being a know-it-all. 90% of what you learned in college about computers is worthless when it comes to fixing computers as a profession. Your boss and coworkers have a wealth of knowledge that you can ONLY get from experience. This knowledge covers everything from being able to diagnose 50% of problems within a minute of hearing the symptoms, knowing how to pull apart a particular model of laptop, to knowing how best to communicate to certain "problem customers". Again, it's only 40% ability to fix a computer, the rest is customer service anyway.

4. Recognize there is a business. It's very easy to give free advice, fix stuff at the front counter, spend 30m on the phone with someone, just out of the goodness of your heart. Every business is different, but you do have a business to fund, and you need to make money for that business.

5. Time is a factor. Spending 3 days to fix a computer like you normally would for a relative will not fly in most shops. 24 hrs is what we had from the time we took it off the waiting line before we had a diagnostic and options for the customer. In most cases it was within minutes. You diagnose and quote prices and fixes BEFORE you do most of the fixing (sometimes you need to fix some things before you can know for sure what the problem is). GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND.

6. Multitasking is sometimes crucial. I would work on 4-6 computers at the same time, based on the involvement needed. Virus removals are pretty straightforward and I can have scans and fixes running at the same time I was replacing a broken screen or doing a data recovery or building a computer.

7. Virus removals, Computer tune ups (it's slow, can you make it faster?), broken screens/keyboards (lots of angry people in this world...). This will take up 95% of your work. The rest is bizarre random stuff (these are the best).

8. Have a strong stomach. Open up a 10 year old computer owned by a chain smoker, and you will want to puke. Open up a laptop and see the keyboard, you will also want to puke.

9. People will cry because of you, and people will yell at you. Baby pictures are really important - you will realise this when you recover the lost files from a broken external drive, or when you have to call a lady and tell her they are gone forever. Just be ready for the customer service stuff.

10. Have fun! Like I said, I had a blast with that job, and 3 years later I still keep in touch with my coworkers to play video games, hang out, etc.

Hope this helps!

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Prepare for excruciating amounts of stupidity...that is all.

^this....

Try to use your own software. Keep all your belongings close and be prepared to be nice to the most annoying people you'll ever meet.

A CompTia A+ cert helps when applying, don't claim you know everything, be ready to learn shortcuts.

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

Oh forgot to mention bring latex gloves or something some computers are downright putrid. Opened a old Pentium machine up once and there was so much dust and dead bugs... You couldn't even see the motherboard... Had a dead rat in one before too....

Like watching Anime? Consider joining the unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society~ ^.^

I worked at a computer shop for a couple of years, so everything I say is based on first hand experience. I had a blast while doing that job, even though it didn't pay amazingly well.

<snip>

Hope this helps!

Thank you so much for your advice. 

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

You have to learn how to, well, dumb things down a little. For example, if you're talking to a client that isn't as knowledgeable with IT, you can't really use the terminology you usually would. 

Sounds simple, but is quite difficult if you don't already have experience in doing so. 

Oh forgot to mention bring latex gloves or something some computers are downright putrid. Opened a old Pentium machine up once and there was so much dust and dead bugs... You couldn't even see the motherboard... Had a dead rat in one before too....

Don't use latex gloves, because they are like ballons and will build up static quick. Just buy a cheap box of vinyl gloves is what I would recommend.

Buy your own tools, carve your name on them, and chain them to your work space like a pen at a bank

^ These, also get some surgical masks, walmart has some thin ones for just a few dollars for a pack of 20, because you will be breathing copious amounts of dust. Keep one in your pocket/purse Also if you have long hair/care about your hair bring a large scarf to put over it. Because by the end of your day, your hair will look a dusty rats nest. And a good multipoint screwdriver will be worth its weight in gold, cause 9/10 the shop owner has a sucky worn out one.