Need Help

Bulldog5069

Hey guys i'm planning a system build and I have a hard drive with windows 7 in my current pc, and i was wondering would in it work in my new system at all. Any help and suggestions would be great.

New System

Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz

Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid

Biostar TZ68K+ ATX LGA1155

Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866

EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB

Corsair Vengeance C70 (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Rosewill 630W ATX12V / EPS12V

Looks good, though you might consider upgrading to a GTX 660 Ti for a decent performance increase.

Otherwise, yeah, your current HDD will work fine, though you should also consider an SSD as a boot drive.

Looks good, although you should probably get a Z77 board if possible. On a Z68 board you may have to flash the BIOS to get it to work with an Ivy Bridge CPU. If you can fit a Corsair or SeaSonic PSU in your budget then do so, Rosewills are not the best quality, though it depends on the series.

Looks good' date=' although you should probably get a Z77 board if possible. On a Z68 board you may have to flash the BIOS to get it to work with an Ivy Bridge CPU. If you can fit a Corsair or SeaSonic PSU in your budget then do so, Rosewills are not the best quality, though it depends on the series.[/quote']

Ditto, sorry I didn't notice you'd picked Z68 when I initially looked.

If you need to cut down to 500W, that would still be sufficient as long as it's 80+ certified.

Personally I wouldn't be going with that cooler. You'll get better value (cooling per dollar spent) with something like a CM 212 Plus - just because the H60 is a liquid cooler, doesn't meant it's brilliant

Ok will keep all the information in mind and i'll be making some changes thanks again for all the help

Yeah, as windspeed says, you can go for a 212+ or 212 Evo and use the money you save on something like a solid-state drive ;P

Question - when you say will the hard drive from old system work in new - do you mean, unplug from old, plug into new and have Windows 7 just work? Without a re-install? Probably not, depending on your old system. New chipset, new CPU - everything could be different. Even Win7 would kack...

Would the drive work just to plug in and do a fresh install - most likely, as long as it isn't an IDE drive. :)

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

ok thanks i don't have the disc of windows 7 tho i got my parents old pc with windows 7 hard drive is there a way i could do a fresh install with out the disc?

When I took my HDD out of my laptop and put it in my tower windows 7 worked fine. Only problem was that it is an OEM version so it kept telling me that my copy wasn't legit. From what I have head all you gotta do is call MS and they'll get you a new key. So is that 7 an OEM or retail? If you can get an SSD with 200 something gigs they have faster speeds for some reason, but even if you get the lower ones it blows HDDs away. Oh and I second the evo its a beast for so cheap.

When I took my HDD out of my laptop and put it in my tower windows 7 worked fine. Only problem was that it is an OEM version so it kept telling me that my copy wasn't legit. From what I have head all you gotta do is call MS and they'll get you a new key. So is that 7 an OEM or retail? If you can get an SSD with 200 something gigs they have faster speeds for some reason, but even if you get the lower ones it blows HDDs away. Oh and I second the evo its a beast for so cheap.
ok thank you, and yea i already started looking for some SSDs. i am going to get the evo instead.

You can get a pirated W7 copy and just use the genuine product key from your old PC instead of a fake one, if you have the product key. If it was an OEM computer (from Dell etc.) then it will have a microsoft authentication sticker somewhere on it with the product key.

You can get a pirated W7 copy and just use the genuine product key from your old PC instead of a fake one, if you have the product key. If it was an OEM computer (from Dell etc.) then it will have a microsoft authentication sticker somewhere on it with the product key.
Ok awesome thank you

You can get a pirated W7 copy and just use the genuine product key from your old PC instead of a fake one' date=' if you have the product key. If it was an OEM computer (from Dell etc.) then it will have a microsoft authentication sticker somewhere on it with the product key.[/quote']

Can you clarify what you mean by pirated, because to an average person pirated means get an illegal copy of it.

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.

To my knowledge Microsoft doesn't have a windows download on their site, but I haven't checked in a long time. I just meant to download a copy of it to create a Windows install disc since he doesn't have one, he would have to download it from online, and this would only be found in places that offer pirated software, however he won't be using it for that. He can find a copy of Windows there but rather than use their fake key generator tools (which would be illegal) he can just use his genuine Windows key on it. Feel free to remove my posts if the content is too close to questionable legality.

That's all I needed out of that, Thanks for clarifying :).

[9:01:47 PM] Slick: And the award for life time acheivement in the field of "maker of the least amount of sense" goes to Kilmer.