Should I use a 32 inch TV as my monitor?

DeadEyeKozi

I use a 47 inch tv. 

I sit about 4 feet from it.  As far as hurting your eyes or headaches go , if your screen is too bright YES you will get headaches ! , brought on from straining your eyes constantly with a very bright screen, generally myself and my gf both get headaches if the screen brightness and contrast is turned up too high, having the white balance set to warmer tones helps a lot. have two presets, one with deep blacks and vibrant colours for watching movies or playing games, and one with lower contrast and warmer whites for general internet use, otherwise the pure white screen will burn right into your eyes. I wouldn't suggest getting one if you're going to sit a foot away. 

I bought my tv years ago when 1080p was just becoming a thing, but it was fairly high end so it's still going strong. heats up the room like a mofo too :) 

I use a 47 inch tv. 

I sit about 4 feet from it.  As far as hurting your eyes or headaches go , if your screen is too bright YES you will get headaches ! , brought on from straining your eyes constantly with a very bright screen, generally myself and my gf both get headaches if the screen brightness and contrast is turned up too high, having the white balance set to warmer tones helps a lot. have two presets, one with deep blacks and vibrant colours for watching movies or playing games, and one with lower contrast and warmer whites for general internet use, otherwise the pure white screen will burn right into your eyes. I wouldn't suggest getting one if you're going to sit a foot away. 

I bought my tv years ago when 1080p was just becoming a thing, but it was fairly high end so it's still going strong. heats up the room like a mofo too :)

Thanks for the advice, I already have my 32 Inch TV so I was wondering If i should purchase a monitor

Spoiler

CPU: I7-4790k CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X61 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97X-Gaming 3 

Ram: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 1866 16GB, (2x8GB) GPU: Gigabyte Geforce G1 Gaming 980Ti 

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 (Black/Red) Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD, Seagate Barracude 7200RPM 3TB 

PSU: Seasonic 750W 80+ Gold

Thanks for the advice, I already have my 32 Inch TV so I was wondering If i should purchase a monitor

in that case no, just use your TV . If you decide after a month its not for you then you can still buy a monitor later on. :)

Basically this. Always avoid using a televisions when possible. You will notice it is fuzzy instantly & it is bad for your eyes.

Screen size isn't important, the important factor is resolution. If you are planning on getting a 1920x1080 (1080p) monitor do not get anything over 24 inches because that is the point in which the picture quality starts to degrade. a 32 in, 24 in, 21.5in 1080p monitor will have the same amount of total pixels. However, there is more pixels per inch the small screen size you go. As stated, over 24 is bad. If you want anything large than that you are looking at a 1440p monitor which is 27 inches. You can find 1080p monitors for as little as 100-130$

That is simply not true. TV's does not look worse than monitors. Yeah maybe if you compare a 24" vs a 50" and sitting at the same distance, but if the 50" tv takes up as much of your field of view as the monitor would, then it will look as good. I've tested this. They looked equally as pixelated at 1080p. I sat very close to the 50 but not as close as I would in front of the monitor.

That 1080p looks bad over 24" is a myth. You're obviously sitting as close to the screen as you want, if you have a smaller screen, you sit close. I'm so sick of hearing this all the time already.

Also, why would it be bad for your eyes? Yeah if you sit extremely close to it but if it takes up as much of your FoV as the monitor would, then it's no issue.

I used a 32inch1080p tv as a monitor for a few years and it works fine(obviously a 24 inch 1080p monitor looks better)I use monitors now and would def recommend a monitor but if you just want to use a tv it'll work fine.just make sure you go into the settings and findeither the pc or game mode after that go into the advanced settings and turn off any fancy picture processing your tv wants to do(this is what's going to ruin the experience)after that you goof(prob have to color calibrate it)

I wouldn't recommend using it bro, first of all as mentioned above, the low pixel density... Second of all it WILL hurt your eyes, and if not, then it will damage them without you noticing until a while later... Other than that, why not? :P

I used my 32" Samsung TV at 1080p for a few months as my main monitor, on my desk up close. And while it was great in-game, it was horrible on anything else, i'd often find my self reading sites on my 21" secondary monitor. 

I wouldn't recommend using it bro, first of all as mentioned above, the low pixel density... Second of all it WILL hurt your eyes, and if not, then it will damage them without you noticing until a while later... Other than that, why not? :P

Hmm.. care to cite your sources on the "it will damage your eyes" part?  It's literally no different than looking at a monitor.

[spoiler=Work Computer (DAW)]

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower | CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core  - Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (OS) + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (Samples) | PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660W | GPU: PNY NVIDIA Quadro 410 512MB | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) | Display: Acer B286HK 28" UHD Monitor | MIDI Input: M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro MIDI Keyboard | Audio Interface: Steinberg UR22 | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Studio Reference Monitors | Headphones: Sony MDR-7506

[spoiler=Play Computer]

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 | RAM: Kingston Fury White/Black Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Reference) | PSU: SeaSonic G-Series SSR-550M 550W | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit)

Take your time, feel it yourself. If you find it comfortable then why spend more money?

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm.. care to cite your sources on the "it will damage your eyes" part?  It's literally no different than looking at a monitor.

Monitors do as well.... But because of the low pixel density on such a large screen directly in front of your eyes, it would damage it more effectively... Especially since televisions were made to be looked at from a distance, and not close up.

Monitors do as well.... But because of the low pixel density on such a large screen directly in front of your eyes, it would damage it more effectively... Especially since televisions were made to be looked at from a distance, and not close up.

Is this something that can be proven or something you "feel" is true?

[spoiler=Work Computer (DAW)]

Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower | CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K 3.4GHz 6-Core  - Corsair H100i | Motherboard: Asus X79 Deluxe ATX LGA2011 | RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD (OS) + Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD (Samples) | PSU: SeaSonic Platinum SS-660XP2 660W | GPU: PNY NVIDIA Quadro 410 512MB | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit) | Display: Acer B286HK 28" UHD Monitor | MIDI Input: M-Audio Axiom 61 Pro MIDI Keyboard | Audio Interface: Steinberg UR22 | Speakers: M-Audio BX5a Studio Reference Monitors | Headphones: Sony MDR-7506

[spoiler=Play Computer]

Case: NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower | CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core - Noctua NH-U12S | Motherboard: Asus MAXIMUS VII FORMULA ATX LGA1150 | RAM: Kingston Fury White/Black Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB SSD | GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 980 4GB (Reference) | PSU: SeaSonic G-Series SSR-550M 550W | OS: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro (64-bit)

I used my 40" Sony Bravia for years as a monitor and never ahd a problem with my peepers or fuzziness... even text chat boxes in WoW were all fine. The only issue was my personal response time and my eyes looking further away to see incoming fire/mobs/ etc. 

On the bright side I use a 23" LED monitor now and cannot see as much as I did on the tv... Above and all around. Not much camera adjusting on the 40"