EVGA GTX 780 ACX vs 780 SC

Go to solution Solved by SteepGnomeKing,

You get to spend more money for a box that has the letters SC on it.

Unless you are never ever ever going to overclock a card than sure you can get a SC card and get a little bit more performance. But otherwise no it isn't worth it. You can just overclock that standard card to the same or more of a clock speed.

Is there any really benefit in getting EVGA's SuperClocked version of their cards? I want to get the ACX GTX 780 for my new build, but is it even worth going for the SuperClocked vs non-SuperClocked?

Here's both cards:

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2782-KR

http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=03G-P4-2784-KR

Unless you are never ever ever going to overclock a card than sure you can get a SC card and get a little bit more performance. But otherwise no it isn't worth it. You can just overclock that standard card to the same or more of a clock speed.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

That's what I thought. Even though the price is within margin of error, gotta save as much as you can you know :) Anyways thanks. I guess I'm going non-SC. I'm going to OC it far beyond the SC model.

Those cards look nice. Temps on them should be good.

Sager NP9370EM - I7 3630QM - 680m 1045Mhz - 8gb 1600mhz ram - 240gb msata 750gb hdd

Those cards look nice. Temps on them should be good.

Average 15 degrees cooler than reference. Performance over looks any day. Besides, they look amazing anyways ;)

[omlquote name=SteepGnomeKing" post="301180" timestamp="1370487922]You get to spend more money for a box that has the letters SC on it.

I am sorry but that Is simply NOT true!!! The part of the factory overclock is true, but in the case of the evga 780 SC with the ACX cooler, you are so wrong. The ACX cooler employs a revolutionary design that allows evga to overclock it at such a level, it beats the Titan. Now your saying, "Well, I could overclock it at the same level and get identical performance," and your right; it just wouldn't be at the low temperatures that are shown on the EVGA variant. It is 10$ more than stock price and that Is a STEAL!!!

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX SC Video Card:

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/1.html

I hope I was of some help!

- winny3141 :D

System Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Six-core CPU, AMD Radeon HD 6970 2 GB GDDR5 16X PCIe Video Card, MSI 890FXA-GD70 Motherboard, Kingston Hyper-X 1600 MHz RAM, ADATA 128 GB MLC SSD, 2 TB HDD, Astec Dual 120 mm closed Liquid cooling Loop, Cooler Master 800W Silent Pro Gold (80 Plus Gold Certified) PSU, Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Gaming Keyboard (Love me my Cherry MX Blue Switches), a Razer Taipan Gaming Mouse (8200 dpi 4G sensor FTW!), Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

The real questions:

1) Are you going to do SLi? (I am so I'm sticking with the blower fan design SC as I want hot air out of my case)

2) Are you OK with having the hot air expelled from the GPU in your case at the cost of having lower GPU temperatures and increased ambient temperatures? 

In Canada, NCIX and TigerDirect increased the price of the ACX by a whopping 71$+tax. Why? Because people want it and they will still buy it. This turned me off completely so I am sticking with the stock cooler. 

the lightning from MSi is launching soon (if not already). I would wait for that

Desktop:  MSi GTX 680 Lightning - MSi Mpower Z77- i7 3770k - Asus Xonar DGX  - 16Gb Ares Ram - GX 750w PSU

Laptop: MSi GE 60 - GTX 765m - i74700MQ - 8gb ram

[omlquote name=SteepGnomeKing" post="301180" timestamp="1370487922]You get to spend more money for a box that has the letters SC on it.

I am sorry but that Is simply NOT true!!! The part of the factory overclock is true, but in the case of the evga 780 SC with the ACX cooler, you are so wrong. The ACX cooler employs a revolutionary design that allows evga to overclock it at such a level, it beats the Titan. Now your saying, "Well, I could overclock it at the same level and get identical performance," and your right; it just wouldn't be at the low temperatures that are shown on the EVGA variant. It is 10$ more than stock price and that Is a STEAL!!!

EVGA GeForce GTX 780 ACX SC Video Card:

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/reviews/EVGA/GTX_780_SC_ACX_Cooler/1.html

I hope I was of some help!

- winny3141 :D

Whats the difference between the same card with the same cooler but one is normal and the other is a Super Clock. Your pointing out what the cooler can do. The normal card from evga has the same cooler as the SC card. If you buy a super clock and I get the other one I can clock my card to what yours is and the perform the exact same and have the same temps because the cooler is the same.  If he was comparing a reference card vs a evga sc card for a $10 difference than yea spend the extra $10 for the SC because of the cooler not the clock speed. 

This is the exact same card http://www.evga.com/...=03G-P4-2782-KR as this is http://www.evga.com/...=03G-P4-2784-KR. Exact same cooler. One has a higher clock speed. But since they have the exact same cooler it makes no difference.

I'm not saying the reference card I'm saying the standard EVGA card. I don't think he should get a reference card because the temperature is much higher.

I was also tempted by the ACX cooler but didn't get it because I was going SLI and didn't want the hot air in my case. If you don't mind then the ACX cooler is worth a bit extra IMO.

Get the ACX. It is overclocked higher than the normal superclocked card and there is more overhead to overclock even more with the beefy ACX cooler.

Superclocked edition GPUs tend to overclock better because they are selected by the manufacure and tested for stability.

My personally got the GTX 780 SC refrenece cooler just because it's more sexy and it overclock really like a beast.benchyc.jpg

Case)- NZXT Switch 810 Matte Black    ***    Lighting)- NZXT Sleeved 24 LED Lighting    ***    CPU Cooler)- NZXT Kraken X60    ***    RAM)- Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHZ    ***    PSU)- Corsair GS800 800W    ***    Keyboard)- Corsair K95 Mechanical CherryMX Red Keyboard    ***    CPU)- Intel Core I5 2500K Overclocked to 4.9GHZ    ***    GPU)- EVGA GTX 780 SC 3GB    ***    Mouse)- Razer Imperator 2012    ***                                   Sound Card)- Creative Sound Blaster Z    ***    Motherboard)- Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H    ***    Monitor)- BenQ 24" XL2420TX 3D Vision 2 Ready    ***    Mousepad)- Mionix Saragas 900