Mechanical Keyboards (CherryMX Blue v. Red)

TasteOfTheTech

Hello everyone,

So, I've been pondering on this subject for a couple of months now, mainly deciding whether or not I should go with the Steath or Clicky version of Razer's BlackWidow, however I am open to any other keyboard options (Corsaid, Logitech, etc). The problem I am having is deciding which one I should get. I have already tried the Razer Blackwidow Clicky/Green Switches and I LOVE the feel of Razer's Green Switches/MX Blues. The only problem with the green switches (and really any keyboard using MX Blues) is that, as most of you already know, they make A LOT of sound, which I can't really have in my setting. I went to the local electronics store today to try out Razer's Silent keyboard and, to my disappointment, they felt mushy (I hate the feel of linear keyboards, but thought I'd give the silent keys a try).

I've been using a membrane keyboard for awhile now and would like to get off of it as soon as possible because I love the feel of mechanical keyboards, but the problem above is what has been holding me back. My question is: is there any other option for me? I have never tried MX Browns, so that may be an option, but they sound heavy, and I like the feel of light switches. Would a better membrane keyboard be an option (such as the Steelseries Apex or Deathstalker)?

Thanks! :)

~TasteOfTheTech

brown switches = best of blue without noise

~New~  BoomBerryPi project !  ~New~

new build log : http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/533392-build-log-the-scrap-simulator-x/?p=7078757 (5 screen flight sim for 620$ CAD)LTT Web Challenge is back ! go here  :  http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/448184-ltt-web-challenge-3-v21/#entry601004

If you like the feel of blues, but don't want the clicky sound, browns are the best option for switches. 

brown switches = best of blue without noise

^agree 100%

'Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds.'

Logitech G710+ 

that keyboard feels awful to me. I can't understand why so many people like it.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

As everyone has already mentioned, Browns are basically silent blues. And they feel nothing like the Razer versions, with more of a pronounced click and resistance.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

that keyboard feels awful to me. I can't understand why so many people like it.

It is a matter of opinion, to me it is the best keyboard i have ever used.

Hello everyone,

So, I've been pondering on this subject for a couple of months now, mainly deciding whether or not I should go with the Steath or Clicky version of Razer's BlackWidow, however I am open to any other keyboard options (Corsaid, Logitech, etc). The problem I am having is deciding which one I should get. I have already tried the Razer Blackwidow Clicky/Green Switches and I LOVE the feel of Razer's Green Switches/MX Blues. The only problem with the green switches (and really any keyboard using MX Blues) is that, as most of you already know, they make A LOT of sound, which I can't really have in my setting. I went to the local electronics store today to try out Razer's Silent keyboard and, to my disappointment, they felt mushy (I hate the feel of linear keyboards, but thought I'd give the silent keys a try).

I've been using a membrane keyboard for awhile now and would like to get off of it as soon as possible because I love the feel of mechanical keyboards, but the problem above is what has been holding me back. My question is: is there any other option for me? I have never tried MX Browns, so that may be an option, but they sound heavy, and I like the feel of light switches. Would a better membrane keyboard be an option (such as the Steelseries Apex or Deathstalker)?

Thanks! :)

~TasteOfTheTech

Buy this: http://www.amazon.com/Max-Keyboard-Keycap-Cherry-Sampler/dp/B00E71W4O8

Feel for yourself. It's 100% personal preference. 

Reds are not mushy, and just dont have any actuation click. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Logitech G710+

I actually did try this while I was at the store. I personally didn't like the feel of it since I don't like linear mechanical keyboards (like the Razer stealth, it felt mushy to me), but that's just my preference.

---

Thanks everyone for the replies! Sure helped quite a bit! :)

Do you guys know of any good brown switch keyboards (preferably backlit because I type a lot in the dark). I've been looking at the Cooler Master Quickfire TK, and that may be an option.

Thanks again :)

I actually did try this while I was at the store. I personally didn't like the feel of it since I don't like linear mechanical keyboards (like the Razer stealth, it felt mushy to me), but that's just my preference.

---

Thanks everyone for the replies! Sure helped quite a bit! :)

Do you guys know of any good brown switch keyboards (preferably backlit because I type a lot in the dark). I've been looking at the Cooler Master Quickfire TK, and that may be an option.

Thanks again :)

The G710+ actually isn't linear and uses brown keys (so i don't know which one you tried lol). The slight mushiness when bottoming out the keys comes from dampening rings pre-installed which are removable anyway

The G710+ actually isn't linear and uses brown keys (so i don't know which one you tried lol). The slight mushiness when bottoming out the keys comes from dampening rings pre-installed which are removable anyway

I tried the one with the red switches, not the brown.

The browns are supposed to be the perfect middle ground between blue and reds but their tactile feedback is not even close ):

I have a keyboard with blues and another with browns, and there's really no comparison to be honest. Cherry MX Clears are supposed to be closer to the feeling of blues but without the noise but they're slightly harder to find.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |

Cherry mx green master race

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []