Mixing Different Memory Kits?

Go to solution Solved by Quaker,

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 kit,

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9,

Notice the similarity in these part numbers. They use virtually identical RAM chips. So they should work very well together.

Even if they weren't identical, most motherboards and BIOSes can handle RAMs with some differences. They usually just end up running at the slowest spec. For example, if you were to have some DDR3-1333s and add some DDR3-1600s, all the RAM would end up running at DDR3-1333 speed.

If all the RAM is DDR3-1600, but they differ only in CAS timing, etc, then the RAM will run at the slowest timings. (As long as the variance is not too great, or the slower timings are compatible with the faster RAM.)

Hello,

I wanted to know, is it possible/advisable to mix different desktop memory kits together?

For example, right now I have the Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 kit, with 2 4GB dimms at 1600MHz. Now I want to upgrade to a 16GB kit, probably the Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9, with 2 8GB 1600MHz dimms.

I also have an Asus P7-P55 DE-PRO motherboard.

So, I wanted to know, if I got the new kit, could I possibly install the new dimms along side my old ones to have a 20GB configuration? Or would that be inadvisable? I know typically you want to match kits if you're doubling them up, but if this would work, it would be pretty sweet.

Thanks!

plug both kits in, but look for the dual channel slots on your mainboard. It could run whitout problems, but it also cannot run and you will see a bluescreen or the system isn't stable. Try it out, you can't destroy anything.

sysProfile

FEEL FREE TO CLICK ABOVE

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 kit,

Corsair CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9,

Notice the similarity in these part numbers. They use virtually identical RAM chips. So they should work very well together.

Even if they weren't identical, most motherboards and BIOSes can handle RAMs with some differences. They usually just end up running at the slowest spec. For example, if you were to have some DDR3-1333s and add some DDR3-1600s, all the RAM would end up running at DDR3-1333 speed.

If all the RAM is DDR3-1600, but they differ only in CAS timing, etc, then the RAM will run at the slowest timings. (As long as the variance is not too great, or the slower timings are compatible with the faster RAM.)

A sieve may not hold water, but it will hold another sieve.

i5-6600, 16Gigs, ITX Corsair 250D, R9 390, 120Gig M.2 boot, 500Gig SATA SSD, no HDD