Buying a laptop

Diarmuid

I'm looking at the Dell XPS 13 L321x ultrabook, I can get it as left over stock from dell for €775.
Specs:
Intel Core i7 2637M, (sandy bridge)
256GB SSD, 
4GB Ram
Windows 7 Home premium

I'm not going to be gaming, I have a gaming computer. I'm going to be browsing the web, microsoft office, Programming, small video editing will render on desktop. 

I would like to know if I buy it know will I need to replace it sooner, and would it be cheaper in the long run just to get a Haswell XPS 13 (about €500 more) or will this keep going for a good while?

Thanks

Well Haswell is really efficient, more so compared to previous iteration of core processors. If you will be carrying this laptop around to say school and such it would be a bit wise in my opinion to get a Haswell based system. 

Obviously if you can stretch it and think "long-term," go with a Haswell system if you can.

It seems rather expensive. You could go with an Ivy Bridge pc for both better performance and better battery life. Where in Europe are you located?, just so we can try and find the best price. And is it important it is an Ultrabook?

Edit: Im sorry the price got somewhat lost in translation. The price seems fair enough

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

It seems rather expensive. You could go with an Ivy Bridge pc for both better performance and better battery life. Where in Europe are you located?, just so we can try and find the best price. And is it important it is an Ultrabook?

Edit: Im sorry the price got somewhat lost in translation. The price seems fair enough

I live in Ireland. The build quality and the price is what I liked about it. Dell won't be upgrading their mobile processors to Haswell until at least next January. So It's only really between the sandy bridge and Ivy bridge and there is a €600 difference.

I live in Ireland. The build quality and the price is what I liked about it. Dell won't be upgrading their mobile processors to Haswell until at least next January. So It's only really between the sandy bridge and Ivy bridge and there is a €600 difference.

For a 600€ diffrrence I don't see the need to upgrade to Ivy Bridge, but have you tried looking into something like an Acer Aspire S3 or an Asus Zenbook? Both of these have an excellent build quality, comes with Ivy Bridge CPUs and at a lower cost.

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

Could also look into Lenovo's Ideapad Yoga or Thinkpad Helix. Both come with Ivy Bridge (Yoga is under $1000 or 770 EUR, Helix is pricier; both are ultrabook convertible tablets), Haswell shouldn't be too far behind as they generally announce a new generation soon after Intel unveils the new generation of CPUs. Lenovo ships globally, so double check the price in your region (Lenovo.co.uk, or choose your country). Amazon tends to have them for decent prices on co.uk.

Interested in Linux, SteamOS and Open-source applications? Go here

Gaming Rig - CPU: i5 3570k @ Stock | GPU: EVGA Geforce 560Ti 448 Core Classified Ultra | RAM: Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 8GB DDR3 1600 | SSD: Crucial M4 128GB | HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB WD Caviar Black, 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Case: Antec Lanboy Air | KB: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue | Mouse: Corsair Vengeance M95 | Headset: Steelseries Siberia V2

Ok after seeing this there is definitely better options out there than the dell. The Lenovo Thinkpad Carbon X1 is looks quite good