Nvidia SHIELD tablet or iPad mini 2?

Go to solution Solved by FloRolf,

I'd actually say Nexus9. I'm using the Shield Tab and it's very nice.

It has some flaws though, for example it isnt very well optimized (yet) with the Tegra chip. It stutters quite often. that should change with the Nexus 9 release though (also uses K1).

Hi, guys,

I'm a student, and I have been think about buying a tablet for myself lately. After looking though the prices and specs, my options narrowed down to 32 GB Nvidia SHIELD tablet LTE and 32 GB iPad mini 2 LTE.

Just to be clear, I'm not a gamer at all, I put Nvidia Shield tablet against iPad mini 2 simply because it's budget price, high performance and near stock android experience, I'm just buying a tablet for general uses as a student. Nvidia's hardware(Tegra K1 chip, pretty much) and it's price, plus, it's very likely to receive fast Android updates since it uses a near stock android. Some of the hardware features are great, too: front facing speakers, 5MP front and rear cameras, and a SD SLOT! Although I think android has been improving rapidly, which is amazing and I love that, but my old Android experiences kept haunting me about the later lags, which I am very afraid of: I will most likely keep use this tablet for about at least 4 years. Since Nvidia is very proactive about software updates, I'm really hoping for the update speed like a Nexus, but to my other concern, this ISN'T a Nexus, the future of this new product line is uncertain, what if, just what if Nvidia stops caring about it 1 or 2 years later? It's a gaming tablet, and Nvidia isn't a mobile device manufacturer after all. I also have a little bit concern about the build quality since a few users got their SHIELD's edges cracked because of the processor's heat. 

Now to the iPad mini 2. Honestly, it wasn't even on the list before the price cut right after the Apple's new releases, mainly because I'm not an Apple fan at all, I prefer Android, a lot better! Yet I can not deny that Apple has advantages of it's own, the high build quality, the efficiency of it's hardware, promising software updates, they all just seem as great, especially the battery, comparing to the Nvidia SHIELD, it's a big gap. About the display, although it's not that much better, but it's still greater at reading and web browsing. OK, I just wrote down pretty much all the Apple advantages I could ever think of, now the downside. First of all, the price, it's still $100 more expensive than the SHIELD even after the price cut, that's a BIG difference to me. And, iOS, not a fan of it, it runs smooth, sure; it saves battery, sure; it looks so fab, sure. But it's much less fun to play with and open than Android, and it's not as convenient. Although iOS can keep running smooth for a long time, but let's face it, Apple doesn't give much sh*t about the old customers, besides the instability, those fast software updates aren't made for the older models all that much, it just lags... Plus, Apple loves making new devices, mini 2 is probably an old junk to Apple already. The gap between the A7 and A8 concerns me that the later A8 or future A9 oriented iOS might not work so well on the A7 equipped devices. So much for the software, there are problems with the hardware, too. SHIELD is one of those tablets with beloved micro SD slots and iPad obviously isn't one of them. 32 GB is all I can afford, but it still doesn't seem to be enough for a tablet. Even iPad mini 2 uses iOS,Nvidia's 2.2 GHz Tegra K1 with 2GB of RAM is clearly better than the 1.4 GHz A7 with 1GB. Although I don't care that much, but 1.2 MP front camera and the bottom speaker are just not so great...

Whoo, there, I said it all(probably), most of you guys might even know better than be already but I just felt like it's better to put it out anyway. This is a really hard decision for me, so I come to you guys, looking for helps, and I will most likely go by the result of this discussion. I appreciate it a lot!

Thanks!

It has some flaws though, for example it isnt very well optimized (yet) with the Tegra chip. It stutters quite often. that should change with the Nexus 9 release though (also uses K1).

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

of those two I would get the Shield, but you can also get the nexus 9

Planned I Hope Someday I Do First Build: CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k CPU Cooler: CM Hyper 212 EVO Mobo: MSI X99S SLI PLUS RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4-2133Mhz Storage: Corsair Force LS 240GB SSD & 2TB WD Green Graphics Card: ASUS GTX 970 4GB Turbo Case: NZXT S340 White PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit OEM Monitor: AOC i2267Fw 60Hz 22" Monitor

the tegra k1 is better than any apple Ax chip so if you want it go for it

CA-RIP, Cz up hoes down, bang these hoes out with my rounds.

I'd definitely go with the SHIELD Tablet. The only thing I liked about the iPad Mini was the better aspect ratio for productivity and web browsing, but now the Nexus 9 exists with the same 4:3 aspect ratio, if that's what you're going for.

"Rawr XD"

Galaxy Tab S or nothing but....

I'll probably go with the shield..

#SAMSUNG  "provided us 4 1tb ssds so we could run the whole site off solid state." - LinusTech

#GALAXY

#ATIV

-snip-

Shield Tab. Android has come a long way and its really good now. The iPad Mini is meh IMO. Its not that fast since the A7 barely good enough and it has too many limitations(thanks Apple).

I'd definitely go with the SHIELD Tablet. The only thing I liked about the iPad Mini was the better aspect ratio for productivity and web browsing, but now the Nexus 9 exists with the same 4:3 aspect ratio, if that's what you're going for.

Well, as a matter of fact, Nexus line was the first thing came to my mind when I decided to buy for a tablet, so I waited, then Nexus 9 turned out to be a rich man's toy, the 32GB LTE version is way, way out of my price range.

dis

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

So are you getting the Nexus 9 as well?

So are you getting the Nexus 9 as well?

no why would i? :D It's basically a Shield Tab just bigger and completely stock android.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

no why would i? :D It's basically a Shield Tab just bigger and completely stock android.

dis

Shield Tab. Android has come a long way and its really good now. The iPad Mini is meh IMO. Its not that fast since the A7 barely good enough and it has too many limitations(thanks Apple).

Galaxy Tab S or nothing but....

I'll probably go with the shield..

the tegra k1 is better than any apple Ax chip so if you want it go for it

Yep, I'm going for the SHIELD, thank you all very much!