[Discussion]i think we ought to (re)define what is very-taxing to systems

1832vin

i see many (or rather like most) people say that video editing is taxing, but i have to disagree to that, and i would like to show my ratings and the reasoning for it.

in order of increase taxing(ness)

easy-normal

word, excel

internet video watching

watching video (up to 4k)

normal to taxing

video editing

gaming

intense

ray tracing

physics simulations

SFX

ray trace movie

this is my order of the list, the easy to normal is anything that never peaks in 100% of either processors.

then normal to taxing is anything that occasionally peaks at 100% usage, or peaks but for a short durentation

and then the intense taxing is anything that runs always at 100% and for an extended period of time.

i really have to disagree that video editing is anything close to intense, because what i think, is that anything that can be ran on a normal laptop is not taxing to computers, considering that there is heat output, input power, performance, etc.. etc..

and i dare you to try to render a ray traced photo, not even a movie on a laptop, it takes FOREVER..... like at least 6 months for a good quality on a laptop. and about 12 hours on a computer with 4 titan blacks,

that's why Disney needs super computers

if you disagree, feel free to tell me your reason, i'm intrested

i think that "taxing" is what is hard to accomplish in an acceptable period of time

so, ray tracing is taxing because generally it takes forever and a lot of tedious calculations

but video editing is taxing too, because it needs to do less stuff, but it needs to do it in much much less time

you can wait a day to render a raytraced photo because it's generally acceptable in the kind of workflow it's used in, but you can't wait 5 seconds for premiere to make a preview of a frame (working on it would be very irritating), or 12 hours for it to render your chubby bunny challenge video

it's all about how much time it takes, and how much you're disposed to wait

excel is not taxing because any "modern" computer can compute a spreadsheet in a moment (acceptable, we don't feel like we need any better)

video editing is taxing because it takes hours to render and professionals would probably like it to be much, much faster

it's all about how much time it takes, and how much you're disposed to wait

fair points made, and i agree upon some points,
but my point, which i didn't actually mention (>.< mistake), is not how long it takes, but how much % of your processor that it requires
my (equation) is (% used * minutes/ (quantity/quality of result)
so if you was doing a video edit, it would normally be around the unit of 1~3
and if you was to game in 4k, it would be 1.2~1.6 (the game demands more than the processor can supply in a minute)
meanwhile, word and excel would be factor 0.000001~ 0.0001

and not surprisingly, ray tracing would be around 43200

and as you can see, factor of 2~3 is nothing compared to 43200, and therefore my point

oh, here's an example calculation:
video editing: (1.00*60(mins))/(20 mins worth of video)
gaming: (1.00*0.016(60hz))/( 0.02(50hz))
raytracing (1.00*43200(12 hours))/(1.00 (100% quality or 1 frame)