Is the HyperX Cloud Gaming headset worth it?

GUL

After needing an upgrade from some junky earbuds, I saw Linus' video on the HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset.  After I watched that video I really liked the headset. So my question to you all is is there anything better in the 80-15 price range as the HyperX Cloud that either comes close to it's quality, or even beats it out?  Are there any good headphone/mic combos that would also beat it out?  Price range for me is 80-150. I would love any recommendations that you guys have to offer.  Thanks!

The HD 518/558 or ATH-M50 if you want some bassier/closed headphones and a ModMic would be far more superior to almost all headsets.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

It actually isn't bad, if that's the budget and you already like the look of it then buy it.

Here is a review of the headphone it's based on, it's also similar to a QPAD QH-90 gaming headset.

The HD 518/558 or ATH-M50 if you want some bassier/closed headphones and a ModMic would be far more superior to almost all headsets.

From reviews I'd guess that the cloud is actually bassier, and it isn't the typical shite gaming headset kind of bass.

From reviews I'd guess that the cloud is actually bassier, and it isn't the typical shite gaming headset kind of bass.

Interesting, a headset without horrible bass and 20+ dBr on the low end like Beats.

Mein Führer... I CAN WALK !!

Interesting, a headset without horrible bass and 20+ dBr on the low end like Beats.

Yep, it's kind of a big deal. 

I actually own a pair of these, a full week from purchase now, and I'll say this; If you really like the style of it, and its features, go for it. However if there are better options, go for those.

Within the week I've used them, they're pretty decent, and actually a really good headset. As mentioned by the almighty Linus himself and others, there is a bit more bass, but doesn't ruin the listening experience that much. Highs are pretty decent and the mids are slightly (very slightly) less than decent, for my taste. However certain instruments such as string ensembles in more orchestra-style music sounds a bit soft.

The only real issue I have is the control box thing. The button used to change or pause music (or even activate voice control on iOS) only functions when the mic is connected. However if you don't plan on using the button and just the volume wheel, or even the control box completely, there isn't much bad about it. It's pretty comfortable and light too.

~IMG

The only real issue I have is the control box thing. The button used to change or pause music (or even activate voice control on iOS) only functions when the mic is connected. 

Interesting. It makes sense, but I never thought about it before. You need the circuit to be completed in order for the buttons to work, so they'd have to included some kind of stubby resistor or a secondary stubby mic for people to use the buttons without the boom mic. That's still something to worry about plugging/unplugging and losing though.