HTPC 5.1 over SPDIF

miagisan

I have an older receiver (Yamaha HTR-5540). It kicks some major butt but it is older and lacks HDMI. 

Now i am in the process of building a spare parts HTPC, what i have so far is as follows:

AMD Phenom II x4 965

ASRock Extreme3 870 (rev. 1.0)

Nvidia GTX 265

Now it will be mostly used as a steam stream box and XBMC player. I know its over kill but its parts i have left over from my old computer. so i have 2 questions going forward before buying anything else:

1) Can I transmit sound over simultaneously over the rca outputs or hdmi (i have an hdmi adapter and spdif connector for the vid card -> mobo) as well as the SPDIF (toslink or coaxial as i have both)?

2) I want to transmit the audio signal going to my receiver so it outputs in DTS. Will my spdif headers (toslink and coaxial) transmit to my receiver properly? or do i need a sound card (something <$100)? The asrock site claims : 

1. 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec), Premium Blu-ray audio support

I refuse to read threads whose author does not know how to remove the caps lock! 

— Grumpy old man

FYI, all this info is in the FAQ.

You need a soundcard that can actively code a DTS Stream over S/PDIF for realtime content like video game. Pre-encoded media like movies should work over regular S/PDIF because, well, they're pre-encoded, but there's no way to accomplish this for content like games. A Xonar DS should work for this (it has an adapter for optical, despite there not being a physical port).

Also, I don't think converting from HDMI to S/PDIF will work in any situation, unless you have a really fancy converter.

If you are watching movies on you media PC with a program like powerdvd then there are some setting you can change to allow it to send a Dolby Digital (not sure about DTS at least with powerdvd) signal to your receiver because the 5.1 audio is already decoded within the movie. With movies you motherboard's spdif will be fine but for games that is another story. If you want your games to have DTS or Dolby Digital then you will have to get a sound card since the sounds in the game are always changing the DTS signal needs to be encoded on the fly. The feature on a sound card that supports this is called DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live.

If you are watching movies on you media PC with a program like powerdvd then there are some setting you can change to allow it to send a Dolby Digital (not sure about DTS at least with powerdvd) signal to your receiver because the 5.1 audio is already decoded within the movie. With movies you motherboard's spdif will be fine but for games that is another story. If you want your games to have DTS or Dolby Digital then you will have to get a sound card since the sounds in the game are always changing the DTS signal needs to be encoded on the fly. The feature on a sound card that supports this is called DTS Connect or Dolby Digital Live.

ninja'd  :ph34r:  B)