Sennheiser HD 598 or 650?

Surtur Tech

I think I spent around an hour going back and forth with my HD650s switching between the average onboard motherboard audio and my Mangi/Modi. I could barely tell the difference and it was barely noticeable ... Getting a tube amp soon so hopefully I'll notice a difference with that as I hear the 650s pair with them well.

I think you might end up being disappointed with the lack of a difference in a tube amp as well. I had a little dot stack for awhile and while yes, that thing was damn fine, I could hardly notice the difference in sound between it, onboard, and a FiiO E10, even after a year of listening and comparing. I do sometimes wish I could have that beautiful beast back on my desk, so I'm not entirely trying to convince you against it, but be prepared. 

why are many of you reccomending HD6xx line for gaming? they're crappy for gaming ( atleast for me)

just get HD558 or any Beyerdynamic DT.

Why are they crappy for gaming? I know they're not entirely the best, but they certainly aren't crappy.

The 598s will not need an amp, but the 650 will. The 600s and 650s are both 300 ohm and must be amped. 

This is a common misconception. The 600/650 are sensitive enough to not require an amp, despite their high impedance.250 ohm Beyerdynamics are way harder to drive, and I definitely think those do need an amp, but even <100 ohm AKGs are harder to drive than the 600/650.

Why are they crappy for gaming? I know they're not entirely the best, but they certainly aren't crappy.

I agree. I find the HD650 quite excellent for gaming. In competitive games like CSGO I can always tell where someone is or where the bomb is planted. Also games like Red orchestra 2 and Insurgency 2 sound amazing, it can seriously sound like real life firearms and if you turn up the amplifier a bit.

Also games like Red orchestra 2 and Insurgency 2 sound amazing, it can seriously sound like real life firearms

Everything through a 650 sounds like real life to me.  ^_^

I think you might end up being disappointed with the lack of a difference in a tube amp as well. I had a little dot stack for awhile and while yes, that thing was damn fine, I could hardly notice the difference in sound between it, onboard, and a FiiO E10, even after a year of listening and comparing. I do sometimes wish I could have that beautiful beast back on my desk, so I'm not entirely trying to convince you against it, but be prepared. 

I guess I'll just put that money toward a pair of LCD-2's then ;)

My compooter: http://imgur.com/a/mDFsx?

for the price, you can get better soundstage. for positioning, its not the best either. deep rumbling bass for immersion, you can go beyer for that. And for competitive, audio cues, its blanketed by the not so clear treble extension.

When 2 things meet each other, Quantum stuff happens.

If you're looking for less bass and more treble, go get HD600s. But we're talkin' 650, assuming that's the sound the OP wants, so suggesting a bright, soundstage orientated headphone is probably out.

In Placebo We Trust - Resident Obnoxious Objective Fangirl (R.O.O.F) - Your Eyes Cannot Hear
Haswell Overclocking Guide | Skylake Overclocking GuideCan my amp power my headphones?

for the price, you can get better soundstage. for positioning, its not the best either. deep rumbling bass for immersion, you can go beyer for that. And for competitive, audio cues, its blanketed by the not so clear treble extension.

Right, but like I said, "not the best" is not the same as "crappy" - "for the price" you could indeed do better, but you could also do much worse. 

TBH, you didn't even mention the K712, which is cheaper than the 650, gots dat soundstage, dat treble, and dat base. So, if that's what you're measuring by, u loose I wen.  B)

I guess I'll just put that money toward a pair of LCD-2's then ;)

DO IT MANG

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089