First Attempt sleeving cables, first attempt using paracord.

MontyBonjangles

Hey guys, 

My first real step into modding, I decided to try my hand at sleeving psu cables using paracord, as there is tons of the stuff in our contingent's stores.

The outcome was actually better than expected! (With some minor burns etc,)

I managed to salvage an old radio aerial and split it up to guide the wire though the inside of the outer braid, it catches really easy.

Then flame the bugger when attached to the wire. The melted paracord ends are messy and can really burn. I also used a shooting/heatproof glove to shield my hand from the heat given off by my torch. Though this probably wasn't necessary.  The first two tries were a bit messy, but the third came out quite nice. Must get some heatshrink when I can however.

This was all done on a testing psu that's half broke

Here we see the finished sleeve, the first one I did was apparent, with a few burn and snagging marks.

s9R4kEql.jpg

Here Is the connector end, 'some' burning occurred

ekfKsedl.jpg

The Psu end, I had a hard time gauging the length of each, and thought that could easily be tidied up with some heatshrink.

A4bBrDwl.jpg

I lack mostly the tools to remove the pins (using bent paperclips) and heatshrink.

I think this could really work out for a military themed build (Not that I am doing it, I just have masses of olive green, about 3 30M rolls of it!)

Golly, I sure hope that my internets are all in a safe place...

i guess because its easy to cut yourself :D

Why are you using gloves?

i guess because its easy to cut yourself :D

I had hot tubes to hold, and yes, I might have cut myself :D My knives are very sharp, I shparpen em' once a week.

You can use a lighter and not have to worry about serious injury. According to Lutro0, torches are actually harder to work with.

Hmm, Ill keep that in good mind!

Hmm, Ill keep that in good mind!

Here's a guide that you might be interested in.

Also you may want to consider plastic-type cord for future projects, apparently it's better. Not that paracord is bad or anything.

Thanks for that!

Why are you using gloves?

Also, you could buy this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PC-PSU-Modding-Tool-Kit-Universal-Pin-Remover-/261118389619

Don't buy a kit like that, they are terrible. Get a genuine Molex one, learn to be careful with it, don't jam it in, you will bend and eventually break the pins. The tools in that link, especially the ATX pin remover are awful, the Molex extractor is fine.

/ / 6G V2 - MX Black / Choc Mini - MX Blue / HHKB Pro 2 (Anthracite) - Lubed and dental modded / Poker 2 - MX Black / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL(Beige) - MX Black / Filco TKL(Black) - MX Brown / V60- MX Red / V80 - MX Brown / Winkeyless B.Mini / RS84 / / 

@pexonpcs

Don't buy a kit like that, they are terrible. Get a genuine Molex one, learn to be careful with it, don't jam it in, you will bend and eventually break the pins. The tools in that link, especially the ATX pin remover are awful, the Molex extractor is fine.

I use the Lamptron kit myself.

Is the ATX pin removal tool still alive?

/ / 6G V2 - MX Black / Choc Mini - MX Blue / HHKB Pro 2 (Anthracite) - Lubed and dental modded / Poker 2 - MX Black / Dell AT101W / Filco TKL(Beige) - MX Black / Filco TKL(Black) - MX Brown / V60- MX Red / V80 - MX Brown / Winkeyless B.Mini / RS84 / / 

@pexonpcs

I use gloves for pulling the pins out of the connectors.

I had to use a lot of strength to pull it out and it hurts my hand after doing this individually for each cable.

The gloves really helped reduce the pain from holding the connector strongly and helped me easily remove the cable from the connector.

CPU: Intel 2700k (4.7) MOBO: Asus P8Z77-V DELUXE GPU: Sapphire Vapor-X R9 290X RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengence (1866) CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Noctua NF-F12 Storage: 256GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD (Boot), 64GB Crucial M4 (SSD Cache), 1TB WD Black Cavier, 2TB Hitachi, 2.5TB Buffalo Sound Card: Xonar Essence STX Case: Corsair Graphite 600t w/ full acrylic side PSU: Corsair HX750 (individually sleeved) 
Peripherals: Filco Keyboard (Brown) Razer Deathadder, Sennheiser HD595, Zalman ZM-MIC1, Steelseries Qck Mass mousepad.
Pics of my Rig

You use a torch to melt down your cables? That's a bit over the top :p!

Even I burn my cables sometimes, and I'm only using a lighter :p

Get rid of that torch and go search for some lighters laying around the house ;) you also won't need that glove anymore :p

About these sleeving tools everybody is talking about, don't buy them.. seriously.. I see you used an old antenna to put over your wires, that's how you should do it :) make your own tools!

I also had an old antenna laying around, I now use it to guide wires through paracord sleeving, AND I use it to get molex cables out of the connector :) I think it's the 2nd smallest one you'll need to use for molex cables. Go find out ;)!

For your 24 pin, 4pin, 6pin and 8 pin cables, use paper clips, staplers, anything you can find with a sharp and small end will do. The sleeving tool kit is just a waste of money imo. with the money you saved on that sleeving kit, you can buy another 100 feet of paracord :)

i agree, I've bought that exact kit and the most useful bit was the square of foam that they are packaged with. (now dampening vibrations from my pump). the atx tool just bends all the time and the pins are really difficult to get out with that particular tool.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |

You'll defiantly find it easier to ditch the torch and the gloves and just use a lighter. you'll find it easier because the heat is easier to manage and its easier to hold the small cables without gloves. 

P.s. if you sleeve for long enough you burn your fingers so much you stop feeling it for a few hours.

PC Builder, Engineer... BACON    Project Cobalt: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/38058-project-cobalt-copper-piping-laser-etching-and-more/#entry489258

| NZXT Switch 810 | i5-3570k | gigabyte UD-5H | Corsair Vengeance 8gb ram | GTX 670 | 2x 60gb intel 330 series ssd's in raid 0 | 1tb seagate barracuda hdd | Corsair tx750m | XSPC razor GPU and CPU waterblocks | XSPC d5 vario pump | Thermochill Pa140.3 | phoyba 280mm radiator | Chromed Copper tubing |